Prospect Info: Anders Bjork -Update - signed ELC May 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
You must be a blast to sit next to at a wedding

Wasn't being cynical, it was a sincere question. I feel like it's harder to gauge college players than CHL guys. I'm just worried because Vesey looked pretty subpar with the Rangers after all the hype surrounding him.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Wasn't being cynical, it was a sincere question. I feel like it's harder to gauge college players than CHL guys. I'm just worried because Vesey looked pretty subpar with the Rangers after all the hype surrounding him.
But if it's easier to see NCAA players in your own back yard, rather than relying on stats and other opinions, how can that be harder to gauge?

loozer

Nov 2, 2007
Bay Area
That would be a valid argument if you were not defending someone who only was looking at the scouting and not performance on the ice.

Being a Hobbey Baker finalist basically is saying he was one of the top ten college players in the country, also that pesky all-american thing.

I have only seen him once on a NESN game but the stats say a lot

I would also say the stats indicate a guy who will need at least a half season in the AHL, not a guy who jumps into the top 6 of an NHL team.

I think that's why he's asking why everyone is so excited, because Bjork is probably not a guy who steps into the bruins lineup at the beginning of next year. Truthfully I am excited about Bjork, but I'm not expecting any impact on the bruins team until 2018-19.

Some recent history to explain why...
The last 3 years (not including 2017) hobey finalists have had 4 guys go straight to the NHL and spend the whole season there. 3 of them won the Hobey baker.

Those 4 players...
Johnny Gaudreau 80 pts at BC, 64 with Flames
Jack Eichel 71 pts at BU, 51 with the Sabres
Kevin Hayes 65 pts at BC, 45 with the Rangers
Jimmy Vesey 46 pts at Harvard, 27 with the Rangers.

Better yet, look at the top 40 point getters over those years, and look at the number of kids who went directly to their NHL team and stuck for the full year. The answer... 4.

Stats aren't everything and I've only had a few viewing of Bjork over the years, but unless he takes a big step this summer, signs indicate he'll need some seasoning in the AHL, similar to what Heinen needed this year.

Which while, its great to be excited about, I would also not pencil him into the bruins lineup next year. So, I could understand why someone could read this thread and think we are overly excited.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Donato is now the last guy from the 2014 draft to not yet sign with the Bruins. There's a decent possibility that every pick from that draft will be a hit.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Really shouldn't, never a fan of drafting for need. Draft your guys agnostic to position. These things work themselves out.

that's fine, but Sweeney needs to be careful not to pull a Chia and sit on these prospects for too long. Chia had the opposite situation where he had too many centers and not enough wings. he ended up never making a trade to balance out the prospect pool and ended up losing Koko to Russia and not hitting on any wingers (outside of Pasta).

If Sweeney drafts the best player available at 18 and it's not a center then I think it would be wise for him to trade a winger for a top-end center prospect to add some depth up the middle.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
that's fine, but Sweeney needs to be careful not to pull a Chia and sit on these prospects for too long. Chia had the opposite situation where he had too many centers and not enough wings. he ended up never making a trade to balance out the prospect pool and ended up losing Koko to Russia and not hitting on any wingers (outside of Pasta).

If Sweeney drafts the best player available at 18 and it's not a center then I think it would be wise for him to trade a winger for a top-end center prospect to add some depth up the middle.

More than fair, and again that's only if you're talking about clear cut BPA. If you have 3 guys who are all close diversification is fine.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Seems like a good prospect. I don't see anything that changes the forecast of him being a good energy/two-way 3rd liner. Maybe he can be a Peverley type. People have to remember that he was 20 years old this season playing against younger weaker competition. Donato is another example of this. Donato should dominate he has been at Harvard forever, when he hits the AHL/NHL things will change, Vesey was significantly better than Donato in the NCAA and he was nothing to write home about after all the hype. I just hope Bjork can bring some speed and jump to the 3rd line at some point, it would not be fair to project him as a top 2 line player.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

I don't know what there is to "worry" about. He signed with the club that drafted him to a standard entry level contract long before he was even close to pulling a Vesey and going UFA. It doesn't sound like he was promised the moon and the stars and playing time on the top two lines and a huge bonus.

He's either going to be a good NHL player or not. Simple as that.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
When you are barely a 20 goal scorer, it's never good to go to a Clode coached team that inherently makes player stats second fiddle to the system.

While that's true, CJ wasn't here the whole year yet he still didn't show any improvement under Butch...
I guess now it's Butch's fault?:shakehead
File this under: Lazy, slow and/or entitled!

On the Bjork signing: Super job Donny. I hate "what could've been's) AB will be here for at least 3 years, that is 3 years to prove that he was worth it and belongs. While I don't think that he'll be the forward equivalent of McAvoy, I also don't expect him to step up and own a BB roster spot for a couple years.
Re Vesey: I don't think that his first NHL year is what he will be judged by. If by year three he hasn't blossomed then I'd say "bust" but not at least until then.

Re our prospects: It's now time for the front office to made some decisions and make some (trade) noise. I EXPECT to see some prospects moved for some veteran talent.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Not everyone gets to watch all of the prospects we have in our system, so it's a fair question IMO. With how this forum tends to be a huge hype machine, having some general discussion on it wouldn't hurt. I remember when Jared Knight was penciled in for the 2nd line before playing 5 games in Prov.

Like mentioned already, he barely played at Worlds. Anyone know why that was?

Regardless of his playing time at worlds, I think think he's got an above average chance to succeed. Best player in the ice most of the time I watched him in the NCAA and I Think his style translates well. .

However I do agree that the draft pick hype is overblown here. I remember not too long ago seeing some posts that insinuated about 3/4 of the Bs picks would pan out...and when posting some stats about the success rate of picks which refuted that assumption, getting berated.

This is a good signing and the Bs have drafted very well IMO. But they're not all gonna make a big impact.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Not everyone gets to watch all of the prospects we have in our system, so it's a fair question IMO. With how this forum tends to be a huge hype machine, having some general discussion on it wouldn't hurt. I remember when Jared Knight was penciled in for the 2nd line before playing 5 games in Prov.

Like mentioned already, he barely played at Worlds. Anyone know why that was?
FWIW, seems like every fan base hypes their prospects. You can Take what you hear with that in mind and reach you own assessments. Over time you'll get a sense of what is hype and what is realistic.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Seems like a good prospect. I don't see anything that changes the forecast of him being a good energy/two-way 3rd liner. Maybe he can be a Peverley type.
Peverley's actually not a bad comparison for Bjork. If Bjork's future is as a 3rd line, then I think it's likely as a high end 3rd liner.

People have to remember that he was 20 years old this season playing against younger weaker competition.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/funfacts-ageavg.php

Donato is another example of this. Donato should dominate he has been at Harvard forever
Ryan Donato just finished his Sophomore season. He played most of this season as a 20-year old. He's still relatively young as far as college players go.

Vesey was significantly better than Donato in the NCAA and he was nothing to write home about after all the hype.
Ryan Donato has as many points as a sophomore as Jimmy Vesey had in his first two years at Harvard combined.

I just hope Bjork can bring some speed and jump to the 3rd line at some point, it would not be fair to project him as a top 2 line player.
He's got a chance. He's got plus speed, plus hands, and plus hockey sense.

That said, no one should ever be surprised when a player coming out of college or Juniors needs some time in the AHL, no matter how talented he is.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Does he project as a first line center? I know he turned it on offensively this year but he strikes me as more of a Backes type, 2nd line center , 3rd on a very deep team

Think the bruins will be looking for a center in this year's draft
I agree with this. I see Frederic's ceiling as basically Backes.

Anyways really happy to see this get done. I was worried Bjork might go the the Vesey route. Our prospect pool is looking mighty deep right about now.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Seems like a good prospect. I don't see anything that changes the forecast of him being a good energy/two-way 3rd liner. Maybe he can be a Peverley type. People have to remember that he was 20 years old this season playing against younger weaker competition. Donato is another example of this. Donato should dominate he has been at Harvard forever, when he hits the AHL/NHL things will change, Vesey was significantly better than Donato in the NCAA and he was nothing to write home about after all the hype. I just hope Bjork can bring some speed and jump to the 3rd line at some point, it would not be fair to project him as a top 2 line player.

Kirk Luedeke writes about Bjork's potential. He projects a top 6 role for the youngster at some point.

Versatility and speed/pace are Bjork’s calling cards: he can play any of the forward positions and while playing more on the right side in his last two campaigns under head coach Jeff Jackson, he started out as a left wing in South Bend and could potentially slot in alongside David Krejci sometime soon given his style and smarts. Bjork played some center in Ann Arbor with the NTDP, so that Swiss Army Knife flavor is something that the B’s (and every team for that matter) look for in their forwards.

He’s an explosive skater- getting up to speed in just a few slashing strides, and he is dangerously creative, able to thread the needle with pinpoint passes or take pucks to the net himself. He can dangle or snap off shots in tight spaces. Like JFK- he’s a three-zone player, and with his wheels and head- we’re sold. Bjork is the real deal and the B’s were ahead of the curve on him- it’s about time to be rewarded for that foresight.

https://scoutingpost.com/category/anders-bjork/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad