Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Was gonna see if anyone got Elden Ring, I'm gonna dive in this weekend.

Me and the wife watched that new Vikings show on Netflix, wasn't as good as the History Channel series but still enjoyable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Was gonna see if anyone got Elden Ring, I'm gonna dive in this weekend.

I have it but haven't got to do a deep dive, yet. When I first launched it this weekend I spent 30 minutes troubleshooting why my controller wouldn't work (if you have any additional input peripherals hooked up, the game can't figure out what to use) and then dealing with frame drops and stuttering on PC.

FromSoft is a brilliant company but they cannot make a decent PC port to save their lives. Hopefully the next round of patches helps things out and I can get that deep dive going.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They have rentals I can use for the irons

best advice I got was work on your short game. It's going to take you two shots minimum to reach 90% of the holes, and those shots from 150 yads and in count just as much as those 300 yard bombs from the tee. Those clubs 8-9-wedges and the putter will take shots off your game quicker than anything.

First time I broke par I hit nothing but irons off the tee.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Absolutely amazing game.
Is there an existing game (or combination thereof) that it is similar to? I've only heard the general hype, but have not dug into what it's really about or how it plays.

For example, the Dark Souls series is held in very high regard by its fans, and is (too frequently) used as a reference point for other games. (I don't happen to be a fan of that degree of dodging and dying, but to each their own.)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
best advice I got was work on your short game. It's going to take you two shots minimum to reach 90% of the holes, and those shots from 150 yads and in count just as much as those 300 yard bombs from the tee. Those clubs 8-9-wedges and the putter will take shots off your game quicker than anything.

First time I broke par I hit nothing but irons off the tee.
Hopefully these lessons will help me with actually hitting the ball consistently lol. The swing feels so weird as im used to the baseball swing.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there an existing game (or combination thereof) that it is similar to? I've only heard the general hype, but have not dug into what it's really about or how it plays.

For example, the Dark Souls series is held in very high regard by its fans, and is (too frequently) used as a reference point for other games. (I don't happen to be a fan of that degree of dodging and dying, but to each their own.)

It is basically a next-gen Dark Souls game that is open-world and plays and looks fantastic.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hopefully these lessons will help me with actually hitting the ball consistently lol. The swing feels so weird as im used to the baseball swing.

I made that transition, too. If you're looking for some reading on golf, I'd suggest The Little Red Book by Harvey Penick. Really, all of the Penick books. Part golf instruction, part life instruction.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm not a fan. But I'm pretty indifferent to sweets.

I did several years as a vegetarian. That's not a terribly difficult commitment. Still having most dairy on the table makes adjustments rather simple.

Going to vegan, despite what vegans tell you about how effortless they do it, is a bit of a commitment. Like you can't just go out and enjoy your foods and drinks without doing some investigation... Lest you end up with random honey in your beer or random butter in basically anything.

I know that seems like a low bar, and my vegan best friend reminds me of that, but there's a certain mental freedom about not having to analyze ever food and drink decision when you're away from home.

All of that said, I'd likely be healthier and ultimately happier if I ate a vegan diet so... Jokes on me, I suppose.

The balance I've found on this is to be vegan at home and a little more vegetarian socially. Groceries and take out are pretty easy, as I mostly do oatmeals, smoothies, rices, pastas, salads, sandwiches, etc.

But I also live in downtown D.C. in my 20s, so I go out a fair bit with friends/coworkers/dates/etc. If I can do vegan, great. If I munch on something with a bit of butter, milk, or feta, all good.

I'll probably never earn a seat on the Vegan High Council, but I've found that balance let's me get 99% of what I want out of my diet without inconveniencing my social circle.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The balance I've found on this is to be vegan at home and a little more vegetarian socially. Groceries and take out are pretty easy, as I mostly do oatmeals, smoothies, rices, pastas, salads, sandwiches, etc.

But I also live in downtown D.C. in my 20s, so I go out a fair bit with friends/coworkers/dates/etc. If I can do vegan, great. If I munch on something with a bit of butter, milk, or feta, all good.

I'll probably never earn a seat on the Vegan High Council, but I've found that balance let's me get 99% of what I want out of my diet without inconveniencing my social circle.

This is a refreshing take and basically how I'd operate if I ever took the plunge.

Like I get having a diet and ethics, I do, I'm completely empathetic to it. It's why I didn't eat meat for years.

But the 100% adherence OR ELSE baffles me. Like if trace amounts of dairy slip into your meal... Just deal?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is a refreshing take and basically how I'd operate if I ever took the plunge.

Like I get having a diet and ethics, I do, I'm completely empathetic to it. It's why I didn't eat meat for years.

But the 100% adherence OR ELSE baffles me. Like if trace amounts of dairy slip into your meal... Just deal?

For some people, I'm sure it gives them a sense of identity.
For others, I'm sure it's something akin to abstaining from alcohol.

And lastly and by far the smallest group, the actual medically founded reason why you can't. Allergies/unable to process dairy, etc. These do exist so I don't want to shame them, but the majority of times it is 100% a chance and not a medical demandant.

You'll never get your vegan powers.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

All you can really do is the best you can and do what makes you comfortable. WGAF what other people think. I'm a research guy by nature so I always plan ahead to avoid such things. And if something did come with butter on it I would just give it to my human garbage disposal. :laugh:

Reactions: Bench

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

it's been a few (15?) years since I was last in DC, but I remember a lot of great places to eat. I stayed near Dupont Circle and it was such a fun place. Wish I could remember the place but it was the only time I've had legitimately good vegan buffalo wings.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
My girlfriend wanted to start Keto last month. It's not toooooo bad, but God I miss bread and Carbs. I've lost 10 pounds and she's lost 15 in the past month+, so it definitely works, but there are concessions one makes. Lots of Vodka Sodas. I miss beer. Whiskey is still dope, though.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
My girlfriend wanted to start Keto last month. It's not toooooo bad, but God I miss bread and Carbs. I've lost 10 pounds and she's lost 15 in the past month+, so it definitely works, but there are concessions one makes. Lots of Vodka Sodas. I miss beer. Whiskey is still dope, though.

Careful you don’t have a brain aneurysm while taking a dump!:thumbu:

Reactions: Konnan511

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad