Speculation: and the plot thickens... (Evander Kane insists he was a healthy scratch vs. Chicago)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
CBC Winnipeg sports guy. He's a bit green, but gets the job done.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Mitch Peacock is CBC 's version of Sara Orlesky. Same build, too.

I'm calling it now...Kane will lead the charge to oust Noel among the players. At first, some on this board will decry him as a "coach killer". Then they will realize Noel was not an actual NHL coach. Within two years, the Jets will be playoff contenders and fans will appreciate Kane having the cajones to punt Noel.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Mitch Peacock is CBC 's version of Sara Orlesky. Same build, too.

I'm calling it now...Kane will lead the charge to oust Noel among the players. At first, some on this board will decry him as a "coach killer". Then they will realize Noel was not an actual NHL coach. Within two years, the Jets will be playoff contenders and fans will appreciate Kane having the cajones to punt Noel.

That's interesting, I was kinda thinking that.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Interesting stuff..

Coach, meet under the bus, your player just threw you there.

I honestly kind of thought after the commotion TSN made with this the other night, that it would have been put to rest by somebody within the organization. To have a coach say one thing and a player now continuously stating the opposite... it doesn't look good. :dunno:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yep, I just posted about this in the gdt. Evander is pretty much in full-on revolt mode at this point afaic...

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Sara Orlesky ‏@saraorlesky 5m

Two days later and Evander Kane continues to insist that he was a healthy scratch on Wed v. CHI. Noel hasn't spoken to media yet #TSN

Wonder what Noel will say, if anything.

Aela*

I really, really, really, really hope this gets Noel out of here.

Although didn't someone from the organization say Kane wasn't cleared medically?

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
That's interesting, I was kinda thinking that.

I can see it coming down like that. Kane is a budding superstar and Noel is a confused guy trying to his best to resemble an NHL coach. Kane is growing in his leadership and influence in the locker room and Noel has likely lost most of the room. Most of the Jets are good ol' Canadian boys and the Yankees are mostly from Minnesota (probably the most "Canadian" of any US state) so they're too polite or mindful of TNSE to speak up. But Kane knows he is a superstar and will speak up because he likely knows that to TNSE: Kane >>>>>>>>>>> Noel

so he knows where chips will fall when/if this plays out.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Have you heard the interview with Kane? He's asked if there is a problem with the coach to which his response is "I don't want to discuss that right now."

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Yeah I reaaaallly want to hear Noel's answer when posed this question. He will probably just shrug it off as taking precaution, but it could get interesting.

Watch him bench Evander for calling him out :laugh:

:cry:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 3m

Kane:"I felt healthy enough to play. My definition of a healthy scratch is a healthy player not playing.That was my interpretation"#NHLJets

I can see where Kane is coming from, he felt good enough to go, he's passionate, he wants out there. Players play with bumps and bruises every night, Kane likely feels he could have done the same.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 1m

Noel says he respects Evander's opinion, but it was a "coach's decision" and they have a protocol to follow. #NHLJets

PATRICK WILLIAMS ‏@pwilliamsNHL 1m

Noel insists Kane scratch was injury-related. Spoke w Kane, respects his opinion.

So they spoke, obviously disagreed, and it's still coming out in interviews. Not good. Deal with it and leave it behind closed doors.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 3m said:
Kane:"I felt healthy enough to play. My definition of a healthy scratch is a healthy player not playing.That was my interpretation"#NHLJets
I can see where Kane is coming from, he felt good enough to go, he's passionate, he wants out there. Players play with bumps and bruises every night, Kane likely feels he could have done the same.

But at the same time, unless something's completely broken I feel like a player is almost always going to want to play. I mean, that passion and competition is why we pay these guys.

Kane isn't a medical professional - I just want to know if team doctors cleared Kane to play. But if they did and he was still scratched.... I dunno :shakehead . Off with Noel's head, I suppose.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Nice to see a maturing Kane he is really rounding out to be a real leader on this team.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
But at the same time, unless something's completely broken I feel like a player is almost always going to want to play. I mean, that passion and competition is why we pay these guys.

Kane isn't a medical professional - I just want to know if team doctors cleared Kane to play. But if they did and he was still scratched.... I dunno :shakehead . Off with Noel's head, I suppose.

Absolutely, I think you're definitely right.

It just appears Kane was truthfully ready to go, and is having a difficult time accepting he wasn't put back in the line-up. If Kane was not medically cleared to play he likely would not have partaken in the pre-game, is my line of thought. But, I could be wrong.

I still am not a big fan that this is being taken to the media like it is. But, these guys are human and it may speak to the level of frustration they have towards Noel. :dunno:

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
To anyone suggesting Kane is or should be a lockeroom leader and wear a letter...his handling of this situation is proof of the exact opposite.

Hnidy nailed Kane to the wall yesterday morning on 1290 and it was pretty difficult to disagree with anything he said.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
To anyone suggesting Kane is or should be a lockeroom leader and wear a letter...his handling of this situation is proof of the exact opposite.

Hnidy nailed Kane to the wall yesterday morning on 1290 and it was pretty difficult to disagree with anything he said.

Hnidy nailed Kane for saying he felt ready to play.

Stuart did this a couple weeks back and nobody made a fuss.

Noel was asked about it later and made a comment about how you have to protect players from themselves.

I don't like Kane airing it out again, but the original issue wasn't that big of a deal IMO.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nice to see a maturing Kane he is really rounding out to be a real leader on this team.

Not sure if serious but I actually LIKE this by Kane. The guy wants to friggin play and win. He isn't playing for a contract. Thank friggin God one person on this team actually speaks their mind and doesn't regurgitate the same old **** every player does.

I hope he's fed up with Noel's terrible coaching and is trying to get him fired. Good on him for caring enough to try and foster change.

If the org. sides with Noel and moves Kane it will be legendarily idiotic. I will seriously question whether we have an Oilersesque old boys club happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad