Blue Jays Discussion: and the Adventures of Jose Reyes in the Infield

Status
Not open for further replies.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Exactly. The only one who might be close to as untouchable as Stroman is Donaldson.

I have minor concerns that the Jays are going to overpay for a starter by including both Norris and Hoffman in a single deal. I have no concerns that they're going to move Stroman.

Trade Norris and Hoffman eh? FML let's hope you're concerns don't come to fruition

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If we give up stroman I don't know what I'll do.

Maybe just stop watching baseball since I don't really have another team I like.

The only conceivable way they give up Stroman is in a trade for a legitimate ace (Cueto, Price, Hamels...) who they then sign to a long-term deal.

I can't see any scenario where they trade Stroman (a major league ready starter and potential ace, once he's healthy) in a deal for a rental when they know Dickey and Buerhle are gone after this season.

Also remember, Stroman has repeatedly said he will pitch this September. It's possible he could help this team during the stretch drive.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Trade Norris and Hoffman eh? FML let's hope you're concerns don't come to fruition

You'll likely have to deal one of the two to get anything of significance back in return.

I will say that AA tends to package a quantity of lesser assets rather than blue chips. The Donaldson deal, Escobar deal, Happ deal, and the Marlins deal off the top of my head support this.

The only real deal in which a blue chip was moved was the Dickey deal.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
You'll likely have to deal one of the two to get anything of significance back in return.

And I'm of the belief that we are best served using them ourselves instead of doing a dickeyesque trade again. There is also the very realistic chance that after that trade we still dont make the playoffs and are now out one of our top two pitching prospects who are very near to being MLB ready.

I just hate it. I've always hated the leafs doing this crap going all the way back to that stupid Owen nolan trade (amongst others).

The quick fix rarely works...

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The only conceivable way they give up Stroman is in a trade for a legitimate ace (Cueto, Price, Hamels...) who they then sign to a long-term deal.

I can't see any scenario where they trade Stroman (a major league ready starter and potential ace, once he's healthy) in a deal for a rental when they know Dickey and Buerhle are gone after this season.

Also remember, Stroman has repeatedly said he will pitch this September. It's possible he could help this team during the stretch drive.

Honestly, I don't even think those trades would happen. What's more valuable: Stroman for a couple years at league minimum and then a few more at arbitration or Cueto/Price/Hamels at $20 million+ into their mid-30s?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And I'm of the belief that we are best served using them ourselves instead of doing a dickeyesque trade again. There is also the very realistic chance that after that trade we still dont make the playoffs and are now out one of our top two pitching prospects who are very near to being MLB ready.

I just hate it. I've always hated the leafs doing this crap going all the way back to that stupid Owen nolan trade (amongst others).

It doesn't have to be a quick fix if they target someone like Ross/Cashner who has some control left. I don't want them to give up both Norris and Hoffman, but I'm ok with them trading one as part of a package to bring in a starter. Having said that, I'll be really disappointed if they trade Tellez or Alford or Reid-Foley too, so... I don't. We'll see what happens.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

If you can acquire the pitching equivalent of a Josh Donaldson (i.e. Jose Quintana) then it's not a quick fix.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
If you can acquire the pitching equivalent of a Josh Donaldson (i.e. Jose Quintana) then it's not a quick fix.

Well, If we can get something like that I would be a little less upset obviously.

I don't see thst happening though as that was a bit of a different type of move imo.

If you want a player during the regular season ur going to pay a solid premium. Particularly if its for starting pitching.

Wouldn't everyone rather build up a rotation like Tampa? These guys draft and develop their own pitchers and as a result they can keep them under control for a lot longer and at cheaper prices IMO.

Toronto sports always seem to do the opposite...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well, If we can get something like that I would be a little less upset obviously.

I don't see thst happening though as that was a bit of a different type of move imo.

If you want a player during the regular season ur going to pay a solid premium. Particularly if its for starting pitching.

Wouldn't everyone rather build up a rotation like Tampa? These guys draft and develop their own pitchers and as a result they can keep them under control for a lot longer and at cheaper prices IMO.

Jays don't have any bats. Where are they going to get the bats down the road when those pitchers are ready? EE, Joey, Martin, and maybe even JD won't be around when those pitchers fully develop. We have been looking to the future for a long time, the problem is that it never comes. TB has all these pitchers right now, but they have the same record as us because they can't hit for ****. You have the bats right now, go for it. You don't know what will happen 2, 3, 4, 5 years down the road.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Jays don't have any bats. Where are they going to get the bats down the road when those pitchers are ready? EE, Joey, Martin, and maybe even JD won't be around when those pitchers fully develop. We have been looking to the future for a long time, the problem is that it never comes. TB has all these pitchers right now, but they have the same record as us because they can't hit for ****. You have the bats right now, go for it. You don't know what will happen 2, 3, 4, 5 years down the road.

So we want to mortgage the future because ee and Joey bats are old? Seems dumb to me. Perhaps we should have been spending money on big time free agents like price or shields If you didn't want to waste EE and JBs prime years.

Tampa proves that you don't need amazing offense to make the postseason if you have pitching. Said pitching can also take you all the way to the WS.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So we want to mortgage the future because ee and Joey bats are old? Seems dumb to me. Perhaps we should have been spending money on big time free agents like price or shields If you didn't want to waste EE and JBs prime years.

Tampa proves that you don't need amazing offense to make the postseason if you have pitching. Said pitching can also take you all the way to the WS.

Hey, it's your golden boy AA who is at fault here. I hope his ass gets canned if the Jays are not in contention 2 months from now. He had money available to create a really great team, but he ****ed it up.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

No they're viewing it as a limited window with the current lineup as constructed to win. The Jays aren't going to get a big time free agent pitcher the bidding for Cueto, Price, Grienke, Zimmerman starts at 20 mil+. I don't think Samardzjia is in that class but his bidding likely starts at close to 20.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No they're viewing it as a limited window with the current lineup as constructed to win. The Jays aren't going to get a big time free agent pitcher the bidding for Cueto, Price, Grienke, Zimmerman starts at 20 mil+. I don't think Samardzjia is in that class but his bidding likely starts at close to 20.

Yeah, there's no way the Jays would pay a pitcher $20 million.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yeah, there's no way the Jays would pay a pitcher $20 million.

I know you're trying to be a smart ass because Buehrle is getting paid $20 mil. What do you think the odds are of attracting one of the above pitchers I mentioned. Like I said bidding starts at $20+ mil, opportunity some of them will have money deferred, deals in the area of 6 to 7 years. They didn't sign Buehrle to that deal either they traded for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@SNBarryDavis: Could it possibly be Dioner Navarro?

@jonmorosi: Source: #Mariners close to trading for a catcher. @FOXSports

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

The focus should always be to draft and develop your own pitching, because it's the cheapest, most effective way of accruing a valuable resource.

That being said, not all pitching prospects pan out, and not all development paths are linear. Sometimes you must trade prospects you've developed, employing them as capital, because many times their peak value is prior to ever making it to the major leagues.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@jonmorosi: Sources: Mariners and Braves discussed deal involving A.J. Pierzynski, but he's not the catcher Seattle is close to acquiring. @FOXSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad