Confirmed with Link: And the 2013-14 Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy goes to...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
He deserves it. Gionta is seriously underrated... He's a true professional and an excellent 3rd line shutdown player. I have never, ever seen him dog it, he gives 100% every shift and is a good example for everyone, vet or rookie.

If we didn't already have Gallagher, Desharnais and Briere I would re-sign Gionta in a second. They still might.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He deserves it. Gionta is seriously underrated... He's a true professional and an excellent 3rd line shutdown player. I have never, ever seen him dog it, he gives 100% every shift and is a good example for everyone, vet or rookie.

If we didn't already have Gallagher, Desharnais and Briere I would re-sign Gionta in a second. They still might.

Just look at some of the responses here, it's sad. He's not the offensive player he once was but he's one of the most productive forwards on this team despite usually playing in a difficult role.

Resigning him is not a priority, Markov and Vanek come first, but if we can get him for cheap...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Just look at some of the responses here, it's sad. He's not the offensive player he once was but he's one of the most productive forwards on this team despite usually playing in a difficult role.

Resigning him is not a priority, Markov and Vanek come first, but if we can get him for cheap...

Pretty much. Dude does his ****ing job. Ideally you could get him on a 1 year deal, but he'd never take that.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Yeah, I have no problem with Gionta. Vastly overpaid for what he does, but he is a good team guy and has a terrific work ethic. If we didn't have so many diminutive forwards, I would be on board with extending him at half his current salary for a year or two.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

It was the same with Koivu...there's not much to dislike about either guy yet people find a way.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

This is a false narrative. He dogged it just the other night against Chicago, against the boards he half-assed it and gave the puck away and we got scored on. Just the other night.

He doesn't give 100% every shift, no one does. Not one player does that, much less a 35 year old mercenary who signed for the highest bidder during the tail-end of Gainey's PCP trip.

He's a decent player, one would even say he's serviceable on any team, and a good leader to boot. But there are so many god damn flaws to his game that it's insulting to suggest that he's excellent in any way.

How many times has he shot from the hashmarks instead of driving to the net? If he's such a warrior he'd take the punishment like Gallagher does. You might be confusing Gallagher and Gionta actually. Yeah, that might be it.

39 points in 80 games, 17 goals. He's supposed to be a veteran 2nd line winger?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
How many times has he shot from the hashmarks instead of driving to the net? If he's such a warrior he'd take the punishment like Gallagher does. You might be confusing Gallagher and Gionta actually. Yeah, that might be it.

Gionta spent over a decade playing Gallagher's game. If you really think Gallagher's going to be playing the same game he does today when he's 35, you're in for something of a let down.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gionta spent over a decade playing Gallagher's game. If you really think Gallagher's going to be playing the same game he does today when he's 35, you're in for something of a let down.

Then they shouldn't extend Gallagher at 35, just like they shouldn't extend Gionta.

Gionta never played that "Gallagher" game with the Habs or for the Habs, I don't get why people bring his past accomplishments on a legendarily disciplined and structured Devils team into his "legacy" as a 0.5ppg winger as a Hab - one season which was the worst Habs record in a long, long time.

I'll give him this though - he's proved to be a fine captain despite my many reservations. We'll see if the Habs are yet again a one-and-done team in the playoffs though, maybe it'll change.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
They didn't extend Gionta yet, they just gave him a trophy. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Even if he didn't play the "Gallagher" game here, he still scored 30 goals for us twice, and was on pace to hit more or less the same target in the shortened season. He has been a reasonably productive player for most of his tenure here considering his age, stature, linemates, etc.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
They didn't extend Gionta yet, they just gave him a trophy. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Even if he didn't play the "Gallagher" game here, he still scored 30 goals for us twice, and was on pace to hit more or less the same target in the shortened season. He has been a reasonably productive player for most of his tenure here considering his age, stature, linemates, etc.
It's the rest of the posters in this thread discussing a Gionta extension, I didn't bring it up.

Good for him that he got an award. I was responding to the FALSE narrative of him being some 100% effort Mark Messier type when he just plain is not and his defensive game is far from being a game-breaker. I'd hate to see him try to contain Marleau and Thornton. Or even Lucic and Bergeron.

Our team this year had offensive issues until the deadline so most players' final tally is on the low end but sub-40 points should not be acceptable for a 5m, 2nd line winger on a team with cup aspirations - no matter how nice their goatee.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Good for him. He's a warrior but his time with the Habs has come to an end. If we want to lose the small team label, he's got to be let go. Surely there's still a team willing to give him a shot. N.J maybe?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

My sentiments exactly.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Good for him. He's a warrior but his time with the Habs has come to an end. If we want to lose the small team label, he's got to be let go. Surely there's still a team willing to give him a shot. N.J maybe?

I'd bet NJ would take him. "The return of our old hero, to play with his brother" is a good narrative for a franchise that needs to fill seats.

I hope this award is a going-away present from the Habs, the playoffs should determine whether the team keeps the "Get Small" strategy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No qualms with Gionta getting it, and he is exactly what Waffledave and Andy described earlier.

One thing though : ... was Markov deemed TOO good for that award?

I can understand not giving it to Pacioretty, Price and Subban to a certain extent.

And I can also understand not giving it to Desharnais -- not that he's getting any award anyways, but the Jacques Beauchamp usually doesn't go that type of player.

But... Markov?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Markov was the one I thought maybe could have got some recognition. Or Plekanec really does what Gionta does, better. But indeed, maybe they are just "too good" ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad