Friedman: and Fourth Period: Seabrook asked about waiving NTC but does not seem interested in doing so

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I see that point and I'm not disputing it. I'm just against the notion that it's all the owners fault when both Keith and Seabrook at the time of their contracts went into those discussions fully knowing that they wanted to win and the cap was a serious challenge to them accomplishing both goals winning cups multiple and getting paid. So they fully knew that around the age 32 they would seriously start to decline especially being a defenseman.

Now their still getting paid no matter what and what if tomorrow Keith says I'm retiring his contract would screw the hawks because of the recapture penalty he fully knows he could screw Chicago over and let's say he does do that all these fans who want to keep him would be screaming for his head.

That's all I just think both parties involved didn't make the best choice in these contracts
with ref to Keith, his contract came before modern hockey and salary cap.

ref to Seabs, i still maintain that Seabs had every right to sign a contract that the FO put in front of him. it is at this time that the owner agrees to take all the consequences that comes with such a move. thereby eliminating any conjecture of the legality of the contract. they the owner went into this with both eye open and not pressure being exerted.

Reactions: 1989

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Someone correct me if my information is wrong or not correct. Keith got divorced and if he went to Vancouver he would be closer to his kids I heard.

Is that correct? And if so Keith has accomplished so many accolades that leaving Chicago and being closer to his kids and this point in his career wouldn't be a bad thing for him or the team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Someone correct me if my information is wrong or not correct. Keith got divorced and if he went to Vancouver he would be closer to his kids I heard.

Is that correct? And if so Keith has accomplished so many accolades that leaving Chicago and being closer to his kids and this point in his career wouldn't be a bad thing for him or the team.
i see where you are going, but you are trying to circumvent the discussion by insert said player internal family dynamics.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Is there something a player can write into his contract, forbidding a team from essentially asking him to waive clauses in their contracts?

It’s in essence trying to renegotiate a contract midway through ... and using the media to create public pressure on that player. It’s a form of bullying isn’t it?

Maybe if I’m a player I say I’ll waive if you give ticket holders a rebate & lower present ticket prices by 1%, or even half a percent.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i truly appreciate this discussion, i needs to go.

so i will say and close this with a visual reprensentation of my opinion on SB with his trades for the most part. his scouting and draft is excellent.

but for his trade.....

he would first have to REMOVE his head from his posterior and let some oxygen in before he agrees with any future trades.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Is there something a player can write into his contract, forbidding a team from essentially asking him to waive clauses in their contracts?

It’s in essence trying to renegotiate a contract midway through ... and using the media to create public pressure on that player. It’s a form of bullying isn’t it?

Bullying? Please people in general especially the millennials think they don't have to work for things and nobody is entitled to criticize people.

Handouts sound great until the bill comes due .nothing is free .

Also the team has expectations as well these players are expected to live up to the value of their contract. Age isn't a excuse remember we don't discriminate so neither should a player think that because he is older he doesn't haven't to give or produce and the value of his contract.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Bullying? Please people in general especially the millennials think they don't have to work for things and nobody is entitled to criticize people.

Handouts sound great until the bill comes due .nothing is free .

Also the team has expectations as well these players are expected to live up to the value of their contract. Age isn't a excuse remember we don't discriminate so neither should a player think that because he is older he doesn't haven't to give or produce and the value of his contract.
Do you think the team is putting the renegotiation of their contract out there to the public to hopefully pressure the player into giving in to it or not?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Yes....that's exactly what it means. You can bench him....but you are still paying him 100% of his salary and cap.

And benching him would be sending a message of how you may be treated in Chicago to any players that may consider signing a long term contract in the future with the Blackhawks.
The optics would be terrible.

Reactions: Liferleafer

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Maybe if I’m a player I say I’ll waive if you give ticket holders a rebate & lower present ticket prices by 1%, or even half a percent.
bullying ??? that word is more of a misnomer, more along the lines of logical fallacy of what you are trying to point out.

what you are trying to do is create a form of getting allies in thinking along the line of what you want.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
And benching him would be sending a message of how you may be treated in Chicago to any players that may consider signing a long term contract in the future with the Blackhawks.
The optics would be terrible.
in this situation i really think the world of pro hockey will understand the reasoning.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Watching taylorst struggle with homophones is incredibly satisfying. I hope this thread never ends!

Reactions: Pez68

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Buyout Keith this summer, then Seabrook the next if he doesn't waive it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Buyout Keith this summer, then Seabrook the next if he doesn't waive it.
for discussion only.

is getting rid of Keith really necessary ?? i mean if done right, Keith can slide in the 2nd or 3rd pairing d-men.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
bullying ??? that word is more of a misnomer, more along the lines of logical fallacy of what you are trying to point out.

what you are trying to do is create a form of getting allies in thinking along the line of what you want.
Is there a term for someone who instigates bullies then?

They’re purposely trying to incite people to hate on their business partner (the player) and by association their families.

And they’ll accept any individual out there as an ally. The nuttier, the greater amount of pressure, and the better for getting what they want.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Is there a term for someone who instigates bullies then?

They’re purposely trying to incite people to hate on their business partner (the player) and their families.

And they’ll accept any individual out there as an ally. The nuttier, the greater amount of pressure, and the better for getting what they want.
while you may be right, i just can't see as a bully tactic . however if you and other do, that is kool and i stand corrected per your opinion and logic.

Reactions: middletoe

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
while you may be right, i just can't see as a bully tactic . however if you and other do, that is kool and i stand corrected per your opinion and logic.
My logic also tells me my opinion could be wrong. Don’t like to be too sure of anything. Might miss out on the truth. :)

Reactions: LDF

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

...Humm... If anything, the team, by asking, is sticking to the terms of the agreement.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Apparently Seabrook just told reporters that he wasn't asked to waive his NMC. So take that for what it is.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I'm sure neither Seabrook nor Keith were outright asked to waive. They were probably asked if they wanted to stay for the rebuild or if they wanted to be moved to a contender. It was probably presented as a courtesy to them both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad