Friedman: and Fourth Period: Seabrook asked about waiving NTC but does not seem interested in doing so

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Chicago Blackhawks have approached veteran defenceman Brent Seabrook about waiving his no-movement clause, but it appears the 33-year-old is not interested in exploring a move.
During Saturday night’s “Headlines” segment on Hockey Night in Canada, Elliotte Friedman reported the Blackhawks asked Seabrook about waiving his NMC for the right situation.

Hawks ask Seabrook to waive no-move — The Fourth Period

Im guessing someone made the hawks an offer?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Interesting. Keith must've been asked too...but it seems he's didn't decline otherwise Friedman would've heard.

Guess Keith could be on the move.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He doesn't want to uproot his (and others) life at this point. Makes sense.

Who can blame him. You read about how hard it is on people like Mike McKenna and his family and you actually start to feel bad for these millionaires. No sarcasm. It's a rough business on family life.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I think he might waive for Vancouver.. but is Benning willing to take him on?
If we want to do a sh*t for sh*t trade, I wouldn't mind -

Seabrook
for
Gagner
Gudbranson

THey still have some term left, but not as long as Seabs. Not much cap savings, but more of a long term move.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Hawks probably would like to sign Panarin but they can’t get rid of some of those bad contracts they gave out

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who can blame him. You read about how hard it is on people like Mike McKenna and his family and you actually start to feel bad for these millionaires. No sarcasm. It's a rough business on family life.

There is a major difference between guys who have earned tens of millions vs mostly career minor leaguers.

Pro sports is a profession that typically requires having to move from city to city a couple of times in your career.

But, as a player if you have a NTC as part of your contract, you have final say.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Let's be real here... Would it really even matter if he waived it?

i'm guessing they would only ask seabrook or keith about their nmc if gms have discussed them in the past...Seabrook has pistol pete or dim jim written all over it...darkhorse is uncle dale

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I think he might waive for Vancouver.. but is Benning willing to take him on?
If we want to do a sh*t for sh*t trade, I wouldn't mind -

Seabrook
for
Gagner
Gudbranson

THey still have some term left, but not as long as Seabs. Not much cap savings, but more of a long term move.

No thanks. Why would we do this?

Seabrook has won everything he could ever hope to win as a hockey player. Hes content now just collecting a cheque and raising his family. He deserves it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Dont blame him, its his right in the contract he signed.

I agree it's his right and normally i'm very pro-players in any contract talks, or any UFA talk about them getting max value, etc.

But I think in certain extreme cases where a player is clearly overpaid due to declining play - I would hope the player can be a bit more accommodating to the team with any NTC. His salary is guaranteed after all, no matter his on-ice struggles. But he's clearly not living up to the money he's being paid. Why not try to help the team out?

If Oilers one day come to Lucic and ask him about a NTC clause, i would hope he'd be accommodating too. He's clearly making way more money than he warrants, and he should feel bad about not helping the team and try to facilitate a trade.

This doesn't mean that Seabrook should accept a trade to absolutely any team - but if he's blocking any/all trades, I think that's disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad