Friedman: and Fourth Period: Seabrook asked about waiving NTC but does not seem interested in doing so

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Is there something a player can write into his contract, forbidding a team from essentially asking him to waive clauses in their contracts?

It’s in essence trying to renegotiate a contract midway through ... and using the media to create public pressure on that player. It’s a form of bullying isn’t it?

Maybe if I’m a player I say I’ll waive if you give ticket holders a rebate & lower present ticket prices by 1%, or even half a percent.
Considering the salary cap is tied to league revenues, what possible gain can a player have from demanding teams LOWER their revenues? “If you trade me make sure to get less money so the cap can stay flat or go down. That’s exactly what will be best for me as a player”.

Just can’t see that ever happening.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Is there a term for someone who instigates bullies then?

They’re purposely trying to incite people to hate on their business partner (the player) and by association their families.

And they’ll accept any individual out there as an ally. The nuttier, the greater amount of pressure, and the better for getting what they want.
Yup....it's called 'idiot", because generally speaking, instigating a bully doesn't normally end well.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Considering the salary cap is tied to league revenues, what possible gain can a player have from demanding teams LOWER their revenues? “If you trade me make sure to get less money so the cap can stay flat or go down. That’s exactly what will be best for me as a player”.

Just can’t see that ever happening.
Spite! Plus made his money already. Kidding.

I agree, plus hard to beat spin masters in a media battle. It’d be nice if you could do something about it though.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Friedman sticking to his story: "I am very, very uncomfortable with being on the other side of Brent Seabrook on this. But I understand, at least once this season there was a conversation between team, player and agent about his future in Chicago. That's all I can really say. At some point this season, it happened."

Source

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Keith and Seabrook are like a little kids favorite toy to some people , whining and making excuses why they can't let go or live without their favorite toy.

Keith and Seabrook no matter what will get their paychecks for the next 5 and 6 years, what chicago won't get is a rebuild and will have to watch these 2 painfully decline to the point where they need wheel chairs and clog up roster spots for the young promising defenseman and eat up 12 plus million in a tight salary cap with rising salaries that Chicago won't be able to resign players or make a splash in free agency .

I have no sympathy for these guys who are multi millionaires.

Their not on food stamps or ssi. Or struggling to pay their bills, their health care is free because they receive it from the nhl and it is top notch.

Really cause it sounds like baby wants his rebuild. Even though baby already asked for multiple cups.

Reactions: swerdnase and dk2k

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yup.. We all know it is among the worst, if not the worst contract in the league right now. I think Lucic is worse because he's already completely useless, where Seabrook would be OK if they used him properly in a 3rd pairing/2nd unit PP role.

Wrong . Lets not kid anyone he is bad and not worth his contract but he is not useless . He is still physical . He can cycle the puck and over the last month he has started scoring again . I would not trade Lucic for Seabrook . I would rather trade Lucic and 2020 1st for nothing

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Wrong . Lets not kid anyone he is bad and not worth his contract but he is not useless . He is still physical . He can cycle the puck and over the last month he has started scoring again . I would not trade Lucic for Seabrook . I would rather trade Lucic and 2020 1st for nothing
i debated and debated on whether i was going to reply, well i am a weak person.

scoring and cycling the puck and being physical. ok you can keep looking at that. what i look for this (+/-) and i am sorry but that is bad.

Brent Seabrook Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess he has it nice there being awful and people defend him saying he’s a legacy! He deserves to play here if he wants!

No pressure to perform or play well. Decent hockey market, nice city. I can’t say I blame him.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I guess he has it nice there being awful and people defend him saying he’s a legacy! He deserves to play here if he wants!

No pressure to perform or play well. Decent hockey market, nice city. I can’t say I blame him.
the pressure is there, some do not want to see it.

ref the legacy well he is, as a fan who went decades with out a SC win, well we got 3 SC. so yeah we the fans appreciate those who worked hard to bring those Cups to Chi.

remember what i said.... it was 3 SC's victories. 1.... 2 ... 3 .... !!!

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
First, He can't send them to Rockford. NMC.
Second, there is indeed nothing the players can do if they get scratched by Colliton or whoever coaches the Hawks. GM typically arent dictating who is playing and who is not, but whatever.
Third... well, even if that happens, they're still earning their money, while taking 2 rosters spots and something like 12.5M as caphit.
The healthy scratch will get old for them. They really want to play but the team needs to bring in young blood.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The healthy scratch will get old for them. They really want to play but the team needs to bring in young blood.
agree and Seabs will bring home the easy coin.

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
the pressure is there, some do not want to see it.

ref the legacy well he is, as a fan who went decades with out a SC win, well we got 3 SC. so yeah we the fans appreciate those who worked hard to bring those Cups to Chi.

remember what i said.... it was 3 SC's victories. 1.... 2 ... 3 .... !!!

of course Hawks fans see it. Seabrook himself sees it, I'm sure. we just accept the reality with some grace. if you can't trade him or buy him out, there is little to do about it right now. b/c some fans aren't throwing themselves on the ground and having a screaming fit over something they can't control doesn't mean people are unaware or don't expect him to perform better.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
of course Hawks fans see it. Seabrook himself sees it, I'm sure. we just accept the reality with some grace. if you can't trade him or buy him out, there is little to do about it right now. b/c some fans aren't throwing themselves on the ground and having a screaming fit over something they can't control doesn't mean people are unaware or don't expect him to perform better.
i was raising the point in order to respond with another poster.

outside the fans, i am more than sure that the players know this as well. i am coming to this conclusion by the players who are coming out to defend him. on the Bhawk site, there is a snippet of Toews talkiing about Seabs and what he does that no one see or knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad