OT: And finally, sweet release from the grip of this eternal monster

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If everyone reading this posted an answer to these questions... we can kill this thread today!

Just play along.

Three foods you "can't live without"

Besides water, three drinks you "can't live without"

Being honest... If people who know you well, had to rate you on a scale of 1 to 10...

How much of a cook are you?

How much of a handyman are you?

How much of a mechanic are you?

How prolific at computers and software are you?

How musically talented are you?

Three foods you "can't live without" - Steak, Chili, Watermelon

Besides water, three drinks you "can't live without" - Strawberry//Strawberry-Banana Smoothie, Milk, V8 Fusion Juices

Being honest... If people who know you well, had to rate you on a scale of 1 to 10...

If this is other people's opinions:

How much of a cook are you? 7 but only a few other people have eaten anything I have eaten.

How much of a handyman are you? 3

How much of a mechanic are you? 4

How prolific at computers and software are you? 10 If it has anything to do with technology, people think I'm a genius with everything.

How musically talented are you? 2

Based on my opinion of my own skills:

How much of a cook are you? 8

How much of a handyman are you? 5

How much of a mechanic are you? 2

How prolific at computers and software are you? 8 .

How musically talented are you? 2

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Speaking of food, I am headed to Philly this weekend for the CF-L1.

So, I am saving my untracked diet night for Sunday. I am planning on getting a cheesesteak before heading home.

Any suggestions?

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-10-spots-for-authentic-philly-cheesesteaks/

I love how Visit Philly.com has important info!

Besides Geno's and Pat's, IMO the Anchor and Duff's of the Cheesesteak World, I would say they have the go to places on the list . If it's still the same when I went there, John's is cash only and they closed at around 7pm. That was the place I got the best Cheesesteak when I was in Philly.

I wanted to check out Tony's but didn't have time.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Oh my, this day went to poop quickly. Rereading Xenophon's Hellenica. Was a child on first read through, and that was rushed in anticipation of moving on to the anabasis of Cyrus. Had to get the volumes through an inter-library loan as neither our public or uni libraries here carries them in a duo-translation format. Bookshelf beside our bed, safely tucked away.

My daughter whom is ten decided she would eat cereal (cocoa-krispies) in my bed and surf on her tablet. Not being normal, she puts the cereal in a styro cup and adds milk. No idea what happened as I wasn't there but somehow she manages to spill milk and cereal all over the contents on/in my bookshelf and of course on the Hellenica. Doesn't do a good job of either cleaning up the mess or hiding the evidence. Ants and wet chocolatey books. So frustrating.

I'm curious to see a picture of your workbench, if you wish to share via PM.

I've seen pics of other woodworkers, and luthiers in particular, with bicycle-chain-drive mechanisms for adjusting bench height. Is yours similar?

Sure, I'll get around to doing that but you'll be disappointed. The shop now consists of a couple of Erlewine shopstands (neck jig and angle vise) from Stewie-Mac bolted to the concrete. Hardly go in there anymore. Haven't worked on building acoustic stuff in forever - specifically because it is not financially viable for an independant/mom-n-pop to turn a profit. You love the craft but it doesn't put groceries on the table. Quite the opposite actually.

Getting good tone wood is next to impossible, especially when considering whom the competition is for acquisition. Cites law has all but put an end to getting good spruce, rosewood, ebony, mahogany, et al. The expense and legalities are tremendous.

Electric guitars are much the same, but you can still get good alder/swamp ash if you don't mind the expense. If I do anything any more it's craft a body and slap a uscg or warmoth neck on it and add a waterslide decal. Not exactly what being a luthier implies. All that went away a long time ago for me.

So my son appears to be pursuing a career in music (classically training in 2xbass) and I just learned what this is when I had to get his 'summer post' put into his instrument. Do you just work on guitars, or do you work on all 'fiddle' instruments. Not a bad buck in that.

Although I love them, the violas and cellos and double basses and such are not my bailiwick. My love starts and stops with guitars really. Essentially I grew up with guitar heroes, as silly as that sounds, and we idolized guys like Hendrix and Pagey and Beck. Later on it was about Holdsworth and EVH and then came all the silliness of the 80's and everybody had to play stunt guitar. If you couldn't whip up a Malmsteenian frenzy you lost out. On the other end of the spectrum guys like Scott Henderson and John Scofield and Gambale were tearing up the scene as well. Fun time period to be a picker. If I had to pick one constant source of influence it would be Ry Cooder. Absolutely loved that guys tone/approach. That has extended to a love for most cool slide guys like Derek Trucks (my fave) and Joey Landreth (also a fave).

I would love to rant old-guy style about how it seems that we're not raising musicians anymore and how the passion for the art is dead but that's not a discussion for this place :)

Apologies for the novella.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Ooooooooh! Now I understand a bit. Hope all is well with your Grandfather.

It was a good move for them I believe. He was able to live for a time comfortably, became editor for the local fishwrap (newspapers used to be a thing :D), and fell in love with the state. Not bad for a transplant :)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If everyone reading this posted an answer to these questions... we can kill this thread today!

Just play along.

Three foods you "can't live without"

Pizza. Tacos/Mexican. Hamburgers
Besides water, three drinks you "can't live without"

Bells Two Hearted, Coke Zero, Coffee

How much of a cook are you?

How much of a handyman are you?

How much of a mechanic are you?

How prolific at computers and software are you?

How musically talented are you?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My man! Just switched from Bacardi Oakheart to Captain Morgan a couple months ago. There's nothing like a rum and coke to end the week.

Captain and Coke was the mixed drink of choice for most in my fraternity when we weren't drinking beer.

When one of our brothers was the bartender, you never knew how much Captain to expect in your drink.

:amazed:

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Speaking of food, I am headed to Philly this weekend for the CF-L1.

So, I am saving my untracked diet night for Sunday. I am planning on getting a cheesesteak before heading home.

Any suggestions?

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-10-spots-for-authentic-philly-cheesesteaks/

I love how Visit Philly.com has important info!

My suggestion, find a mom and pop pizza joint. Order a cheesesteak with provolone, lettuce tomato onion, with mayo and oil. Cheese whiz is for heathens.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I never understood how anyone can drink hard liquor straight up, it's all so gross.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I never understood how anyone can drink hard liquor straight up, it's all so gross.

Sometimes I'll mix rum with water to keep me hydrated. A lot of people find it sickening, but I've had a lot of rum in my life so I'm numb to it.

There are some high-end whiskeys that taste great on the rocks. It's nice to sit back, sip on top shelf whiskey, and slowly get a buzz. Unfortunately I can't afford the expensive branded liquor.

Captain and Coke was the mixed drink of choice for most in my fraternity when we weren't drinking beer.

When one of our brothers was the bartender, you never knew how much Captain to expect in your drink.

:amazed:

Yup. Rum and coke is definitely for the young bucks. I'm damn near 30, though. One day I'll switch to whiskey on the rocks.

It ain't whiskey, my man!

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Another fun thing about college was when we used to go shot challenges to try and get the other person to quit.

Three Wise Men and all sorts of messed up concoctions with hot sauce were some favorites.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
There are a lot of crappy poser tattoo artists in the Buffalo area. PM me if you know of an artist (location and name) who is highly detailed, spot on accurate, fairly priced, and who you have personally dealt with.

:5:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
This thread still here? I'll help move it along...

Somes better straight than others. I like shooting Jaeger and fireball, but not vodka or Rum.

Yup. Rum and coke is definitely for the young bucks. I'm damn near 30, though. One day I'll switch to whiskey on the rocks.
I'm 33 and cap n coke is still my drink of choice

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

That's because most of it is designed to be mixed. Anything that would retail under $30 or $40 for 750ml bottle is for cocktail type drinks and mix-territory.

You can pick almost any top-shelf/high end liquor (and I'm not talking about Bacardi instead of well liquor) and find a bottle that is specifically designed to be enjoyed straight, or with just a splash of water.

Note, I don't mean 'shooting' it either. Shots are for the cheap stuff to get you drunk quick.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
It's a crime to mix anything with Jameson or nicer and I don't care enough to waste the money on anything nicer.

(carbombs are crimes, but they're worthwhile)

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That's because most of it is designed to be mixed. Anything that would retail under $30 or $40 for 750ml bottle is for cocktail type drinks and mix-territory.

You can pick almost any top-shelf/high end liquor (and I'm not talking about Bacardi instead of well liquor) and find a bottle that is specifically designed to be enjoyed straight, or with just a splash of water.

Note, I don't mean 'shooting' it either. Shots are for the cheap stuff to get you drunk quick.

Even the higher end stuff is pretty bad IMO. I've had everything from Jameson to Lagavulin, none of it is good on its own to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00