Value of: Anaheim trading up for Byfield

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Moving up 3 spots to draft a franchise center............... this will be good.

I would assume this years 1st, next years Anaheim 1st and then they add a nice prospect like Maxime Comtois.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You’d have to move up to number 2 to guarantee yourself Byfield. Don’t assume LA passes on him, they might not. Not sure LA wants to move back 4 spots, and even if LA does pass on him, and you want to move up to three, I doubt Ottawa wants to move back to 6. This is the highest pick Ottawa has had since 2001. Can’t see them wanting to move back.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Friendly reminder that no team has knowingly moved a Top 5 pick since 2008.

And in earlier cases where picks were moved (1999, 2002, 2003), the team moving down did so because they still were landing their intended target.

I think the movement from the NFL Draft can give us a false impression that if you offer up enough draft capital that it makes sense for a team to trade down. But football is a different beast.

I suppose it's fun discussion, but it doesn't seem likely that LA would be looking to move out of the top 3.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
And in earlier cases where picks were moved (1999, 2002, 2003), the team moving down did so because they still were landing their intended target.

I think the movement from the NFL Draft can give us a false impression that if you offer up enough draft capital that it makes sense for a team to trade down. But football is a different beast.

I suppose it's fun discussion, but it doesn't seem likely that LA would be looking to move out of the top 3.

I agree...

NFL is a bad example. The trades mentionedwere in the top 3. You don’t see someone trading down from 3 or 4 to 10 because the cost is astronomical and the talent potential is massive.

In NFL you have st least a dozen of distinct position for players. In hockey it’s basically 2. You aren’t going to see a goalie drafted at one again.

LA and Ottawa eho are in 2 and 3 aren’t lottery winners looking for something to help now.thry are looking to build a young core of their future.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I actually think it may be easier to trade up to the first pick than the second. There is literally no reason for LA to trade down.

But if a team in or entering its window ends up winning the #1 lottery, they might be willing to trade the pick for high value current assets that will contribute during the window (one or more of Rakell, Lindholm, Manson, etc.). For example, a package of Rakell and #6 might be a starting point (Ducks probably would need to add). Or maybe Rakell and Manson for #1 and a cap dump of some sort.

Obviously, in this scenario, there would be a lot of bidders for that #1 pick. If the team needs immediate help, they could probably get a massive haul and/or offload a bad contract.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
No GM is trading the #1 pick. If Lafreniere turns out to be a difference maker they would be in trouble.
Anaheim would be stupid to trade Zegras. He should be as good as Byfield.

Reactions: mattyboy

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No GM is trading the #1 pick. If Lafreniere turns out to be a difference maker they would be in trouble.

Really wanted Zegras when Holland took Broberg but he’s not in the same tier as Byfield. LA would be insane to move the 2nd for just Zegras.

For the record I don’t think Anaheim should offer what it would take to get Byfield either. Keep Zegras and draft at 6ov

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't think this is something we should entertain doing. We need as much talented youth as we can, good chance we pick top 5 and hopefully get a lottery win in 2021 or 2022.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
LA and Ottawa both really, REALLY want a young, future 1C, I’m sure they’re super psyched to draft Byfield/Stutzle. It’d take serious overpayment to move up from 6, can’t see it happening. If, say, the Sabres had won the 2 or 3 pick, sure, they’re set long term at 1C already. But LA/Ottawa won’t wanna give up Byfield/Stutzle.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m going to predict people will say 6OA + Zegras.

seems about right though.

#2 is Byfield, a 6'4/215lb C that just put up 82pts in 45 games

#6 is maybe Rossi...a dude who raked but who is also 5'9

LA would need an A prospect or future unprotected 1st to even consider moving 2

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

he isnt nearly as good a prospect as byfield. He probably wouldnt have been a top 10 pick in this draft class

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Perfetti who could be available at #6 could become a top line center if he continues to improve his skating like i've heard he has done this summer.
Given he's not physically matured all the way yet he may improve his skating quite a bit.
His skill/IQ combined with an improved skating ability would make him a steal at #6.

I'd be more confident about Rossi if he wasn't already so strong in his legs, he likely doesn't get any faster, being even shorter than Perfetti he won't last at Center & ends up a winger.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
he isnt nearly as good a prospect as byfield. He probably wouldnt have been a top 10 pick in this draft class
I'd take Zegras over Rossi, Drysdale and Sanderson.
When Zegras fills in more, adds more muscle he's gonna look big compared to Perfetti/Rossi being that he is 6'0 as opposed to 5'9 & 5'8.
I also see Zegras as being capable of improving his skating like Perfetti who has worked on it in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad