Value of: Anaheim Ducks to move up to top 15 in the draft?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yah that was my point. The other Ducks fans are naming off prospects like they are the next best thing. Outside of Steel and Jones and a few defenseman we have nothing. And that’s my point. If we can get in the top 15 it would be great based on price. Just my thought anyway.

Is Larsson ready to move up to the Top 4? Is Petterson only going to be a bottom pair guy? If the answers are Yes and No then why not offer one of that great Top 4 you have? That would be the easiest way to re-make the offense. And are any of the goalie prospects worth a damn?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And how is the salary cap going to affect your decision? Looks like Montour is RFA and Gibson will be due a huge raise next year. Kase and Ritchie are RFA's and Kase will likely cost more . . . Ritchie doesn't have a lot of negotiating strength with his production. Kesler and Perry contracts look awful right now. Frankly, looking at Capfriendly I'm really surprised at how old the roster is.

I don't see any easy way out of all the money you have committed on the older players.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And how is the salary cap going to affect your decision? Looks like Montour is RFA and Gibson will be due a huge raise next year. Kase and Ritchie are RFA's and Kase will likely cost more . . . Ritchie doesn't have a lot of negotiating strength with his production. Kesler and Perry contracts look awful right now. Frankly, looking at Capfriendly I'm really surprised at how old the roster is.

I don't see any easy way out of all the money you have committed on the older players.

The cheap deal for Rakell and solid value on Lindholm help take the sting out of some of those bigger deals. I personally think Montour is hitting RFA at a convenient time for the team to get him locked up to something reasonable before he really breaks out. Kase likewise just doesn't have the leverage to demand a big contract just yet.

There should be plenty of room to get Gibson locked up (barring any big spending this summer), but perhaps only one of Henrique or Silfverberg can be retained beyond next season. By then I'd expect our top forward prospects (Steel/Terry) to be knocking on the door for top 9 roles.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yah that was my point. The other Ducks fans are naming off prospects like they are the next best thing. Outside of Steel and Jones and a few defenseman we have nothing. And that’s my point. If we can get in the top 15 it would be great based on price. Just my thought anyway.
You’re literally wanting to move Steel (a center) for a winger while admitting that Terry will also be a winger. You’re wanting to move pieces from a place of extreme weakness to fix a piece from a place of moderate weakness.

We have defensive prospects that can be used to move up potentially, but it’s not worth it.

Also no, I was not naming off prospects as the next big thing, but instead prospects that may have a chance at the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So you’re telling me if we had a chance to grab a top 5 with our first and steel you wouldn’t do it? I don’t think you’re understanding my point. The prospects are available if it equals value.

Having two scoring lines for an entire season again doesn’t make sense. Especially with the team getting older. Forabee and Wahlstrom are NHL wing ready. Both are going top 10 easily like Tkachuk. Giving some help to Cogs and Rakell they would be thankful.
Id hold on to steel.... no point moving assets to make changes that arnt going to do much for us anyway. Were basically in a weird spot until we get rid of kesler/perry contracts.

Just hopefully get Thomas at the draft... and continue building a strong prospect pool and doing what you can at the nhl level.

Trading Steel is counter productive... unless its for a young center that is already somewhat established.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The prospects that it would take to move up to top 15... isn't worth it. And literally your trading a prospect that your already putting development into, hoping the guy you get can be better... which isn't a guarantee.... its basically gambling for the sake of gambling.

I wouldn't move Larsson/Mahura/Comtois/Steel/Terry. The rest of our prospects wouldn't move us up high enough.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Bennett takes super soft competition and produces way worse results in all 3 zones than Silf. Please do not let homerism cloud your judgement.
Wrong. Bennett draws tough assignments, much more so than Silf who is played off the top line to give him softer competition to face. Again, at worst Bennett is a more physical Silf, at his ceiling it is not even close! You can keep Silf.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If the Ducks could use a LW and want to get rid of Kesler still, would Kesler + 23rd OA for Ladd + 12th OA work? Kesler @ 6.85m x 4 and Ladd’s 5.5 x 5 both amount to 27.5m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the Ducks could use a LW and want to get rid of Kesler still, would Kesler + 23rd OA for Ladd + 12th OA work? Kesler @ 6.85m x 4 and Ladd’s 5.5 x 5 both amount to 27.5m.
That's interesting but I think its far more likely kesler bounces back this year.. hell have a full summer to condition and get into game shape. I guess I have a lot more faith in kesler going somewhat back to form then ladd and not sure if moving up 11 spots is worth the loss of kesler for the addition of ladd. Also not sure how ready any of our centers are to take over that spot.

Kesler is just too hard to predict right now... plus pretty sure he has ntc and I doubt islanders are on his list.

Reactions: Las Llamas

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So you’re telling me if we had a chance to grab a top 5 with our first and steel you wouldn’t do it? I don’t think you’re understanding my point. The prospects are available if it equals value.

Having two scoring lines for an entire season again doesn’t make sense. Especially with the team getting older. Forabee and Wahlstrom are NHL wing ready. Both are going top 10 easily like Tkachuk. Giving some help to Cogs and Rakell they would be thankful.

STeel and pick 23 might get you up to those islanders picks, but no one is giving up a top 5 pick and a shot at boqvist/bouchard/hughes for it

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Wrong. Bennett draws tough assignments, much more so than Silf who is played off the top line to give him softer competition to face. Again, at worst Bennett is a more physical Silf, at his ceiling it is not even close! You can keep Silf.
Our top line does not play against top competition, the Cogs-Kes-Silf has always been used as a shutdown line against teams top lines, because they have been good at it. This year was different due to Kes being gone half the season so Chris Wagner stepped in and then a half broken Kes came back.

So Bennett may become a Silf type of player in the future, or he's a bust. You can keep Bennett, we don't need another Ritchie.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If Kopacka gets rid of his whole "I need to stickhandle through the entire team" thing he currently has, Anaheim has gotten a steal with that pick. This is irrelevant to this trade question, but still. He has a sniper mentality, while also feeling like he needs to do everything himself.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

As an Islanders fan, done, hell I'll even give Anaheim first pick with the 11th instead of 12th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad