Value of: Anaheim Ducks to move up to top 15 in the draft?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Anaheim Ducks hold the 23rd overall. Curious about the boards opinions to acquire a top 15 pick.

Looking at our prospect pool we are in dire need of Left Wing scoring. We have Steel and Jones. Whom are Center and one whom is more of an enforcer LW.

What’s the value, so we can acquire Joel Farabee, Oliver Wahlstrom “if he falls”, Martin Kaut. All three I’m extremely high on. Anaheim can convert Wahlstrom and Kaut to Left Wing

Thanks for the opinions and value based trades.

Ritchie, This years first, Larsson, Steel, Jones. All available in a equal deal to move up in the draft.

alwaysBlue

Jan 17, 2018
What are the Ducks deep in prospect wise? Samuel Blais is a PPG guy in the AHL who's buried underneath Blues LW depth

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Steel is not available. We are not in dire need for a LW scoring prospect.

Outside of Jones we don’t have a top LW prospect. And if you watched him this season, he’s more like a George Parros at the moment with his enforcement attitude. And Steel is center by the way. So yes Anaheim should be looking to move up if it’s available to do so regarding the position.

Now am I offering all of the pieces to move up? No it’s based dependly on where we can land in the top 15. I just gave a list of a few prospects who I’m high on and what it’s worth for them.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Outside of Jones we don’t have a top LW prospect. And if you watched him this season, he’s more like a George Parros at the moment with his enforcement attitude. And Steel is center by the way. So yes Anaheim should be looking to move up if it’s available to do so regarding the position.

Now am I offering all of the pieces to move up? No it’s based dependly on where we can land in the top 15. I just gave a list of a few prospects who I’m high on and what it’s worth for them.
You do realize Steel is our best prospect right? You do realize how old our center core is right? We can do fine on the LW for awhile since Rakell is still young and Cogs is signed for a few more years. We need Steel more than we need some LW prospect who won’t be ready for 2-4 more years.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
What are the Ducks deep in prospect wise? Samuel Blais is a PPG guy in the AHL who's buried underneath Blues LW depth

I would say Center depth, we have lots whom are full time AHLers or a casual call up. Lots of centers who converted to Wing. We stand very far and in between natural RW and LW prospects.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You do realize Steel is our best prospect right? You do realize how old our center core is right? We can do fine on the LW for awhile since Rakell is still young and Cogs is signed for a few more years. We need Steel more than we need some LW prospect who won’t be ready for 2-4 more years.

So you’re telling me if we had a chance to grab a top 5 with our first and steel you wouldn’t do it? I don’t think you’re understanding my point. The prospects are available if it equals value.

Having two scoring lines for an entire season again doesn’t make sense. Especially with the team getting older. Forabee and Wahlstrom are NHL wing ready. Both are going top 10 easily like Tkachuk. Giving some help to Cogs and Rakell they would be thankful.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I would say Center depth, we have lots whom are full time AHLers or a casual call up. Lots of centers who converted to Wing. We stand very far and in between natural RW and LW prospects.

You would be wrong again, we're deep in defensive prospects. Center wise, Steel and Terry are the best and most likely to make the NHL.

So you’re telling me if we had a chance to grab a top 5 with our first and steel you wouldn’t do it? I don’t think you’re understanding my point. The prospects are available if it equals value.

Having two scoring lines for an entire season again doesn’t make sense. Especially with the team getting older. Forabee and Wahlstrom are NHL wing ready. Both are going top 10 easily like Tkachuk. Giving some help to Cogs and Rakell they would be thankful.

Oh, so now we're moving into the top 5? There's a massive difference between drafting in the top 5 and top 15. Plus, it would cost more than Steel and our 1st to move into the top 5. So now, you have to weigh the cost of losing Steel, our 1st, and more to get a top 5 pick for a winger who won't be ready for a few more years anyways.

Wahlstrom is rumored to be committed to college next season, so it's safe to say he' s not NHL ready. Neither is Forabee, nothing out there says they are NHL ready. Only the top 3 are probably bound for the NHL next season.

Winger wise, we have Comtois, Kopacka, Kossila, Roy, sherwood, Fiore, Jones as our prospects. Nothing flashy, but a few them can easily have a spot on this roster in the next two years. Center wise, we have Steel, Terry, and Morand are the only center prospects we have that look like they may reach the NHL.

So no, our best prospect in Steel who is in a position of need is not for trade for a winger that won't be ready in 2-4 years.

Last edited:

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Ya no way steel gets dealt with our aging center men

1st Silfverberg and any prospect not named steel terry mahura Larsson would be my best trade chips for a bonafide top prospect

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
We should just ask Tor if they want to trade up to 23 and try and get an extra pick :sarcasm: As for the premise of this thread, I don't see a scenario where the Ducks upgrade next years roster within the draft without moving into the top 5. Our prospect pool is actually weakest on the right side not the left. If we want to help the left side for next year then we go after an actual NHL player and not a prospect.

Reactions: lwvs84

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You're would be wrong again, we're deep in defensive prospects. Center wise, Steel and Terry are the best and most likely to make the NHL.

Oh, so now we're moving into the top 5? There's a massive difference between drafting in the top 5 and top 15. Plus, it would cost more than Steel and our 1st to move into the top 5. So now, you have to weigh the cost of losing Steel, our 1st, and more to get a top 5 pick for a winger who won't be ready for a few more years anyways.

Wahlstrom is rumored to be committed to college next season, so it's safe to say he' s not NHL. Neither is Forabee, nothing out there says they are NHL ready. Only the top 3 are probably bound for the NHL next season.

Winger wise, we have Comtois, Kopacka, Kossila, Roy, sherwood, Fiore, Jones as our prospects. Nothing flashy, but a few them can easily have a spot on this roster in the next two years. Center wise, we have Steel, Terry, and Morand are the only center prospects we have that look like they may reach the NHL.

So no, our best prospect in Steel who is in a position of need is not for trade for a winger that won't be ready in 2-4 years.
I really doubt Terry will be a center in the NHL.

Reactions: 405Exit and Masch78

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It's painful to look at who we could have had instead of Ritchie. I'm happy we seem to be trending away from players like him and focusing more on skill and speed.

Back then Ritchie was the right pick.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
The way Terry plays he is clearly a winger for me. I don't know which side he preferes but he was Borgströms wingman in college, wasn't he?

I don't know, I still like Ritchie and I'd give him another one or two years until I will finally judge him. Lots of players need some time - look at Wild Bill ;-)

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I really doubt Terry will be a center in the NHL.

Yah that was my point. The other Ducks fans are naming off prospects like they are the next best thing. Outside of Steel and Jones and a few defenseman we have nothing. And that’s my point. If we can get in the top 15 it would be great based on price. Just my thought anyway.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Anaheim Ducks hold the 23rd overall. Curious about the boards opinions to acquire a top 15 pick.

Looking at our prospect pool we are in dire need of Left Wing scoring. We have Steel and Jones. Whom are Center and one whom is more of an enforcer LW.

What’s the value, so we can acquire Joel Farabee, Oliver Wahlstrom “if he falls”, Martin Kaut. All three I’m extremely high on. Anaheim can convert Wahlstrom and Kaut to Left Wing

Thanks for the opinions and value based trades.

Ritchie, This years first, Larsson, Steel, Jones. All available in a equal deal to move up in the draft.

Not really sure how you can move up if none of the Top 4 defenders are not available. Would it not make sense to downgrade the second pairing a little in order to fill out the scoring wingers and get younger? As well as move up? Also, isn't your window for contention coming to an end? Kind of some cross-currents here. Are you truly looking to rebuild the offense for a couple of more runs or for the future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad