Anaheim Ducks Power Play

Ducksgo*

Etem all I gotta say. Bititches
And skanks showing non sense via mobile. Dumb ass players

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
It seems to me we have no movement everyone sits around and watches the person with the puck instead of moving/cutting etc.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
It just boggles my mind how they can be WORSE when there is 1 less person for the opposition. It's like being able to juggle 5 flaming chainsaws with ease but take one away and HOLY MOTHER ****ING **** I JUST CUT OFF MY ARM AND LIT MY HAIR ON FIRE.

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
Anaheim sorely misses Souray and his big shot. The defense always knows where it's going and ends up cramming the middle because Fowler/Vatanen don't have big shots.

Ehrhoff to me is the best acquisition. His bread and butter is on the PP. He knows how to hide his shot, bluff his shot, change windups, etc. so acutely. The way he closes the zone in is also top class.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Anaheim sorely misses Souray and his big shot. The defense always knows where it's going and ends up cramming the middle because Fowler/Vatanen don't have big shots.

Ehrhoff to me is the best acquisition. His bread and butter is on the PP. He knows how to hide his shot, bluff his shot, change windups, etc. so acutely. The way he closes the zone in is also top class.

and what do you want to trade to acquire him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it's honestly mindblowing how bad the PP has been

if i were the head coach of other teams i'd tell my players to take penalties if they really need to because it's guaranteed the ducks won't score on the PP anyways

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think the PP is past the point of no return.

The only thing that will fix it is hiring a different power play coach with a completely different philosophy of how to coach a proper PP.

I just don't see how this team can be this unbelievably, historically bad for this amount of games, then somehow revert back to being competent with the same coach running the PP. BB's philosophy (whatever it is) isn't working, and it needs to be changed before it starts costing us games against division rivals.

Edit: I think the small sample size excuse has become pretty lame at this point. The first 5 games they were creating chances, but just weren't converting. The last 10 or so games they have just been completely awful at every aspect of the PP. Like embarrassingly bad. I'm sorry but when you have Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne on the team, you should not be this bad. That's on the coach. They should at the very worst be middle of the league in PP. This is just absurd.

Last edited:

DannoManno*

Should be

Selanne-Getzlaf-Perry
Vatanen-Souray

When all are healthy

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ditch the umbrella. Go to the 1-3-1 system. For those that don't know, it's a diamond formation with a man in the middle. One up high, three across, one down low.

Lindholm/Vatanen up high(a healthy Souray probably replaces them).

Getzlaf on one half-wall, Bonino or Perry on the other. Put Fowler in the middle of the diamond, and tell him to be a puck hound. Then put Penner or Etem(or the other one of Perry/Bonino) in front of the net to give us a presence.

That system gives us two or three players available to outnumber the opposition on any side, and down low. There should always be two players nearby to provide support, with a third nearby. In other words, we should have numbers. The man in the middle is kind of key here, and it should be a strong skater, because he's going to need to help dig out loose pucks, get it to an open man, and then slide back into the high slot area.

The guy on the point probably shouldn't be blasting away. He should be more interested in rebounds, tips, and if the boards allow it, to shoot off the boards and try to angle it to the front of the net.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ditch the umbrella. Go to the 1-3-1 system. For those that don't know, it's a diamond formation with a man in the middle. One up high, three across, one down low.

Lindholm/Vatanen up high(a healthy Souray probably replaced them).

Getzlaf on one half-wall, Bonino or Perry on the other. Put Fowler in the middle of the diamond, and tell him to be a puck hound. Then put Penner or Etem in front of the net to give us a presence.

I agree with that except on the first unit I put Perry in front of the net and Bonino on the other half wall.

The second unit I'd put Perrault and Palmieri on the half walls, one of Lindholm/Beauch at the point, Penner/Etem in front of the net and Teemu as the man in the middle trying to get open for that deadly one timer of his. That's when Teemu is healthy and assuming Palmieri can stay in the lineup.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sorry. Wasn't quite finished. Bonino definitely makes sense, to me, on the other half wall. Perry can work magic in tight spaces, and when the opportunity is there he could probably sneak into a slightly offset position and roof it.

Anyway, with the players we have, that's what I'd do. I don't think we have the players for a proper umbrella formation. The key is that guy on the point, and I don't think we have that guy.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Watch video of the Anaheim powerplay under RC

Dear lord seconded. And tell BB to watch some damn footage with fowler highlighted and glowing, maybe even a trail of light behind him so he can clearly see how much better he is when he's allowed to skate and roam

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

Lindholm/Vatanen up high(a healthy Souray probably replaces them).

Getzlaf on one half-wall, Bonino or Perry on the other. Put Fowler in the middle of the diamond, and tell him to be a puck hound. Then put Penner or Etem(or the other one of Perry/Bonino) in front of the net to give us a presence.

That system gives us two or three players available to outnumber the opposition on any side, and down low. There should always be two players nearby to provide support, with a third nearby. In other words, we should have numbers. The man in the middle is kind of key here, and it should be a strong skater, because he's going to need to help dig out loose pucks, get it to an open man, and then slide back into the high slot area.

The guy on the point probably shouldn't be blasting away. He should be more interested in rebounds, tips, and if the boards allow it, to shoot off the boards and try to angle it to the front of the net.

This.

I agree with that except on the first unit I put Perry in front of the net and Bonino on the other half wall.

The second unit I'd put Perrault and Palmieri on the half walls, one of Lindholm/Beauch at the point, Penner/Etem in front of the net and Teemu as the man in the middle trying to get open for that deadly one timer of his. That's when Teemu is healthy and assuming Palmieri can stay in the lineup.

And then this.

PP fixed.

Bobby Smash

Feb 13, 2008
MX
Get Vatanen off the PP. He kills his team by always taking random shots that get blocked or miss the net.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
They must not like Oggi's Stix anymore.

But seriously there is no reason a power play with this much quality of skill should be this bad. It's beyond ridiculous.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
They must not like Oggi's Stix anymore.

But seriously there is no reason a power play with this much quality of skill should be this bad. It's beyond ridiculous.

The problem is Oggi's no longer sponsors the powerplay. No Oggi's stix=no scoring.

We need a new PP coach because whatever BB is teaching them is obviously not working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad