Anaheim Ducks Power Play

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
Also...didn't BB say that RC and his team got rid of all video before he arrived in ANA?

Perry, Getzlaf, Selanne, Koivu, Fowler, Beauchemin, have all been here and on the unit longer than BB has and know where they've had success and what has worked. Maybe some player input...

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

That Lubo goal was when our PP was at it's peak. Definitely carried us that year, unstoppable at times.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Also...didn't BB say that RC and his team got rid of all video before he arrived in ANA?

Perry, Getzlaf, Selanne, Koivu, Fowler, Beauchemin, have all been here and on the unit longer than BB has and know where they've had success and what has worked. Maybe some player input...

Even if that's true(that sounds really weird, but I'll take your word for it), it's not like the team wouldn't have access to archived video. I can hop onto the NHL Archive right now and watch games from previous seasons. Just because it isn't on a dvd that I can pop in doesn't mean it isn't there to use.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
Even if that's true(that sounds really weird, but I'll take your word for it), it's not like the team wouldn't have access to archived video. I can hop onto the NHL Archive right now and watch games from previous seasons. Just because it isn't on a dvd that I can pop in doesn't mean it isn't there to use.

Yeah, thought it was weird too, but that's what I heard.

Just don't understand why he hasn't made legit adjustments...he should be able to see these guys strengths and weaknesses.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, thought it was weird too, but that's what I heard.

Just don't understand why he hasn't made legit adjustments...he should be able to see these guys strengths and weaknesses.

Could just be in a rut.

HockeyShack mentioned Mike Green in Washington, and used him as an example of Boudreau knowing how to get offense out of his defense, and maybe that's the problem. Trying to play someone like Vatanen or Fowler like they are Mike Green, when that isn't their game.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The problem is Oggi's no longer sponsors the powerplay. No Oggi's stix=no scoring.

We need a new PP coach because whatever BB is teaching them is obviously not working.

I think the fix is in. Either Oggis or Hooters has a secret deal with Bruce. BB gets all the wings and/or bread sticks for no PP goals of fewer than 5 goals per game. I'm certain that's it. :nod:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
It's easy to blame young Vatanen for the PP woos. But what about Gezlaf and Perry? Clearly they're doing their part either. Vatanen has great offensive skill, better than any other defenseman right now on the Ducks' roster.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's easy to blame young Vatanen for the PP woos. But what about Gezlaf and Perry? Clearly they're doing their part either. Vatanen has great offensive skill, better than any other defenseman right now on the Ducks' roster.

I'm not sure where this came from, because no one is blaming Vatanen for the lack of PP success. The crap that is the PP is not on one player.

Sami needs to make better decisions though. He's making pretty questionable shooting decisions, and the dude is either hitting shinpads or he's trying to put a hole through the boards. Those pucks have got to get on net, or he shouldn't be taking the shots. We have enough issues on the PP without turning it over every time Sami takes a shot.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's almost completely Boudreau's fault. I refuse to blame Getzlaf and Perry. They produced just fine on the PP when they had a coach that knew what he was doing. They're dominating at ES this year too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's everybody's fault. But there is a reason guys are called PP QBs. Somebody needs to run the show. And right now we have no one doing it.

That may be so, but different PP systems ask for different things from the PP QB. The current system, the umbrella, pretty much demands the PP QB be an excellent passer, have a great shot, and be dependable defensively. Fowler can do two of those things. Vatanen can really only do one(because until he can get that shot through, I'm not willing to call it a great shot). Souray is probably the only guy who really, legitimately, fills those qualifications.

With that in mind, and if you were the coach, would you build a PP system around a player that, let's face it, we really don't have available to us?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That may be so, but different PP systems ask for different things from the PP QB. The current system, the umbrella, pretty much demands the PP QB be an excellent passer, have a great shot, and be dependable defensively. Fowler can do two of those things. Vatanen can really only do one(because until he can get that shot through, I'm not willing to call it a great shot). Souray is probably the only guy who really, legitimately, fills those qualifications.

With that in mind, and if you were the coach, would you build a PP system around a player that, let's face it, we really don't have available to us?

Well, I did say it is a group problem. But to address your question...We have already built the system. The same guys have been playing it since well before this year. But nobody, including the QB du jour, seems willing to take charge. Even down low. They are either looking for the perfect play or just afraid to make a mistake. I don't want this to be about Fowler but the shot from the point doesn't have to be a rocket. All you're looking for is a tip, a rebound or a screen. None of those require Souray's shot. At this point I'd put Magnus back there. He's shown more offensive initiative than anybody else on our blueline.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
sacrafice a chicken in the locker room?

i like the dmen pairings of lindholm/fowler and vatz/beauch or even allen....i still think they need to go high low then shoot/stuff it then go high to low then cross ice...would also like to see them try to use the high tip play as well as it can create chaos down low but the flip to that is you have to have guys down low, but i think penner and maroon are a pretty good option (maybe etem too) for those dirty ones

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Well, I did say it is a group problem. But to address your question...We have already built the system. The same guys have been playing it since well before this year. But nobody, including the QB du jour, seems willing to take charge. Even down low. They are either looking for the perfect play or just afraid to make a mistake. I don't want this to be about Fowler but the shot from the point doesn't have to be a rocket. All you're looking for is a tip, a rebound or a screen. None of those require Souray's shot. At this point I'd put Magnus back there. He's shown more offensive initiative than anybody else on our blueline.
That Leafs fans was right. We are disappointed because of Magnus. It was denial all along.

Oct 18, 2011
Everyone that takes part shares blame, but first and foremost I blame the coach, there is no plan of attack, they look like they don't practice dump-ins and proper positioning, then when we do gain entry, it's the same passes over and over just keep it simple , get penner or maroon in front of the net and shoot at the goalies feet

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Lindholm is the guy I'd like to see with Fowler on the PP. I've said this a few times, and the top reason is that Lindholm has been pretty good about getting his shot through. More than that, he makes intelligent shots. It's rare to see him take an unscreened shot, with no traffic. He seems to either delay the shot, or he passes it off keeping the play alive.

Fowler has done a better job of getting the shot through this season, but I still think he kind of defaults to taking the shot, even when the goalie sees it no problem and there is no traffic.

Vatanen just flat it seems to take shots no matter the situation, and if he doesn't hit shins on the way, he misses completely.

In both situations, the play is effectively dead when this happens. Either the play is whistled, or the puck is turned over, and whatever the Ducks had going is gone.

Either way, having Lindholm as that guy really opens up options. Sure, he's a rookie, and he's going to make mistakes, but I feel comfortable when he's the last man back on the blue line. He's an excellent passer, a terrific skater, and basically he can do anything Fowler and Vatanen can do on the point(IMO) only he does it more intelligently. That also frees up Fowler to do what he seems naturally good at, which is using his mobility and puck distributing skills to keep the play moving and not giving the opposing D time to get comfortable. Fowler, stapled to the point, is handicapping him from using some of his greatest assets. To me, this would be a win-win. Maybe it doesn't work, and there is no guarantee, but I think it puts Lindholm in a good situation for his skills, and it also frees up Fowler to do what we all seem to think he should be doing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Only if Fowler did that more often instead of backing up after dumping/passing

Different role.

To be more specific, Fowler is doing a lot of things similar to what Niedermayer did when he was spending most of his ES time with the shutdown line. In a shutdown role, you need to make the conservative play(this is especially true when your D partner is Ben Lovejoy). Fowler's rookie season saw him in a sheltered top 4 role, with minimal D responsibility.

I'm not saying there aren't opportunities where Fowler can't do that. He needs to pick his spots a bit better. But I get the impression it bothers you every time he does it, and 95% of the time it's the right play. The defensive anchor, in a shutdown role, shouldn't be pushing the pace offensively at every possible moment.

Edit: Where I'd like to see it, primarily, is with the few short shifts he gets with someone like Getzlaf. My impression is that he's still focused on playing that shutdown game, but that's when I think he has the best opportunity to be more assertive offensively.

Last edited:

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
allen_zpseff7808b.jpg

Problem Solved.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Different role.

To be more specific, Fowler is doing a lot of things similar to what Niedermayer did when he was spending most of his ES time with the shutdown line. In a shutdown role, you need to make the conservative play(this is especially true when your D partner is Ben Lovejoy). Fowler's rookie season saw him in a sheltered top 4 role, with minimal D responsibility.

I'm not saying there aren't opportunities where Fowler can't do that. He needs to pick his spots a bit better. But I get the impression it bothers you every time he does it, and 95% of the time it's the right play. The defensive anchor, in a shutdown role, shouldn't be pushing the pace offensively at every possible moment.

Edit: Where I'd like to see it, primarily, is with the few short shifts he gets with someone like Getzlaf. My impression is that he's still focused on playing that shutdown game, but that's when I think he has the best opportunity to be more assertive offensively.
So no top pairing defensemen ever joins the rush. Interesting.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think the glaring difference between the PP in that video and now is that there was tons of movement. Regardless of the players we throw out there we're being way too stationary.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I think the glaring difference between the PP in that video and now is that there was tons of movement. Regardless of the players we throw out there we're being way too stationary.

Agreed as I already stated everyone watches the person with the puck instead of moving.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So no top pairing defensemen ever joins the rush. Interesting.

You didn't even bother to read what I said, did you? :facepalm: You just went straight for the hyperbolic argument, like you did with the TOI. "He's on the ice! That means offensive opportunities!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad