GDT: Anaheim at Columbus -placeholder edition

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No point in tanking with the new lottery rules. The league wanted to make tanking useless, and they did. Might as well win.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Foligno with 28 points in 47 games despite an absurdly low shooting percentage and relatively poor quality of linemates. Those hating on him need to ease up.

People were hating on him even when he was scoring a point per game in December. I don't think your facts are going to help.

KlichkoBro*

Foligno has only 2 points less than Jenner. And he played 9 games less. They both score 2 points per 60 minutes of ice time. One is a scapegoat and another is untouchable cornerstone of the franchise. Those people are amazing.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Foligno with 28 points in 47 games despite an absurdly low shooting percentage and relatively poor quality of linemates. Those hating on him need to ease up.

I thought he was mostly terrible tonight. Watched him very closely can't believe the number of times he mishandled the puck or couldn't clear the zone. Of course I had to eat crow when he assisted on the goal to Karlson. I think was stronger in the OT as well.

Foligno wasn't the only one with puck handling issues tonight. Got very frustrated at watching us trying to make the spectacular play instead of making simple passes/plays to get the puck out of the zone.

Happy for the win, sad to watch that number 1 pick disappearing in the rear view mirror.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No point in tanking with the new lottery rules. The league wanted to make tanking useless, and they did. Might as well win.

3 chances for one of the first three spots at better odds still make losing advantageous from a draft position perspective. Tanking is less useful but the worst team still drafts no worse than 4th while the 7th could go 10th. I still see an advantage albeit not as big of one.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I disagree.

If we finish in worst case we'd pick 4th. But an 80+% probability of being in top 3.
The top 3 is important because most tiers have the top 3 in one class, then a 2nd tier - with some folks moving another guy up in top tier.

If we finish fifth worst the probability of picking in top three is less and much higher probability of taking someone in 2nd tier or as low as 7th.

So yes tanking isn't as clear cut as before but there is a benefit.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Wennberg really has perfected that 5-hole shot.. which is great, but both him and Cam need another shootout move.

That said, awesome win, something to feel good about even if it hurts our draft spot..

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I feel like if I buy into this team now, the good times will end and it will go back to the other CBJ team.
Whats our playoff picture look like?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I feel like if I buy into this team now, the good times will end and it will go back to the other CBJ team.

Bleak to next to impossible to your question.

Please buy in. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Or do we want another feel good get a worse draft choice finish again?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
We are gonna draft 8th OA again, aren't we?

Rinse and repeat.

I think Toronto and Buffalo will finish last and next to last. I think Columbus will end up 3rd from the bottom. Edmonton will be better with McJesus back, the Flames are actually not far from the playoffs and the Jets re-signed Big Buff, so they aren't going for the tank.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I typically think of a win as drawing you .8 points closer to the teams ahead of you. We are 12 points out of the wild card, so 12/.8 = 15 game winning streak, then finish the last 10 game 6-4 to maintain position.

21-4 finish is what your looking at to have a shot at the WC. That would put us at 92 points fwiw.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

No offense, granted his Aneheim game was much better, the game before Torts effectively benched him to 11 minutes. Foligno has been a huge dissapointment this season plain and simple. When the coach is calling into question the leadership of the team, and the questions are asked if the C, could possibly be stripped, theres no way to sugar coat that. Also, I have to place some blame on Foligno for the Ryjo fiasco. I disagree also, about the poor teammates. If your referring to when he was demoted to 3rd and 4th lines because his play was bad, thats on him.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No offense, granted his Aneheim game was much better, the game before Torts effectively benched him to 11 minutes. Foligno has been a huge dissapointment this season plain and simple. When the coach is calling into question the leadership of the team, and the questions are asked if the C, could possibly be stripped, theres no way to sugar coat that. Also, I have to place some blame on Foligno for the Ryjo fiasco. I disagree also, about the poor teammates. If your referring to when he was demoted to 3rd and 4th lines because his play was bad, thats on him.

I'm not quite as hard on him as you are; players had time to build a relationship with Torts while Foligno was injured. What concerns me is that Foligno was at his best when he was playing with Johansen.

He's still playing about 16 minutes a night and he had a fairly productive Jan for those 6 games in was in. He's a mixed bag right now to be sure.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Official attendance: 12,117

We can talk about poor attendance all we want, but I'm still amazed we draw a 2/3 to 3/4 full arena every game with what we've had to endure since our inception. There are only a hand full of cities in the NHL that would outdraw us if they had the same history we've had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad