GDT: Anaheim @ Arizona 6pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Webster's dictionary defines:
- "managerial" as relating to management or managers, especially of a company or similar organization.
- "accountability" as the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

It probably looks like not keeping a guy around who spends the off-season signing an aging veteran and then acting like it was a job well done.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the organization and the limitations he has to work with but his continual half-measures have created a team that was seemingly always 1 piece away from the Stanley Cup, then a team with no identity unless you consider a poor man's version of whatever team won the cup the year before as an identity and now a "Southern California highway project" type rebuild/retool.

So I take it you're in the camp of "this isn't a true rebuild", yet also seem to feel not adding enough in the off-season is a fireable offense?

I also question if you know what a team identity is if you think this team didn't have one when it was good. Now there's definitely no identity, and we know that because we know what one looks like.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
So I take it you're in the camp of "this isn't a true rebuild", yet also seem to feel not adding enough in the off-season is a fireable offense?

I also question if you know what a team identity is if you think this team didn't have one when it was good. Now there's definitely no identity, and we know that because we know what one looks like.

Murray signing aging veterans is a tale as old as time, way before this team became a bottom dweller. Him adding Shattenkirk this offseason isn't the fireable offense (that's what you do in rebuild) but it's the previous seasons where he signed the aging veterans and thought "yep, that'll do!" It's his overall tenure with the team.

As I mentioned the ducks were a very good team but seemed to be always 1 key piece short of going all the way which happens to a lot of teams. But then Murray started trying to cheaply replicate the previous year's cup winners. Went from being a hard hitting team to Murray trying to ice a speedier team. After that the team's identity just seemed lost and honestly it still seems like the team doesn't have an identity except that they suck.

And for the record I'm in the camp that this should be a rebuild but management is pretending it's a retool which is just delaying the rebuild.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Murray signing aging veterans is a tale as old as time, way before this team became a bottom dweller. Him adding Shattenkirk this offseason isn't the fireable offense (that's what you do in rebuild) but it's the previous seasons where he signed the aging veterans and thought "yep, that'll do!" It's his overall tenure with the team.

As I mentioned the ducks were a very good team but seemed to be always 1 key piece short of going all the way which happens to a lot of teams. But then Murray started trying to cheaply replicate the previous year's cup winners. Went from being a hard hitting team to Murray trying to ice a speedier team. After that the team's identity just seemed lost and honestly it still seems like the team doesn't have an identity except that they suck.

And for the record I'm in the camp that this should be a rebuild but management is pretending it's a retool which is just delaying the rebuild.

Wait this is even weirder then lol. So it has nothing to do with the job he's doing now, which you framed it as, but rather what you think he did in the past, which ranges from highly exaggerated to completely false.

Also how are they delaying a rebuild? They're rebuilding now, there's no delay.

Reactions: Boo Boo

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Wait this is even weirder then lol. So it has nothing to do with the job he's doing now, which you framed it as, but rather what you think he did in the past, which ranges from highly exaggerated to completely false.

I think his point is he would rather have seen some trades of our valuable pieces like Manson or Silf or Rakell earlier, that the rebuild should be embraced a bit more

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
They're really going to have 2 embarrassing losses and just be like:

tenor.gif

I would say unbelievable but this is just more of the same from this organization. I firmly believe if the ducks finish at the bottom of the league they'd fire the guy who sharpens the skates and then pat themselves on the back for making the necessary changes for a successful rebuild.
As long as they don’t axe my isle lady

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

I never framed it as I am asking him to be fired only on what he is doing now. Maybe you should go reread the posts. I'm saying his cumulative tenure and the spot he has put the organization in currently is why the ducks should move on from him. I'm not really sure how anyone can say he has done a good job the past few years. Do you really think he has handled the retool/rebuild well?

Reactions: la patineuse
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I never framed it as I am asking him to be fired only on what he is doing now. Maybe you should go reread the posts. I'm saying his cumulative tenure and the spot he has put the organization in currently is why the ducks should move on from him. I'm not really sure how anyone can say he has done a good job the past few years. Do you really think he has handled the retool/rebuild well?

I did reread it and you literally brought up the Shattenkirk signing to question why he wasn't fired and nothing else, so yeah. But ok, I get where you're coming from now, which I suspect is where a lot of people are coming from.

And honestly? Yeah, quite a bit to be honest. I don't think its by any means perfect but there's a full on youth movement where we're seeing some real progress, the prospect pool has arguably never been deeper and they've still been able to find blue chip, potentiality foundational guys. All while maintaining quite a bit of flexibility fewer questions marks about the future. There aren't many complaints on my end.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I did reread it and you literally brought up the Shattenkirk signing to question why he wasn't fired and nothing else, so yeah. But ok, I get where you're coming from now, which I suspect is where a lot of people are coming from.

And honestly? Yeah, quite a bit to be honest. I don't think its by any means perfect but there's a full on youth movement where we're seeing some real progress, the prospect pool has arguably never been deeper and they've still been able to find blue chip, potentiality foundational guys. All while maintaining quite a bit of flexibility fewer questions marks about the future. There aren't many complaints on my end.

How can you give credit to Bob for our prospect pool? Am I missing some important trades/trades he made or did he just slowly let the team slide into terribleness and collect better and better picks as the team got worse? I can't honestly think of a single thing he's done that would significantly help the rebuild.

Reactions: duckaroosky
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How can you give credit to Bob for our prospect pool? Am I missing some important trades/trades he made or did he just slowly let the team slide into terribleness and collect better and better picks as the team got worse? I can't honestly think of a single thing he's done that would significantly help the rebuild.

He's the General Manager lol, why wouldn't he get credit for all the players he's added?

The line about the team getting worse and collecting better draft picks is exactly what people want in this situation and is what many are mad about Bob apparently not doing. He is doing it!

Reactions: DavidBL and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

We have had 4 first rounders in the last two drafts is a start.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Webster's dictionary defines:
- "managerial" as relating to management or managers, especially of a company or similar organization.
- "accountability" as the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

It probably looks like not keeping a guy around who spends the off-season signing an aging veteran and then acting like it was a job well done.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the organization and the limitations he has to work with but his continual half-measures have created a team that was seemingly always 1 piece away from the Stanley Cup, then a team with no identity unless you consider a poor man's version of whatever team won the cup the year before as an identity and now a "Southern California highway project" type rebuild/retool.
Yeah I know what words mean. Wanting accountability for a couple bad losses (literally what you said) and then switching to something else entirely means maybe you don't.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

That is not what she said. This is what duckaroosky said:

The Shattenkirk signing is just the latest signing of aging veterans to multi-year contracts, some even with NTC or NMC, that have ended up hamstringing the team. And these signings are just part of the reason why a lot of Ducks fans think it's time for Murray to go. This year is just the cherry on top of the all of the cumulative things that make some people unhappy with Murray.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That is not what she said. This is what duckaroosky said:

The Shattenkirk signing is just the latest signing of aging veterans to multi-year contracts, some even with NTC or NMC, that have ended up hamstringing the team. And these signings are just part of the reason why a lot of Ducks fans think it's time for Murray to go. This year is just the cherry on top of the all of the cumulative things that make some people unhappy with Murray.

No she was asked what managerial accountability was and replied with something along the lines of its not keeping the guy who signs an aging veteran and thinks it's a job well done. Now, I inferred this was in reference to Shattenkirk, seeing as it's quite recent, relevant and is probably the only offseason under Murray where that description really fits aside from maybe 2009. It seems like I was wrong as she and others like yourself just vastly overestimate just how many medium-ticket free agents Murray has signed(definitely no big-ticket ones) and that's certainly not something I can account for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad