GDT: Anaheim @ Arizona 6pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
On Monday he also reduced Terry’s ice time in the 3rd. He had f***ing Deslauriers out there for Christ sake. Why is it that the skilled creative players always get put on the bench? Why is it that Steel gets fed minutes in the 3rd and OT(I like the kid but he cannot make a skilled play to save his life these days)?

I understand we don’t have a lot of offensive weapons, totally get that. But that’s also kind of the point. You cannot bench the few potential weapons you do have.

Like I’ve said, Eakins is not the main problem here but he’s not doing great with what he has to me
I don't know what is going on with Terry. There is obviously a disconnect between what eakins wants from him and what he is actually doing on the ice. Terry had played the least of any player going into the third, so that benching had nothing to do with playing with the lead.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He also strangely swapped Milano for Deslauriers at one point, too. That made even less sense than Grant for Zegras.
That just seems like swapping nothing for nothing. Don't really know who wants to argue milano's effectiveness.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The only legit reason I can think of for starting the OT with Steel was to win the draw. Silf I have no idea unless the goal is to get to the shootout and you aren't really trying to score. Shattenkirk is just silly.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Love the way Jones has played recently. You can tell he's pissed

Holy crap, look at his guns! It's like he burnt away his baby fat into pure muscle! In previous year pictures, he just looked as though he was a big body, kinda like Nick Ritchie. Max has been putting in some serious gym time. I do like he's beginning to accept his role as that speedy power forward to cause disruptions. He really does need to be in front of the net more to get more dirty goal chances.

What Max says in the post game interview is the same thing many of us have cited throughout the season - lack of consistency. In Backes' last post game interview, he also denoted how we play up or down to the competition, denoting how we're forced to play better against VGK, but then let up against Minny. Taking both of these post game interviews together and we see why we stop playing after getting big leads in the past two games. Within a game, we have three separate games: 1st period game, 2nd period game, and 3rd period game. We simply aren't putting up enough effort for all 60 minutes or more.

It feels as though the team as a whole doesn't believe it's talented enough to win or possibly dominate games. Who would have thought that Ducks can go up 3-0 in back to back games? Not I. Who would have thought the Ducks would go to blow both games? Not I.

This loss was more disappointing because we lost in a similar fashion two nights ago to the same team. So much so that I totally forgot we earned a point in this loss. "Yay for a point!"... I guess.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
just watched the shootout and holy shit, miller was beyond awful

sweet goal by zegras though.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
They need to get Zegras off that line, or atleast away from Silf. Besides Jacob's shot, that takes forever to release, he has the offensive awareness / puck skills of a below average 4th liner.

At this point you might as well load up the top lines with as much offensive players as possible and hope they find some chemistry.

Zegras - Getz - Rakell
Comtois - Henrique - Terry
Heinen - Steel - Silf
Des - Lundy - Jones

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd like to see Zegras Henrique Terry

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It’s going to be more than one more top pick. The foundation will be there, but moves have to be made to acquire proven talent at some point. Not sure Bob is the guy for that any more
100% agreed but the good news is we will have the core to build around and can make those trades and fa signings to round out the team.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The analytics with Zegras weren’t exactly stellar either, only a 26 xGF% with him on the ice. Analytics are largely meaningless over single game sample sizes.
If they had a metric for quality scoring chances then zegras' line definitely outplayed them. Shots on goal is such a bad metric in general. I get why it is used because in some instances it is best metric available and over time it is generally correct but you have to watch the game to put any color on the numbers

Reactions: Deuce22

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If they had a metric for quality scoring chances then zegras' line definitely outplayed them. Shots on goal is such a bad metric in general. I get why it is used because in some instances it is best metric available and over time it is generally correct but you have to watch the game to put any color on the numbers

Completely agree. They do have metrics that factor in scoring chances which I used but they are still incredibly flawed over small samples.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
xGF% is exactly that. It takes into account shot quality for both teams when that player is on the ice. Zegras’ line was not very good last night (not Zegras’ fault at all). Jones-Getzlaf-Milano was easily our best line.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
xGF% is exactly that. It takes into account shot quality for both teams when that player is on the ice. Zegras’ line was not very good last night (not Zegras’ fault at all). Jones-Getzlaf-Milano was easily our best line.
Is it based off shot attempts or actual shots?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
If someone isn't fired by the time I get over this hangover I'm going to be very upset.
tumblr_nes7ojYuLa1sg1nsao1_250.gifv

Reactions: duckaroosky

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Is it based off shot attempts or actual shots?

Attempts and where each attempt is taken from gives the shot attempt a probability of scoring. It’s still flawed but is better than Corsi and over larger samples does tend to be a good indicator of how a team has done with a certain player on the ice (but obviously more context is still required in any evaluations such as linemates, competition etc).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Attempts and where each attempt is taken from gives the shot attempt a probability of scoring. It’s still flawed but is better than Corsi and over larger samples does tend to be a good indicator of how a team has done with a certain player on the ice (but obviously more context is still required in any evaluations such as linemates, competition etc).
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Love the way Jones has played recently. You can tell he's pissed

I watched this post-game and then Eakins was up next and was basically asked if he agreed with Jones and he said not really/exactly and started talking about how it's not lack of effort and they just got the bounces against them and such.

Up until now, sure I didn't like some lineup/ice time decisions, but this interview made me want him gone.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The only player that I would describe as "defensive" is grant. Who else? Silfverberg? In the third they ran the same lines out there, with grant in for zegras a couple times. I find it beyond incredulous we can't play offensively because grant subbed in for zegras a hand full of times.

The OT stuff is a different animal, with eakins coaching like he has PTSD.
Deslauriers took Milano's spot on the Getzlaf line when we had the lead at least once.

edit: see that this was already mentioned.

But this is a problem. Deslauriers is and has never been a "defensive" forward. He's an energy forward. I have no idea how Eakins or Murray or the assistants or whoever got the idea that he's likely to be better defensively than someone like Milano. I guess, yes, he probably won't blindly throw the puck away trying to create something, but he also isn't particularly good at anything that would be considered beneficial when trying to protect a lead.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Has everyone just had selective amnesia about the first several weeks of the season? The Deslauriers Grant Rowney line was the shutdown line for other team’s top lines from pretty much day 1. It’s not some new thing that those guys are getting used defensively.
Well Rowney is the best defensively of those 3 and he is out. Grant for Zegras, I don't like it, but I can understand it. Deslauriers is not, and has never, been known as a quality defensive player.

Come to think of it, I remember Milano making at least a couple of good defensive plays last night.

Reactions: ADHB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad