Speculation: Anaheim and Expansion - Why the Ducks are in great shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
"There's no chance in hell Bieksa will take up a slot" but now suddenly anaheim fans are experts again and everyone else is dumb and biased

Lol, this pretty much sums it up

I love how everyone is being told they don't understand the situation.

Like Ducks fans have any ****ing clue either

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I still think the highest that the prospect goes is to Jones. Murray did talk casually about his weaknesses as a player at the select a seat. I figure Theo, Steel, Montour, and Ritchie will still be here, but who knows.
Yeah, I keep forgetting about Jones because I don't like him much. But he's a valuable piece. Is he worth saving a million bucks and not having to rush a Vatanen trade? ....maybe?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
No matter what deal develops, Ducks will lose a better asset than almost every team out there except for maybe Minny. That's the price for having a good deep team on an expansion draft year. The ducks will still be a very good team. How this situation is spun into being in great shape is frankly asinine or heavy usage of alternative facts.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I still think the highest that the prospect goes is to Jones. Murray did talk casually about his weaknesses as a player at the select a seat. I figure Theo, Steel, Montour, and Ritchie will still be here, but who knows.

Not a chance. This a team that needs all the help they van get and a division rival to boot. Why are they doing the Ducks big favours?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Props to Ducks fans for being super chill and optimistic about this all though, for real.

If the Rangers expansion list looked anything like the Ducks, I'd be on the streets rioting for my GM to be fired.

But, I'm a pessimist, I guess.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Okay, dream scenario.

Ducks trade Vatanen.
Ducks ask Bieksa to waive.
Bieksa waives, because that is a given, for some reason.
Ducks protect Manson.

LVGK now has to select Stoner, and they lose the decent prospect and or pick that was going to be gifted to them along with Stoner had ANA left Vatanen and Manson exposed, like they are today.

See how this doesn't make sense to me from an LVGK point of view?

Is the 'decent prospect and or pick' worth it to LVGK to allow Anaheim, a division rival, out of this mess free of charge?

I wouldn't allow it.

But hey, like I said, we'll see Wednesday, right?

Vegas and the Ducks are in the same division, so I guess that makes them division rivals in name, but in reality they are trying to accomplish the exact opposite right now. Vegas doesn't gain anything from sacrificing a greater return of future assets in order to screw the Ducks in the present.

Vegas getting a good pick/prospect to help build their system(receiving a future asset from a team you're hoping to rival in the future)....is so much more beneficial to them than saying "screw you Anaheim, make your moves and we'll just take the depth piece you leave us".

Realistically if you're a first year expansion team, and someone offers you say a 2nd round pick and a decent D prospect like Pettersson in order to take on one year of a contract, you think you'd rather just take a depth player instead because that team happens to be in your division?

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
"There's no chance in hell Bieksa will take up a slot" but now suddenly anaheim fans are experts again and everyone else is dumb and biased

Has nothing to do with dumb and biased, has eveything to do with being logical (not a lot of logic here..)

You tell me why not just trade vatanen before ED and not lose him for nothing? Think the GM forgot or got tired?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Lol, this pretty much sums it up

I love how everyone is being told they don't understand the situation.

Like Ducks fans have any ****ing clue either

Again, for the umpteenth time, we do have a clue.

The ONLY reason Bieksa did not waive, and the ONLY reason Vatanen is still a Duck is because there is a deal in place to protect the Anaheim ducks.

Please try to understand this.

half the world is being ignorant and saying "Anaheim is screwed. They have to pay the full price of both Vatanen and Manson" Which is insanely incorrect.

It just isn't correct.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Okay. We get it. We misunderestimated our GM's game plan. The smart move.

We still don't know what trade we have in place with Vegas so relax.

I just wanted to make clear. Has Murray come out and publicly said that the ducks aren't gonna lose something major this expansion draft. Like to the media, or is this speculation by ducks fans part that he would be smart enough to make a deal. If he's said s publicly, than there is nothing to worry and this thread will be funny, but for ducks fan being right all along. But if he hasn't and duck fans thought he would he smart enough to do than they could end up losing a major player or set of picks/prospects.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Okay, dream scenario.

Ducks trade Vatanen.
Ducks protect Manson.

LVGK now has to select Stoner, and they lose the decent prospect and or pick that was going to be gifted to them along with Stoner had ANA left Vatanen and Manson exposed, like they are today.

Is the 'decent prospect and or pick' worth it to LVGK to allow Anaheim, a division rival, out of this mess free of charge?

I wouldn't allow it.

In that scenario, Vegas would either take a bubble guy or Stoner on their own because he'll bring an asset back at the deadline. Thats how grim it looked for them in that scenario, taking Stoner for free would be an actual consideration. Its less letting Anaheim off the hook and more actually getting something out of it.

This deals was possibly made when the playoffs were still going on, it was definitely discussed then (as opposed to other teams who apparently only just started talking). Seems quite plausible that it was McPhee who initiated this one.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Vegas and the Ducks are in the same division, so I guess that makes them division rivals in name, but in reality they are trying to accomplish the exact opposite right now. Vegas doesn't gain anything from sacrificing a greater return of future assets in order to screw the Ducks in the present.

Vegas getting a good pick/prospect to help build their system(receiving a future asset from a team you're hoping to rival in the future)....is so much more beneficial to them than saying "screw you Anaheim, make your moves and we'll just take the depth piece you leave us".

Realistically if you're a first year expansion team, and someone offers you say a 2nd round pick and a decent D prospect like Pettersson in order to take on one year of a contract, you think you'd rather just take a depth player instead because that team happens to be in your division?

Yeah. Optimism. I respect it. I do.

I'd much rather make no deal. Force the Ducks to jump through some hoops, and lose the 2nd round pick and a decent D prospect at the chance of being able to gain a potential cornerstone right-handed 26 year-old d-man.

But that's me.

With your GM, I don't blame you.

Sather isn't the GM anymore. Not sure what you have against Jeff Gorton :dunno:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Okay, dream scenario.

Ducks trade Vatanen.
Ducks protect Manson.

I wouldn't allow it.

Vegas isn't allowing us to do anything though, Vegas has no impact on us on whether we protect or lose Vats and Manson. The only thing the deal with Vegas that has any impact is allowing us to hold on to Vats past the ED so that we can shop him to a larger market, and not ask Bieksa to waive (Murray is a pretty old school GM so stuff like that probably means a lot to him).

The deal allows Vegas to get more than just say Stoner, Vermette or some depth piece; they are most likely getting a decent prospect or pick (let's say Theo) and they take Kerdiles as an example. Vegas also doesn't have to take Stoner, if they do I can see us adding to Theo to make it worth it to Vegas.

So Vegas gets Theo and Kerdiles from this deal, instead of just Kerdiles had they not agreed to a deal.

Ultimately, this deal is just helping each other, which is normal; not every GM is out to screw the other like this board wants them to do.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Props to Ducks fans for being super chill and optimistic about this all though, for real.

If the Rangers expansion list looked anything like the Ducks, I'd be on the streets rioting for my GM to be fired.

If your team was a 5-time consecutive division champion while boasting a top-10 prospect pool in the league, you'd riot for the GM to be fired?

Nice, sounds like Duck fans actually.

Too bad BMGM is a god of this sport, and hardly anyone gives him credit for it minus all those GM of the year nominations

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I just wanted to make clear. Has Murray come out and publicly said that the ducks aren't gonna lose something major this expansion draft. Like to the media, or is this speculation by ducks fans part that he would be smart enough to make a deal. If he's said s publicly, than there is nothing to worry and this thread will be funny, but for ducks fan being right all along. But if he hasn't and duck fans thought he would he smart enough to do than they could end up losing a major player or set of picks/prospects.
Yes.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Or dumb?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Yes he has.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah. Optimism. I respect it. I do.

I'd much rather make no deal. Force the Ducks to jump through some hoops, and lose the 2nd round pick and a decent D prospect at the chance of being able to gain a potential cornerstone right-handed 26 year-old d-man.

But that's me.

Sather isn't the GM anymore. Not sure what you have against Jeff Gorton :dunno:

But you're missing the part where they never get the 26 year old Dman. It's either make a trade with the Ducks to get those assets, or force them to "jump through hoops" and leave you with nothing. Neither scenario gives Vegas an actual chance to select Manson or Vatanen if we agree that Anaheim would have indeed jumped through said hoops if they were forced to.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The most obvious outcome:

Assuming Vegas takes something less than Theo/our next 5 firsts or whatever, HF will suddenly have a come to Jesus moment about whatever Ducks prospect ends up being traded, because they're going to HAVE to argue that prospect is actually an amazing prospect and a huge loss to the team.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Again, for the umpteenth time, we do have a clue.

The ONLY reason Bieksa did not waive, and the ONLY reason Vatanen is still a Duck is because there is a deal in place to protect the Anaheim ducks.

Please try to understand this.

half the world is being ignorant and saying "Anaheim is screwed. They have to pay the full price of both Vatanen and Manson" Which is insanely incorrect.

It just isn't correct.

That's great you think you know what is going to happen with your team

I'm less inclined to believe you

You don't even need to have a clue to use your brain and some logic..

Thanks for pointing this out, I have been forgetting to you my brain lately. Don't know what I would have done if you didn't point it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad