Proposal: Ana-Tor

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Manson is going into the same contract year Muzzin got moved in mid season..And the Muzzin deal was a B prosepct+playoff team 1st rounder. Manson is not as good as Muzzin so why would he have more value in a trade? People are not understanding the value of that 1st round pick. We may need to add to the pick a bit to get Manson but not a ton.

Muzzin was being shopped to the highest bidder. The Ducks "love Manson more than you love your wife" and have told teams not to bother unless calling with a "tremendous offer".

Their value in a bubble may be similar, but we are talking about prying Manson away, it would take more than what you're probably to going to consider fair - and in OP's deal the Leafs are getting him at just 2M per season.

I understand Leafs fans looking at that cost and thinking it's steep - but do any of you honestly think you could get Rakell and Manson for under 4M combined and be really happy with the cost? A lot of Leafs fans are too quick to dismiss this one, a lot of benefit here given their current financial situation.

Nylander for Rakell @ 50% should honestly be pretty close, Nylander may be the better asset, but not when you lower Rakell's salary below 2M in a flat cap era. A two time 30 goal guy at that rate is insane value. Simply put, if a team wants to pry Manson away and expects the Ducks to retain half his remaining deal - Liljegren + 15th is not absurd at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: duckpuck

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Manson is going into the same contract year Muzzin got moved in mid season..And the Muzzin deal was a B prosepct+playoff team 1st rounder. Manson is not as good as Muzzin so why would he have more value in a trade? People are not understanding the value of that 1st round pick. We may need to add to the pick a bit to get Manson but not a ton.

Manson is also a RHD (closes some of the value gap), would be available to integrate during training camp/pre-season, and would be making $2 mil with the retention during a flat cap (half of what Muzzin made at the time of the trade?).

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Manson is also a RHD (closes some of the value gap), would be available to integrate during training camp/pre-season, and would be making $2 mil with the retention during a flat cap (half of what Muzzin made at the time of the trade?).

I'm not sure where the Muzzin is better than Manson claim is coming from. Manson is a RHD and brings more toughness/physicality than Muzzin, not to mention being a bit younger than Muzzin was at the time of the trade. I think they're pretty comparable on the ice, albeit with different roles. Manson scores less points given how he's used - on a shut down type of pairing - and the fact that his team doesn't score very much.

Even if you think Muzzin is better, it doesn't necessarily make him more valuable. I think its easier to find a LHD like Muzzin than a RHD like Manson. And Muzzin was traded in a period with a rising cap - Manson won't be (if he's traded at all).

Reactions: lwvs84

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Leafs just got a 1st and a prospect for a speedy 3rd line winger. I wouldn't have traded Kap straight up for Manson if I was the Ducks. So if Kap is basically worth 15th + Prospect, Manson should be worth more. Maybe you're not understanding the value of a 1st?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Kap is young and is going to be an RFA after two years which makes his value high. I dont think the leafs will need 50% retention, that claim was made by the OP to try and pry more value from the leafs.
If Ducks dont wanna trade Manson then they dont wanna trade him, that doesnt change his value which is similar to Muzzins when he was moved. You could also compare to the Mcdonagh trade who was at the time a #1 all purpose D man who has 1.5 years left on his deal.

Saying "Ducks dont want to trade Manson" isnt a real argument to boost his value. And the RHD argument will boost his value a bit but not enough to magically him more valuable than Muzzin. I dont really see why the Ducks wouldnt want to move their older valuable pieces for quality futures though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
15th Overall + Pierre Engvall + ????

for

Josh Manson (50% retained) + BOS 1st

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I know people are down on Manson because " he's just not that good" but if this thread is any indication of his actual value I just can't see him being traded. None of these deals really offer the Ducks anything to warrant moving their top pairing physical shut down RD with leadership qualities and has shown he can indeed handle those minutes, despite the rampant narrative on HF. If we're not getting something we desperately need ,which is top end offense, then what Manson offers the Ducks is worth a lot more than the 15th overall pick and some change.

Reactions: duckpuck

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Suprised Leaf fans are automatically dismissing this. Steep price but gives the Leafs 2 quality players at really cheap cap hits for 2 years plus quite a bit of additional cap savings. Along with Manson they could roll that extra 3M into another quality defender and be a much more balanced team for at least 2 years.

Its not that Either players is bad, it’s that both are UFA’s in two years time. Both looking for likely a massive payday as it will be their last time to cash in. Lastly we have Rielly to worry about it 2 years time which means this team only has two years to win a cup and then it’s done, sorry but no thanks.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Suprised Leaf fans are automatically dismissing this. Steep price but gives the Leafs 2 quality players at really cheap cap hits for 2 years plus quite a bit of additional cap savings. Along with Manson they could roll that extra 3M into another quality defender and be a much more balanced team for at least 2 years.

I think it comes down to it being just too steep a price.

You want to justify losing Nylander's upside for the immediate benefit of Manson & Rakell @ 50% -- I get that. To give up a 15th OA pick and our 2nd best defensive prospect (former 17th OA pick) is simply too much into trying to win in the next 2 years.

If trading Nylander was something the Leafs were going to do, I do not believe they would have traded Kapanen.

That being said, I can see the Leafs trying to use that 15th OA towards a guy Josh Manson. If Manson comes at 50% retained, I'm not sure it gets you 15th OA and Liljegren, but it probably comes close. Maybe you include one of Kerfoot/Johnsson/Dermott and on the flip side Rakell, and that's how you justify the Leafs trading their 2 most valuable tradable futures.

I know we rarely see these huge deals anymore, but perhaps something like:
15th OA, Johnsson, Liljegren, Dermott for Manson @ 50%, Rakell, and Anaheim's 2nd rounder this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ducks wouldn’t retain on those deals from an organizational perspective given the term.

Nylander for Rakell straight up is interesting to me.

Leafs get a comparable scoring talent on relatively decent term for dirt cheap cap wise. Anaheim gets a young stud to help usher in the next era of Ducks and he also already looks like a Anaheim bro.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Given the Kapanen Trade, the Leafs can't really afford to trade Nylander anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad