Proposal: Ana-Tb-Ott

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Value is not bad. I just really don't think Tampa will give up Sergachev.

The thing is though, Sergachev is definitely gone when Seattle enters the league because of the expansion draft.

Otherwise I'd probably agree, but I could see Tampa being willing to move him.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The thing is though, Sergachev is definitely gone when Seattle enters the league because of the expansion draft.

Wrong. Our only defenseman who requires protection is Hedman; if we get Karlsson we’ll also protect him and Sergachev. We’ll probably be hoping McDonagh gets taken by that point anyway to give us some more breathing room with the cap and to get out of the last years of his deal. If we don’t get Karlsson then his spot could be taken by McDonagh/Foote/Cernak/Masin depending on how McDonagh is playing at that point. Going four and four is also an option depending on who our most essential exposed players are.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Wrong. Our only defenseman who requires protection is Hedman; if we get Karlsson we’ll also protect him and Sergachev. We’ll probably be hoping McDonagh gets taken by that point anyway to give us some more breathing room with the cap and to get out of the last years of his deal. If we don’t get Karlsson then his spot could be taken by McDonagh/Foote/Cernak/Masin depending on how McDonagh is playing at that point. Going four and four is also an option depending on who our most essential exposed players are.

But the point is if you trade Sergachev you could still protect McDonagh.

Essentially if Sergachev is not part of the trade, McDonagh is implicitly being sacrificed as part of the trade.

You could protect 4D sure, but I think Tampa would lose too important of a forward in that case.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

if we don't go for karlsson we just protect hedman mcdonagh sergachev.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Right, and you don’t get Karlsson. I’m saying if you do get Karlsson, Sergachev going the other way is not that big of a concern in light of what I just laid out.
eh, its a concern as in its a good player coming off the roster. and a good young one at that. and as andre said we are probably ok with losing mcdonagh in a couple years. with that said I am ok with moving sergachev+ for an extended karlsson. serg isn't a major stumbling block for me.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
eh, its a concern as in its a good player coming off the roster. and a good young one at that. and as andre said we are probably ok with losing mcdonagh in a couple years. with that said I am ok with moving sergachev+ for an extended karlsson. serg isn't a major stumbling block for me.

The issue is Karlsson won’t be traded to you for free.

You’re going to have to give up some valuable assets to get him, so basically the options are:

Sergachev + some stuff

One of your best prospects + some stuff + letting McDonagh go to Seattle

My point is I could see a very real argument for option 1 being as good or better to option 2 from Tampa’s perspective, plus the Sens would prefer option 1.

Even if you think option 2 is better for Tampa, if Sens are insisting on option 1, it’s probably close enough to pull the trigger if it means adding Karlsson vs not getting him and him being traded to another team.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The issue is Karlsson won’t be traded to you for free.

You’re going to have to give up some valuable assets to get him, so basically the options are:

Sergachev + some stuff

One of your best prospects + some stuff + letting McDonagh go to Seattle

My point is I could see a very real argument for option 1 being as good or better to option 2 from Tampa’s perspective, plus the Sens would prefer option 1.
would Melnyk though? considering he is Ukrainian...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ottawa has absolutely no leverage, Karlsson obviously wants out and he's a pending UFA. They're not getting any young stars. They couldn't even get Glass from Vegas. Tampa has tons of good prospects and picks to offer Ottawa instead.

They will hold onto him until they do. If that means he’s dealt at the TDL then so be it. The point in trading him now is to get that top tier young player, if your not getting it why trade him. They will have no trouble getting prospects and 1st/2nd round picks at the TDL.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anaheims 1st and Nick Ritchie for Tyler Johnson.

I mean I guess if that allows them to fit EK65 unseeing their cap ceiling.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Anaheims 1st and Nick Ritchie for Tyler Johnson.

I mean I guess if that allows them to fit EK65 unseeing their cap ceiling.

I wouldn’t mind it. Tyler Johnson is a good 50 point center. And with kesler injury prone. He fits right on to the 2nd/3rd line.

I just don’t get how Tampa wants to get rid of Johnson for so cheap. That pick is going to be late if Johnson joins Anaheim, and Nick Ritchie is a struggling winger.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Johnson also has value for being a healthy 50 point center. Dude played 81 games 1 shy of an entire season last year. Like I said I don’t get why Johnson would be had for so cheap.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tampa cant trade their first and there is no cap dump in the deal

Wouldnt work
??? Tyler Johnson makes $5M+. Moving him would easily fit Karlsson for this season and Yzerman could work the rest of the season on a Callahan dump.

Not that I expect you, of all people, to be rational when it comes to TB

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
??? Tyler Johnson makes $5M+. Moving him would easily fit Karlsson for this season and Yzerman could work the rest of the season on a Callahan dump.

Not that I expect you, of all people, to be rational when it comes to TB
Their 1st still isnt able to be traded and I doubt Callahan isnt included in the same deal for Karlsson

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
They have. It's call "trading Karlsson to another team if you don't met their demands".

Maybe Vegas didn't want to trade Glass, but it's more about the fact that they don't have a big prospect pool, and they're probably not banking on being a Stanley Cup Finalist each year so they don't want to risk too much.

Tampa on the other side want to win the cup right now, they want to be the best team for the next couple of seasons. They can sacrifice a player like Sergachev if it's for the best (or one of the best) D-man in the league. Not ideal, but it's a trade in the same division, Tampa will need to offer even more then Vegas.

You don't understand what leverage is.

If more than 1 team is interested then it's wrong and ridiculous to say that Ottawa has "no leverage whatsoever".

That's not how it works.

You do realize that the teams that are on Karlsson are fighting against each other for the same prize, not just trying to take advantage of the Sens miserable situation? Dorion might be weak but the offer good enough to get Karlsson has to be better than the offers from other teams.

Ottawa may have leverage to get a better package, but none of the teams interested want to give up a young potential star like Sergachev or Heiskanen. It's very unlikely that Ottawa gets anybody of that caliber. However, Tampa Bay has the best collection of picks and prospects to offer, and if other teams end up offering a "young star" like that, then Tampa can still give up Serg. They wouldn't like it, but if that actually ends up being what's required to give up, then they could live with it. But unless that does happen, Ottawa doesn't have the leverage to ask for a player of Serg's caliber.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ottawa may have leverage to get a better package, but none of the teams interested want to give up a young potential star like Sergachev or Heiskanen. It's very unlikely that Ottawa gets anybody of that caliber. However, Tampa Bay has the best collection of picks and prospects to offer, and if other teams end up offering a "young star" like that, then Tampa can still give up Serg. They wouldn't like it, but if that actually ends up being what's required to give up, then they could live with it. But unless that does happen, Ottawa doesn't have the leverage to ask for a player of Serg's caliber.

Exactly the point we were trying to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad