Waived: [ANA] Ryan Garbutt

Davey Duck

Mar 26, 2006
*Stolen from Detroit
All you "Garbutt before Boll?!?!?!" guys need to remember that Boll and Vermette are our two forwards that we plan on having expansion draft eligible. Boll will probably hit 40 games to be eligible and then sit the rest of the way. We lose someone much better than Garbutt if we don't have 2 players to expose.

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
All you "Garbutt before Boll?!?!?!" guys need to remember that Boll and Vermette are our two forwards that we plan on having expansion draft eligible. Boll will probably hit 40 games to be eligible and then sit the rest of the way. We lose someone much better than Garbutt if we don't have 2 players to expose.

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Logan Shaw only needs to play 10 more games and be qualified to be expansion eligible so there goes that. The fact is that Carlyle is a moron who needs to have a useless enforcer on the roster and on most nights wasting a spot in the lineup. That's a fact that has been proven time and time again.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Logan Shaw only needs to play 10 more games and be qualified to be expansion eligible so there goes that. The fact is that Carlyle is a moron who needs to have a useless enforcer on the roster and on most nights wasting a spot in the lineup. That's a fact that has been proven time and time again.

Wagner was also eligible with a certain number more games (forget the amount)

Edit: 23 more games.

Davey Duck

Mar 26, 2006
*Stolen from Detroit

Not under contract for next year.

Wagner was also eligible with a certain number more games (forget the amount)

Edit: 23 more games.

This is a more legit option I didn't think about. Anyway, I believe at the time of the Boll signing this was the entire intent (no Vermette yet, I think) and apparently they haven't given up on him being one of the guys.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not under contract for next year.

He doesn't need to be. Only has to be qualified. Or they could extend him. Or extend Garbutt. Or play Wagner 23 more games. There are a multitude of options available to them that don't involve Boll. The expansion is not the reason Boll was signed and it's not the reason Boll is still on the roster, but Carlyle is.

Even trying to argue he was signed with the intent to be expansion fodder doesn't make sense when there were dozens of actual hockey players that would have jumped at the contract that Boll got.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Could see Habs putting in a claim because A) they have the injury bug and B) it would mean a Gallagher, Shaw, Garbutt on each of 3 different lines which could be really annoying.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If I didn't have DimJim running my favourite team I'd say that so far the Canucks would have highest priority in claim status I'd think of the posters who said they'd like him.
But alas I agree with someone who mentioned Boston. Seems like a decent Julien player and he wouldn't be with complete scrubs there. Also makes sense because Boston is quite a bit ahead of Vancouver in the standings and arent icing the hockey greats like Jayson Megna and Jack Skille

They must have read this post as they both have a two goal game tonight.:laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's gonna get picked up for sure.

If nothing else, he always seem to score a couple of important goals. Florida maybe ? They could use a spark.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Garbutt was waived before Boll precisely because he has a much greater chance of being claimed (Boll's chance is 0%). Ducks can clear a bit of salary/roster space.

I was not in favor of the trade initially, but Garbutt really cleaned up his act when he arrived. Very few penalties, good forechecker, killed penalties, and under boudreau took a regular shift a flashed a little scoring. He played reasonably well with Perry and Getlaf for a while. Under Carlyle, he gets 7-8 minutes a night (often with Boll and another scrub) and his play and stats reflect that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Garbutt wasn`t on the same level as Wagner/Shaw/Boll who looks like AHL`ers. Garbutt was actually playing like an NHL player so he ''fell out of the picture'' on that 4th line :facepalm:

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Would like him on the flyers. But with Gordon coming back from injury chances are slim. Though should be an upgrade over Cousins/Gordon

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Decent player with Rousell.

So far without him, not as much, but it's been a small sample.

Somebody will give him a look.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Decent player with Rousell.

So far without him, not as much, but it's been a small sample.

Somebody will give him a look.

He was very good in Anaheim last season, especially on a line with Nate Thompson and Chris Wagner. This season he hasn't been as good, but he has still been ok playing with plugs. This is Bob Murray being stupid, I don't get his reasons for waiving Garbutt at all. Like some have pointed out, it's probably a cap move. They're not saving much at all, but if they are despereate enough I guess saving $150-200k makes sense.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He was very good in Anaheim last season, especially on a line with Nate Thompson and Chris Wagner. This season he hasn't been as good, but he has still been ok playing with plugs. This is Bob Murray being stupid, I don't get his reasons for waiving Garbutt at all. Like some have pointed out, it's probably a cap move. They're not saving much at all, but if they are despereate enough I guess saving $150-200k makes sense.

You're right, he was very good with Thompson last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad