Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PIT] Daniel Sprong for Marcus Pettersson

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
the truth is that we don't know what kind of player he might be top 6 or bust. he wasn't given a fair shot to succeed. we do know he is has a way to go and could of used another year in the ahl. but paired with the right players he has a very good chance to do well.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Let's put Sprong into perspective...he's basically the same age as Troy Terry. He ripped up the AHL at the age of 20. He needs to mature and learn how to be a hockey player but the talent is there. Hopefully the Ducks can develop it.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
the truth is that we don't know what kind of player he might be top 6 or bust. he wasn't given a fair shot to succeed. we do know he is has a way to go and could of used another year in the ahl. but paired with the right players he has a very good chance to do well.
This is a bunch of garbage. He was given a shot. Pens fans just like to blame coaches, GMs, and veterans instead of holding young players accountable. He has a great shot, when he has space to get it off. That’s it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The fact that Murray STILL hasn’t said anything in what feels like 30 years makes me feel like he has another move planned.

Oct 18, 2011
100% the case.

Rutherford tried to play him in his rookie year and it was clear he wasn't ready, but in 18 games wasted, he burned his first year of his ELC and Sullivan barely played him when he took over. Then this year, his waiver eligibility gone, Sullivan never really gave him much rope to play through struggles like he did for countless others. Was barely given top 6 time, he clearly needs development in the AHL. But he's also a player that is skilled enough that you put him with like minded skilled players and let him play through it, he will do well. I hope he gets a spin with Henrique or Getzlaf, more so the latter as he has a wicked shot and Getz is a damn good playmaker that finds guys with a good shot in good spots to shoot.
Honestly if he doesn't play with Getz or Henrique I don't see a good spot for him. Maybe try him with Kase and Henrique?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly if he doesn't play with Getz or Henrique I don't see a good spot for him. Maybe try him with Kase and Henrique?
It depends, what's your line-up like right now? To get Sprong and put him on the 4th line would be repeating the same mistake as Sullivan & Co. I would also hope Randy tries him on the LW.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I have no idea what this means but the Ducks now have 11 forwards with a right shot. I wonder if they seek those guys out on purpose.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Sad to see Pettersson go. I had him over Larsson but it was clear one of Larsson/Pettersson/Mahura will be traded at some point. The scenary for Pettersson will be great at PIT with much less crowd in front of him.

I'm not so afraid of Sprong. I'm pretty sure they have a strong picture of him since the draft is only 3y back. Somehow it looks to me, both Aberg and Sprong were high on the Ducks lists back then ;-). Sprong adds high end skill and speed. He will work out well here I blieve, like Aberg.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I'm not so afraid of Sprong. I'm pretty sure they have a strong picture of him since the draft is only 3y back. Somehow it looks to me, both Aberg and Sprong were high on the Ducks lists back then ;-). Sprong adds high end skill and speed. He will work out well here I blieve, like Aberg.
How many players that fail to live out the potential out at one team end up much better at another team?

I'd say odds are stacked up against him.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
How many players that fail to live out the potential out at one team end up much better at another team?

I'd say odds are stacked up against him.

He is 21. Same age as Troy Terry. I think he can still live up to his potential. How many players? Wild Bill comes to my mind. I do not like to judge players before they are 24/25 years of age. Some just need the time and the right situation.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He is 21. Same age as Troy Terry. I think he can still live up to his potential. How many players? Wild Bill comes to my mind. I do not like to judge players before they are 24/25 years of age. Some just need the time and the right situation.
Wild Bill always had the smarts but lacked some experience, adjustment to NA, physical tools.
Sprong apparently have a questionable IQ and a very limited variety of skills. That`s different. But I agree we have to be a bit patient with Sprong for him to show what he can do, it won`t happen in his first game. But he have to show he is willing to adapt, do forecheck, backcheck and win some battles, etc.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Having slept over the night, I feel more and more conflicted about this trade. Coppinger was selling Pettersson very short with his couple of tweets, but he's clearly a boxing guy through and through. Can't say I've seen Sprong a lot but based on the many scouting reports from our fellow Pens fans, I feel like Pettersson is the better player right now and quite possibly will be in the future. But something was due to happen and why not gamble. Not sure what else could've have been had for Pettersson.

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Having slept over the night, I feel more and more conflicted about this trade. Coppinger was selling Pettersson very short with his couple of tweets, but he's clearly a boxing guy through and through. Can't say I've seen Sprong a lot but based on the many scouting reports from our fellow Pens fans, I feel like Pettersson is the better player right now and quite possibly will be in the future. But something was due to happen and why not gamble. Not sure what else could've have been had for Pettersson.
Coppinger is somehow even worse than Stephens. Zero insight into the team or interest in the sport.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Wild Bill always had the smarts but lacked some experience, adjustment to NA, physical tools.
Sprong apparently have a questionable IQ and a very limited variety of skills. That`s different. But I agree we have to be a bit patient with Sprong for him to show what he can do, it won`t happen in his first game. But he have to show he is willing to adapt, do forecheck, backcheck and win some battles, etc.

I don't know, he has mixed reports on his smarts. And even if he lacks creativity he brings a mix of skill we could use. I like his shot and how he gets it off. If he could play like Cogs, forechecking hard. Add some scoring touch to this.

Sprong went from being one of the best prospects in hockey to useless shit pretty fast. Like I said, I'd like to see the Ducks draft ranking of his draft year. I personally think they were pretty high on him back then. Maybe he was the target for the 2nd rounder which was used for Nattinen.

We will see. I think he will work out here.

Btw Sprong is signed through next year. Pettersson isn't.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm predicting someone on here will say Sprong is crap after one game. Reference: Aberg. Liked Pettersson but he had been passed by Larsson and Mahura offers more offensive upside. Until proven wrong, I'll defer to our scouting on Sprong. Someone is the organization obviously likes him. Hearing so many Pens fans calling him a bust (at 21) gives me hope. Talent usually will surface when given the opportunity.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Crazy idea but I wonder if the Ducks will loan Sprong to a team in the SHL to give him top 6 playing time this year. My only concern with Sprong at this point is playing time...the right side is suddenly very crowded in Anaheim.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Crazy idea but I wonder if the Ducks will loan Sprong to a team in the SHL to give him top 6 playing time this year. My only concern with Sprong at this point is playing time...the right side is suddenly very crowded in Anaheim.
Nope

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
At end of day, Anaheim really isn't losing out by taking a gamble on Sprong by trading Pettersson. Our top 4 is already set for a long time, and Pettersson if he pans out perfectly would still only be our 5th best defenceman, while if Sprong works out we have a potential top 6 sniper (which we lack) and if he doesn't....well we've only lost a guy who may become a 2nd pairing guy in the future. Easily worth the gamble IMO.

Reactions: Deuce22

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Remember the last time we listened to Penguins’ fans? Or every other time?

Rowney, Despres, Perron, Lovejoy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad