Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NSH] Korbinian Holzer for Matt Irwin and 2022 6th round pick

TK

Feb 26, 2019
There's no way he's worse than Irwin.

As awful as he is, Matt Irwin isn't the single worst defenseman in the NHL, but he is close. Holzer is worse along with a very, very small number of others.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Holzer is better than some haters here are implying. But Eakins loves him and overplays, that leads to mistakes. If Preds are gonna play Holzer under 16 mins he`ll be fine - physical and can skate.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ducks just wanted a 6th round pick, so I guess they actually "won" one trade today. Holzer will bring some fake toughness for Nashville but get ready for bad penalties and a few horrible turnovers a game.

6th round pick, hooray! Great job Murray, that's gonna help us rebuild quicker.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Holzer is better than some haters here are implying. But Eakins loves him and overplays, that leads to mistakes. If Preds are gonna play Holzer under 16 mins he`ll be fine - physical and can skate.

While each time he's on the ice might seem like an eternity, Holzer has only played more than 16 minutes 4 times since December 10th. His overall TOI average is 16:14 per game, 14:29 at evens. I dont think 15 fewer seconds will magically make him serviceable.

Reactions: Kalv and Arthuros

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If he can beat two of Hamhuis/Weber/Tinordi for regular spot on 3rd pair then it's a good trade. Otherwise it's a whatever deal.

Odd thread, tho. Two fanbases arguing who's (ex-) player is worse. I'm kinda curious to find out.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I have watched him and I don't think that Holzer is the worst defenseman in the NHL. He is acceptable when he plays a very limited, simple game. Because he is right handed and the Ducks had only extremely limited choices for the right side he got in more games than he probably should have this year, and he has gotten into trouble trying to do more than he should. He will make a number of really dumb plays each game.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
One fan: My guy is shit!

Other fan: No! My guy is shit!

One fan: My guy is shittier!

Other fan: No! My guy is shittier!

One fan: My guy is so shitty he can fertilize gardens!

Other fan: My guy is so shitty he melts in water and smells worse than his hockey bag!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fair enough but as far as I'm concerned even if Irwin is terrible this deal is just a free pick for Anaheim

They are both below average (at best) and fill the same 6/7 role for the rest of the year on a team headed no where, definitely feels like a free pick.

Holzer was a guy that I always thought was surprisingly effective when he came over from Toronto, he could sit out for a long period of time as a 7th guy and then come in and play pretty steady. Definitely seems like a solid pro who was well respected in Anaheim. I really don't think the lack of NHL time last year did him any favors, as it has seemed as though the game had passed him by this season, struggles pretty bad when forced to make anything beyond the most basic play.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This is stupid. Holzer isn’t as bad as some are saying. He’s not good, but the frustration is that Eakins plays him over better players, even though they aren’t very good either. Keep him as the 7th D who plays 30 games a year and you’ll be fine. Clearly Nashville sees him as a slight upgrade to Irwin, which is probably accurate. I’m glad to get an asset for him, but come on fellow Duck fans; a 6th rounder several years from now is nothing to brag about.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad