Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] F Cutter Gauthier signs ELC with the Ducks (3 years, $950k AAV)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As a Kings fan, did you not already hate the Ducks? lol
As a Kings fan absolutely.

As a hockey fan they've had more than a few players I've liked individually over the years.. Selanne, Giguere, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kesler, Bieksa, Gibson..

That problem is solved with guys like Zegras and Gauthier

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

As a hockey fan they've had more than a few players I've liked individually over the years.. Selanne, Giguere, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kesler, Bieksa, Gibson..

For sure.

But in my opinion, don't see how Zegras - or for that matter, Gauthier, who hasn't even played an NHL game yet so we don't really know what he'll be like until probably a year from now - is any worse than Perry and arguably even Kesler and Bieksa. A couple non-Ducks friends of mine think Zegras is nowhere near as unlikable as Perry and Kesler. Hell even as a Ducks fan Perry has gotten to be really annoying since he's been gone.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For sure.

But in my opinion, don't see how Zegras - or for that matter, Gauthier, who hasn't even played an NHL game yet so we don't really know what he'll be like until probably a year from now - is any worse than Perry and arguably even Kesler and Bieksa. A couple non-Ducks friends of mine think Zegras is nowhere near as unlikable as Perry and Kesler. Hell even as a Ducks fan Perry has gotten to be really annoying since he's been gone.
As a kid I watched Kesler and Bieksa on the Moose.. I don't care that they're pieces of shit I'll always like them from those days.

Zegras and Gauthier just scream "entitled zoomer"

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

You liked those guys? Damn. I'm a Ducks fan and I barely liked them after they left the Ducks. Can't imagine liking them as a Kings fan haha.

• Haha
Reactions: snowave

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Bikesa and Kesler were former Moose guys I liked, Pronger and Perry were notable Team Canada players.

Honestly I'm a hockey fan before I'm a fan of a team
Honest question, if the bolded is the case, then why do you hate Zegras so much? He’s an up and coming potential star player who has shown great talent at such a young age. I see you post negatively about him in every thread he’s involved in. And your statement about how he seems like he’s entitled. Where exactly do you get that observation from? It’s pretty widely accepted by Ducks fans that he’s a very likeable teammate and loves giving to the community. That really doesn’t scream “entitled” at all.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Honest question, if the bolded is the case, then why do you hate Zegras so much? He’s an up and coming potential star player who has shown great talent at such a young age. I see you post negatively about him in every thread he’s involved in. And your statement about how he seems like he’s entitled. Where exactly do you get that observation from? It’s pretty widely accepted by Ducks fans that he’s a very likeable teammate and loves giving to the community. That really doesn’t scream “entitled” at all.
Very little attention to defence, the stupid lacrosse attempts, and generally an incredibly overrated player relative to his production (the last part isn't on him but rather hockey fans in general).

There's also the reports of him being such a "chill dude" that I question his give-a-shit meter.

I'm sure he's a decent dude and not a prick like Gauthier seems to be. My issues with Zegras are related to his play, and also the reaction to his playstyle pushing hockey in a bad direction.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Very little attention to defence,

He's definitely made strides in that area this year. McTavish is a far worse culprit in that regard, but since he's a good ol Canadian boy who once made a goal line save in the WJC he gets a pass for his lack of defensive effort now.

the stupid lacrosse attempts,

There's really only been a handful over his 4 years, and haven't they all ended up as goals? It's not like he's had a zillion unsuccessful attempts. If he was trying gimmick plays every game and getting two highlights a year but a bunch of negative plays, that'd be one thing, but that's not what he's doing.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He's definitely made strides in that area this year. McTavish is a far worse culprit in that regard, but since he's a good ol Canadian boy who once made a goal line save in the WJC he gets a pass for his lack of defensive effort now.

There's really only been a handful over his 4 years, and haven't they all ended up as goals? It's not like he's had a zillion unsuccessful attempts. If he was trying gimmick plays every game and getting two highlights a year but a bunch of negative plays, that'd be one thing, but that's not what he's doing.
The thing is, nobody's talking up McTavish as if he's some superstar face of the league type. He's not being put on the cover of video games. He's not in the conversation with players much better than him.

Zegras is known most for his gimmicky plays that make great tiktok highlights. I mean what else would a 60ish point player get this much hype for?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The thing is, nobody's talking up McTavish as if he's some superstar face of the league type.

Who the hell considers Zegras a superstar? And face of the league to who? People who only see highlights but never watch games? Who cares.

He's not being put on the cover of video games. He's not in the conversation with players much better than him.

Wheres that conversation happening? He has potential for sure, and is fairly productive as is. But I don't see him being talked about as a franchise player or anything. He's certainly not bad player by any means.

Zegras is known most for his gimmicky plays that make great tiktok highlights. I mean what else would a 60ish point player get this much hype for?

The people who only know the highlights aren't hockey fans. But big deal. We don't live in a world where deflections and gritty goals are gonna go viral with non hockey folk, but so what?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Very little attention to defence, the stupid lacrosse attempts, and generally an incredibly overrated player relative to his production (the last part isn't on him but rather hockey fans in general).

There's also the reports of him being such a "chill dude" that I question his give-a-shit meter.

I'm sure he's a decent dude and not a prick like Gauthier seems to be. My issues with Zegras are related to his play, and also the reaction to his playstyle pushing hockey in a bad direction.
Sounds like you haven’t watched him this season because he’s definitely improved defensively. He was asked to work on that part of his game and he did just that.

He has what, 3 lacrosse attempts which all resulted in goals? (I think) It’s not like he’s trying to pull one off every week or just hotdogging out there. He’s been effective when he’s used it.

The guy has a ton of puck skill, which is obvious if you watch him. That results into highlight plays, social media posts, and marketability. (Which also explains being on the cover of a video game). It’s a marketing thing.

As for stats. Back to back 60+ point seasons in your first two full seasons is pretty damn good at his age. I won’t change your mind and that’s fine but it sounds more like an obvious bias against the player rather than him just being some entitled young hotdog player who doesn’t give a sh*t.

Edit: his play style doesn’t push hockey in a bad direction. It brings more attention to the game. You’re sounding like the old man yelling at the clouds.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Who the hell considers Zegras a superstar? And face of the league to who? People who only see highlights but never watch games? Who cares.

Wheres that conversation happening? He has potential for sure, and is fairly productive as is. But I don't see him being talked about as a franchise player or anything. He's certainly not bad player by any means.

The people who only know the highlights aren't hockey fans. But big deal. We don't live in a world where deflections and gritty goals are gonna go viral with non hockey folk, but so what?
You're missing the subtext about how he desecrated the hallowed EANHL franchise with his appearance on the cover.

That's pretty much 90% of where all the "overrated" humdrum comes from.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The thing is, nobody's talking up McTavish as if he's some superstar face of the league type. He's not being put on the cover of video games. He's not in the conversation with players much better than him.

I dont think its some crazy idea why the League might use zegras charm/personality for marketing.... Very few players have good personalities on camera/off ice.

Zegras is one of the few nhl players id actually show an interview with to a non hockey fan.

Is he a superstar... no not yet... does he have the talent/potential to get there... yes absolutely. Putting up back to back 60 point seasons on a disaster of an anaheim team is pretty impressive.

People still bringing up his defense issues are just being lazy... hes taken strides in the right direction defensively... and hes going to continue to improve there.

Zegras is actually becoming more underrated than overrated at this point.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
You're missing the subtext about how he desecrated the hallowed EANHL franchise with his appearance on the cover.

And he’s apparently ruining the game of hockey as well. “and also the reaction to his playstyle pushing hockey in a bad direction.”

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Ya im sure he threw a massive fit too when he saw a girl on the cover.

THE HORROR

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Ducks fans are happy with him good for ya'll, enjoy your guy. I've said my piece, not gunna win the court of public opinion on this one. Respectfully ill happily hate the Ducks and shit on him where appropriate

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

I'm an old fart so I don't pay attention to that. Haven't bought EA in years. When I want an EA hockey fix I play NHL 94 on a Genesis emulator on my PC with updated rosters.

Either that or I have a go with my kids on the Super Chexx. Or as of last year I can break out this sweet thing:

Trick-Shot-Game-Experience.jpg

Now get off my lawn!

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

ESPN is a great barometer of casual idiot fan.

When the only coverage of the NHL they give is a Zegras hotdog play, it's hard to argue he is a catalyst bridge (face) for the league. Especially as a USA kid. That is gold money right there regardless of success or failure on the part of PR marketers.

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ya im sure he threw a massive fit too when he saw a girl on the cover.

THE HORROR
For the record the bit I play the game is for the GM mode. Whatever random minor leaguers they wanna throw on there to sell copies good for them.

I just find it laughable that of all the stars in the NHL they could've gone with, they picked a random 60 point player

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm an old fart so I don't pay attention to that. Haven't bought EA in years. When I want an EA hockey fix I play NHL 94 on a Genesis emulator on my PC with updated rosters.

Either that or I have a go with my kids on the Super Chexx. Or as of last year I can break out this sweet thing:

View attachment 853063

Now get off my lawn!
That's what kills me about the EA cover being blown so out of proportion. Like yeah, sure, there's a legacy of established superstars being selected for the cover over the years and Zegras wasn't at that level when he was chosen. But at the end of the day it's a marketing choice made by EA, a dogshit gaming corporation whose NHL games are the worst product in the EA Sports lineup, meaning the only thing that company contributes to the sport of hockey is having the only licensed video game available for the sport/league. Past that their effort on the series is as lazy as it gets. Yet fans still equate the cover to some exalted honor on par with NHL awards like the Hart trophy and Zegras being on the cover being some sacrilegious travesty.

Marketability and deserved accolades are two very different things. Whether or not a player is marketable is not dependent on whether or not they excel at the sport. If the idea is that the best players should be marketed better, it'd be easier if more half of the best players in the league had more personality than a wooden stump.

Ultimately, if Zegras attracts more fans with his personality and skill plays, what does the league lose exactly? And why should it affect Zegras' liability that some shit gaming company picked him to market their game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad