Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] F Cutter Gauthier signs ELC with the Ducks (3 years, $950k AAV)

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Look at all the positive posts.... I'm sure that will last.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How does he do that with only 1 NHL game left for ducks. Is that enough games? I may be getting confused with the 9 game juniors rule

Slide rule only applies to teenagers. Since Gauthier signed at 20, the first year can get burned as long as it is registered for the current season.

Devils did this with Luke Hughes last year. He counted as 20 since it's the player's age at September 15th of that calendar year; Hughes signed in April but didn't turn 20 until early September.

Somebody like Clayton Keller signed at 19, so his first year slid since he didn't play in 10+ NHL games.

Flyers did this with Alex Lyon many years ago. Lyon signed April 2016 and the contract was registered for 2015-16. Lyon burned that first year without officially appearing in any games.

One player who I didn't realize had his first year burned last year was Erik Portillo. Sabres traded him to LA in March 2023 and he signed a month later. Contract was registered for that season so the first year burned. He'll be RFA after this season as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad