Confirmed with Link: [ANA/COL] Ben Meyers for 2024 5th round pick

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Or just grab someone off waivers and save the pick. Terry was a 5th rounder, so you never know. But apparently Cronin likes this guy, so we’ll see.
And that was clearly enough of a green light to make this trade. Verbeek giving a vote of confidence to his coach. Great.

Reactions: McDonald19

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Yum small and soft like we like them…

Looking into his stats maybe we like him for his faceoff potential…. And he only took one penalty this season so it’s a strategy to get off the referee union’s shit list?

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I hope he plays for the Gulls most of next season. We need support there too.

He is waiver exempt for now. Looks like he is eligible next year. Does it that matter though?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was hoping to see some more Gulls like Nester and even Tracey, rather than sending out a draft pick for a roster filler.
From all reports, Tracey hasn't earned it. For what it's worth, Meyers has WAY better numbers than Tracey in the AHL. He's older, but if we're talking about production, Meyers deserves the spot more than Tracey.

I'm not sure about Nesterenko. I wouldn't have minded him getting a callup, but perhaps this has to do with Meyers playing center. I think Nesterenko has been a winger in the AHL.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yum small and soft like we like them…

Looking into his stats maybe we like him for his faceoff potential…. And he only took one penalty this season so it’s a strategy to get off the referee union’s shit list?

From where are you gathering that he's soft, lack of PIMs? Scouting reports I'm reading are saying the opposite, tenacious and strong on the boards. I'll take a small player who plays hard, over a gentle giant.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
From all reports, Tracey hasn't earned it. For what it's worth, Meyers has WAY better numbers than Tracey in the AHL. He's older, but if we're talking about production, Meyers deserves the spot more than Tracey.

I'm not sure about Nesterenko. I wouldn't have minded him getting a callup, but perhaps this has to do with Meyers playing center. I think Nesterenko has been a winger in the AHL.
It’s a lost season, I don’t care if Meyers is slightly more likely to score an NHL goal in 23-24 than Tracey is.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Or just grab someone off waivers and save the pick. Terry was a 5th rounder, so you never know. But apparently Cronin likes this guy, so we’ll see.
Seriously, nothing beats free ------>Brenden Lemiuex

It’s a lost season, I don’t care if Meyers is slightly more likely to score an NHL goal in 23-24 than Tracey is.
Agree, I'd rather give Tracey or other prospect development time because there is urgency to win.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
From where are you gathering that he's soft, lack of PIMs? Scouting reports I'm reading are saying the opposite, tenacious and strong on the boards. I'll take a small player who plays hard, over a gentle giant.
He is another Johnny hustle high-effort type, but is no big, physical engaging, hitting machine that creates space for our young guns. If he was like the next coming of Luke Glendening type of player, I would be absolutely down for that. That dude had a 55% faceoff and dished out 2 hits per game and rarely got out hustled... impressive for such a little man...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He is another Johnny hustle high-effort type, but is no big, physical engaging, hitting machine that creates space for our young guns. If he was like the next coming of Luke Glendening type of player, I would be absolutely down for that. That dude had a 55% faceoff and dished out 2 hits per game and rarely got out hustled... impressive for such a little man...

Hopefully calling up big Regenda has an impact in that way. We sent away our two most frequent PK forwards to Edmonton, Meyers should be able to fill some of that void if nothing else. With the way the young forwards are struggling with injuries this year, I'm good with having them all mostly avoid PK time for the rest of this season.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
The 5th might just be the price of filling out a roster the rest of this year. We're low on everything, even SD is gutted. Unlike us, they actually have a chance of making the playoffs, so continually plundering them of their top depth guys doesn't help us win but does screw them over.
I think this is the take I agree with.

From the main boards

"Meyers just didn't fit with bednar's vision for a bottom six forward. He's genuinely one of our best ahl forwards though."

Gives some help to the Gulls, especially after we are probably calling up many of their top players for the rest of the year. If Meyers stays, then maybe we don't have to call up yet another player.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I don't care about that, either. I care about whether Tracey has earned the call up. He hasn't.
No, definitely not. But I’d like to see if there is anything there that he might show at the NHL level before he gets cut loose like Perreault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad