Confirmed Trade: [ANA/CAR] Haydn Fleury for 2022 6th round pick and Jani Hakanpaa

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I thought the Ducks would have targeted Bean. He's the special one. Top-4 upside for sure.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we dangled Rakell or Manson for bean ... and canes didn’t bite.

idk I’m not mad at all, hakanpaa is solid but a ufa... fluery still has potential.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
One thing to consider that I have not heard anyone mention is Hawk made massive strides from last year to this year. Last year he was nowhere near nhl ready and this year he has been one of the few bright spots on the team. Point being, I don't think he is done developing despite his age. His size, strength and penchant for hitting give him a very high ceiling and as the rest of his game has rounded out you could definitely see a late bloomer taking shape.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
One thing to consider that I have not heard anyone mention is Hawk made massive strides from last year to this year. Last year he was nowhere near nhl ready and this year he has been one of the few bright spots on the team. Point being, I don't think he is done developing despite his age. His size, strength and penchant for hitting give him a very high ceiling and as the rest of his game has rounded out you could definitely see a late bloomer taking shape.
You can say the same things for Fleury, except he was great last year and plateaued recently. This will probably end up being a wash, at least that's what I hope anyway.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You can say the same things for Fleury, except he was great last year and plateaued recently. This will probably end up being a wash, at least that's what I hope anyway.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This was one of the best hockey trades today, I believe both teams are going to be happy with their acquisitions, although I have to give the edge to Anaheim since Fleury is RFA after 21-22 season and Hakanpaa is UFA at this seasons end, unless Carolina can work out a new deal with the big Finnish defender.

If Hakanpaa makes it to UFA I could see plenty of teams in a bidding war for Hakanpaa’s services.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't get it for the Ducks. Seems like Hakanpaa is somebody they wanted to re-sign.

Fluery seems like another underwhelming player. 2014 draftee who can't play in the top-4.

Ducks were not guaranteed to re-sign Hawk - they wouldn't as things stand today. They have Manson, Drysdale, and Shat at RHD. I'd much rather have Hawk than Shat, but Shat has 2 more years on his contract and we're stuck with him. Different story if Manson is moved . . . but at this point you don't count on that.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Sounds like a good partner for Bean or Gardiner on the 3rd pairing. Canes wanted a RH stay at home defenseman to put there because teams were taking advantage of Bean-Fleury the past few games.

It makes the expansion draft intriguing for Carolina, as Canes fans guessed Fleury would be the pick. Now they would likely lose Skjei (or else Gardiner) if they wait to sign Hamilton and protect Slavin, Pesce, Bean.

Stop trying to make me like this trade more.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Before today the Ducks didn't have a problem with the Expansion Draft. Now they have a problem. Hope they handle it better than they did with the Vegas draft.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Hakanpaa plays honest game , hits a lot, clears net not afraid to stand up for teammates

I think cane fans will like him

When has he stood up for a teammate? His only fight was instigated by Schenn or he would not have a fight this season
He's big and hits but mostly a gentle giant

Cape

Dec 31, 2019
Finland
Not sure I understand the purpose of this deal. Why would the canes get rid of Fluery before the playoffs only to replace him with an inexperienced D (Hakanpää) or worse consider putting Gards back into the lineup.
Inexperienced? Even if he doesnt have too many NHL games, he does have some 300 pro games in other leagues. He also played for Finland last time they won the world championship. Yeah, not the same competition, but the playoffs specially is about handling the pressure and he has a history of to be able to do so. So, he is everything but inexperienced. And this season shows he belongs to nhl.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Definitely feels like the despres for lovejoy trade a few years ago. Win-win for both clubs.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Can’t believe the Jets didn’t get in on this

Anyone have a description on Hakanpaa?

Huge guy with pretty good skating for his size. Late bloomer.
Physical but not really mean or dirty. Hits and blockes shots a lot. Plays PK.
He used to have some offensive tools at lower levels but at NHL level he's stay at home only. But pretty good at that.

I like Hakanpää but I don't see why the Canes did this...Fleury was promising D-man as well so I don't see this as an upgrade. But add another Finn to my favorite Canes I don't mind

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I don't get it for the Ducks. Seems like Hakanpaa is somebody they wanted to re-sign.

Fluery seems like another underwhelming player. 2014 draftee who can't play in the top-4.
Well. As if this moment. The ducks can still resign him

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
This is likely a good trade for both teams. Carolina has plenty of offensive-minded D's, so Fleury was not going to have a shot there anyway. Hakanpää is exactly the kind of player that Carolina will need come playoff time. He's a big boy who has one job: protect your own goal. And he does it well. Excellent example of a late bloomer player who has identified his weaknesses (skating) and worked on them both by a) improving them via training and b) adapting his playing style. He's not a fighter by definition but he won't back down on that either.
I really like this trade. A small piece, but it definitely fills a need.

Also, here's Hakanpää's heat map. I can't get much out of these because I'm an idiot but hopefully someone else understands better.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ducks were not guaranteed to re-sign Hawk - they wouldn't as things stand today. They have Manson, Drysdale, and Shat at RHD. I'd much rather have Hawk than Shat, but Shat has 2 more years on his contract and we're stuck with him. Different story if Manson is moved . . . but at this point you don't count on that.

I've been eyeing Hakanpaa all year and he seems impressive especially at that price. Wished Tampa went after him but really didn't think he'd be available, sucks that Shattenkirk will cost you someone like that.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
How does this trade look now that couple of weeks have gone and teams have seen their new pieces in action?! Esp. interested how Carolina fans have liked one of my favorite players, Hakanpää.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How does this trade look now that couple of weeks have gone and teams have seen their new pieces in action?! Esp. interested how Carolina fans have liked one of my favorite players, Hakanpää.
Hakanpää has yet to be challenged by the staff as he is still learning the system. He will be challenged over the next week(s) if Skjei is out after a no call boarding.

Hakanpää does have a couple of solid hits in open ice, a goal, and a good drive to the net that pushed the defense out of the way to allow to get a clean shot and goal.

Reactions: SilverBlitzon

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I feel like I can’t trust Anaheim fans for shit after they described Derek Grant as a regular for a NHL in any capacity.

Reading the scouting reports for Hakanpää makes me salty that the Flyers are so married to Hägg. Maybe the former is actually effective in a shutdown role, but early results seem to show that Anaheim made out much better in this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad