Confirmed Trade: [ANA/CAR] Haydn Fleury for 2022 6th round pick and Jani Hakanpaa

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I feel like I can’t trust Anaheim fans for shit after they described Derek Grant as a regular for a NHL in any capacity.

Reading the scouting reports for Hakanpää makes me salty that the Flyers are so married to Hägg. Maybe the former is actually effective in a shutdown role, but early results seem to show that Anaheim made out much better in this trade.

Grant hasn't been the same since returning this year (albeit better of late), Philly screwed him up somehow.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I feel like I can’t trust Anaheim fans for shit after they described Derek Grant as a regular for a NHL in any capacity.

Reading the scouting reports for Hakanpää makes me salty that the Flyers are so married to Hägg. Maybe the former is actually effective in a shutdown role, but early results seem to show that Anaheim made out much better in this trade.

Hakanpaa actually has had some (rather ridiculous) defensive analytics to back up his shutdown reputation this year. Some metrics had him suppressing overall offense/xGA by 11% or more relative to his team when he was on the ice.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hakanpaa actually has had some (rather ridiculous) defensive analytics to back up his shutdown reputation this year. Some metrics had him suppressing overall offense/xGA by 11% or more relative to his team when he was on the ice.
I think the trade will work out for both sides.... hakanpaa gives the hurricanes blue line a little of what it was missing(rough/meanness) + solid defensive/penalty killing .... ducks get a younger asset for an expiring contract that can hopefully turn into a mainstay on our backend

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I've liked Hakanpaa a lot so far, but too early to tell. He's certainly added a lot more toughness and defensive responsibility to the 3rd pair in his first few games compared to how Fleury and Bean were before, but the key tests haven't truly arrived yet.

He is the perfect 3rd pairing defensemen. He plays a simple game with few mistakes and some physicality. Add in that he is capable of jumping up to the second pairing and he is perfect.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I've liked Hakanpaa a lot so far, but too early to tell. He's certainly added a lot more toughness and defensive responsibility to the 3rd pair in his first few games compared to how Fleury and Bean were before, but the key tests haven't truly arrived yet.
Not surprised at all. He was really solid for the Ducks and looks like he is built for the playoffs. He just doesn't match our window. Fleury hasn't been bad at all. I could see him being a solid second pair guy with some more seasoning. Sounds like a win win trade.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I think the trade will work out for both sides.... hakanpaa gives the hurricanes blue line a little of what it was missing(rough/meanness) + solid defensive/penalty killing .... ducks get a younger asset for an expiring contract that can hopefully turn into a mainstay on our backend

Wish @Static and @AngelDuck were here. Reading their previous posts they enjoy defense discussions. I agree the back end with Fleury is a upgrade if we can groom him right. We just have to get the coaching right and GM. The transition this off season will tell us the entire story I hope. Because this isn’t working in Anaheim.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hakanpaa has been a near perfect fit for the Canes so far.

I was not happy to give up on Fleury, and I still believe if both teams were to re-sign the respective player in the offseason, Anaheim wins the deal long-term.

But for the Canes who are looking to make a deep playoff run and were in need of some sandpaper, Hakanpaa really does fit in the lineup perfectly and so far has been as good as advertised. If teams want to play rough (and that has been the strategy the last two years against them in the postseason) the Canes now have the ability to hit back a lot harder.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If the Canes get him to re sign for a couple more years at a reasonable price than it softens the blow of giving up Fleury. He’s a better fit for the third pair. Fleury deserves to be used higher up, he’s still got some room to grow. Anaheim got the better long term player with the higher ceiling. Canes got the better fit for a playoff team right now.

If they let him go and he’s a pure rental I’ll be pretty disappointed in this deal.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If the Canes get him to re sign for a couple more years at a reasonable price than it softens the blow of giving up Fleury. He’s a better fit for the third pair. Fleury deserves to be used higher up, he’s still got some room to grow. Anaheim got the better long term player with the higher ceiling. Canes got the better fit for a playoff team right now.

Right. It was a fair trade by all sides. Also, because both sides likely agreed that Fleury had the higher ceiling, it was Carolina that got the extra 6th round pick, and knowing our FO's shenanigans at the late rounds of the draft table and how they like to swing big on undersized fallers like Nybeck/Pashin, that'll be a lot of fun to keep track of in 2022 along with the 8 other picks that year.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hakanpaa has been a near perfect fit for the Canes so far.

I was not happy to give up on Fleury, and I still believe if both teams were to re-sign the respective player in the offseason, Anaheim wins the deal long-term.

But for the Canes who are looking to make a deep playoff run and were in need of some sandpaper, Hakanpaa really does fit in the lineup perfectly and so far has been as good as advertised. If teams want to play rough (and that has been the strategy the last two years against them in the postseason) the Canes now have the ability to hit back a lot harder.

glad he’s playing well there... hopefully he’ll be able to eat some of the tougher mins for your big name dmen to keep them fresher for a long playoff run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad