Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Antoine Vermette (2 years $1.75M AAV)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is a solid contract vale-wise but I think we're seeing the Ducks trying to put a square shappend block through a triangular hole.
Don't the Ducks need to enhance their second scoring line and shed some salary? Or is the internal salary cap gone at this point?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I wanted to take a crack at Anaheims line up for the upcoming season with Vermette.

LW Cogliano C Getzlaf "C" RW Perry "A"
LW Ritchie C Kesler "A" RW Silfverberg
LW Vermette C Rakell RW Noesen
LW Raymond C Wagner RW Garbutt

LD Lindholm RD Vatanen
LD Fowler RD Bieksa
LD Despres RD Stoner

Goalie's #1 Gibson
#2 Bernier

Scratched List
RW Boll
RD Manson
RD Holzer
C Thompson (+ LTIR) out until March 2017

AHL possible recalls during the season.
LD Theodore San Diego AHL
RD Montour San Diego AHL
RD Guenin San Diego AHL
LD Jeff Schultz San Diego AHL
RW-LW Tropp San Diego AHL
C Sgarbossa San Diego AHL
D-RW Bickel < PTO
G Tokarski San Diego AHL

Move Cogliano down to play with Kesler/Silfverberg.
Move Vermette to center.
Move Rakell to wing and either him (hopefully him) or Ritchie to the top line.
Manson does not sit out healthy for the sake of Bieksa and/or Stoner.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
This is a solid contract vale-wise but I think we're seeing the Ducks trying to put a square shappend block through a triangular hole.
Don't the Ducks need to enhance their second scoring line and shed some salary? Or is the internal salary cap gone at this point?

Shed salary, yes, but top-6 is pretty much set in stone. We're lacking heavily on bottom-6 wingers that aren't rookies or career AHLers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Insignificant.

Vermette, as much as I loved him in Ottawa, isn't a very effective player anymore.

Certainly not a bad deal but it's hardly noteworthy.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I've always kind of hoped for Vermette too. Now I just hope that maybe he can find the parts of his game that he lost again. Boudreau would've been good for that. But alas...Randy.

Can you think of any specific examples there? I can't think of any vets in their 30s who had a sudden resurgence under BB after trending downwards.. Heatley and Bieksa both continued to decline (in Heatleys case he was done). Bourque, Fleishmann, Brewer, Allen, Bryzgalov and Horcoff are a few more guys who didn't do anything special under BB either.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Insignificant.

Vermette, as much as I loved him in Ottawa, isn't a very effective player anymore.

Certainly not a bad deal but it's hardly noteworthy.

It is noteworthy for us who before this signing had Rakell penciled in at 3C with Garbutt and Raymond as wingers.

mytduxfan*

Errrrr yes you will.
At least one of Fowler, Vatanen or Lindholm.
Could be packaged with Stoner to the Leafs for JVR and Holland or Leipsic.
Have to get under that internal cap.

You have no idea what our internal cap is this year. In addition, we don't have to trade with TOR.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
The thing is, when you're against the cap, you don't always get to be picky in trades. But you're lucky that it's Fowler you're trading and not some seriously unwanted piece. Shouldn't be too problematic.

I think I saw some discussion about Detroit's cap situation on the Finnish forums, and they pretty much have to do a ton of moves just to get the maximum benefit from their LTIR guys as it is (I mean sending guys to the AHL, not trades). I doubt they are willing to add any more cap, even if it was possible. And wouldn't a Fowler-Tatar swap open up 1,25 million of cap space at most, depending on the additions? I don't think that's quite enough to get Lindholm signed long term.

Exactly.

It's not that there isn't any interest for Fowler. The problem is also that if Ducks end up moving Fowler, it is pretty much for cap reasons. It means they either have to find piece(s) with significantly lesser cap/salary than Fowler or take back futures (which will make them worse team this upcoming season).

It was reported that the salary budget was 65 millions, and BM said it will rise "little bit". Now they have spent 64,6 millions (Holzer included). So they basically have left the "little bit". And they still have to sign Lindholm and Rakell and add 3-4 forwards on top of that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wanted to take a crack at Anaheims line up for the upcoming season with Vermette.

LW Cogliano C Getzlaf "C" RW Perry "A"
LW Ritchie C Kesler "A" RW Silfverberg
LW Vermette C Rakell RW Noesen
LW Raymond C Wagner RW Garbutt

LD Lindholm RD Vatanen
LD Fowler RD Bieksa
LD Despres RD Stoner

Goalie's #1 Gibson
#2 Bernier

Scratched List
RW Boll
RD Manson
RD Holzer
C Thompson (+ LTIR) out until March 2017

AHL possible recalls during the season.
LD Theodore San Diego AHL
RD Montour San Diego AHL
RD Guenin San Diego AHL
LD Jeff Schultz San Diego AHL
RW-LW Tropp San Diego AHL
C Sgarbossa San Diego AHL
D-RW Bickel < PTO
G Tokarski San Diego AHL

I think it looks something like

Getzlaf Ritchie Perry
Kesler Rakell Silfverberg
Vermette cogliano noesen
Wagner Raymond Garbutt

Lindholm Vatanen
Fowler manson
Bieska despres

I feel like we will still try and trade Fowler or bieska.. which will put Theodore in the top 6.

Lindholm + Vatanen
Despres Theodore
Bieska manson

OR something along that line, I just have a feeling we will see Vatanen plus lindholm for a little bit to see how it works

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Can you think of any specific examples there? I can't think of any vets in their 30s who had a sudden resurgence under BB after trending downwards.. Heatley and Bieksa both continued to decline (in Heatleys case he was done). Bourque, Fleishmann, Brewer, Allen, Bryzgalov and Horcoff are a few more guys who didn't do anything special under BB either.

It`s because most fans hope that their teams 30+ old year players on decline will magically turn things around. When has that ever been the case? Lecavalier? Any other? The percentage is extremely low of these success stories, but people like to be very optimistic, which is not a bad thing in general but not in the case of when you should think realistically.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It`s because most fans hope that their teams 30+ old year players on decline will magically turn things around. When has that ever been the case? Lecavalier? Any other? The percentage is extremely low of these success stories, but people like to be very optimistic, which is not a bad thing in general but not in the case of when you should think realistically.

Selanne was another rare exception. Under Carlyle too which would seem to contradict duckjets opinion that BB has rejuvenated players careers after they've started declining where as Carlyle is less likely to be able to.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Would the Ducks consider a Vatanen + 2nd for the Oilers 1st (lottery protection) + Oesterle?

Likely not, but worth the ask :)

Evergreen

I think it looks something like

Getzlaf Ritchie Perry
Kesler Rakell Silfverberg
Vermette cogliano noesen
Wagner Raymond Garbutt

Lindholm Vatanen
Fowler manson
Bieska despres

I feel like we will still try and trade Fowler or bieska.. which will put Theodore in the top 6.

Lindholm + Vatanen
Despres Theodore
Bieska manson

OR something along that line, I just have a feeling we will see Vatanen plus lindholm for a little bit to see how it works

All of your centers are listed as left wingers.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Okay, considerably less of a fan of this deal. I guess this means we're exposing Cogliano for the Vegas draft.

I believe the NMC changes right before teams submit their protection lists, which means he won't have to be protected.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad