Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Antoine Vermette (2 years $1.75M AAV)

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Solid signing...but you gotta think something is in the works in terms of trade for the Ducks...they still need to sign Lindholm and Rakell, and don't have the money to do it.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Yeah, I don't think Spooner is a good enough return for Fowler personally, but maybe that's just me.

DET is squeezed against the cap right now, but Franzen will be on LTIR once the season starts. It's also likely that Vitale will be too. Then if you consider that a number of the guys currently on roster will probably be placed in the minors i.e. Pulk, Jurco, Ott/Miller, you've freed up ~2-3M in cap space. That makes a deal like:

Fowler <----> Tatar+ very possible, at least from a financial standpoint. DET still end up maxing out the cap, but it leaves them with strong depth both a forward and D. Meanwhile, ANA dumps a little salary and brings in a player to fill out their forward depth.

Pulkkinen is out until probably December after shoulder surgery so he'll be on LTIR as well assuming the Wings aren't at the LTIR cap with Franzen and Vitale.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah, I don't think Spooner is a good enough return for Fowler personally, but maybe that's just me.

DET is squeezed against the cap right now, but Franzen will be on LTIR once the season starts. It's also likely that Vitale will be too. Then if you consider that a number of the guys currently on roster will probably be placed in the minors i.e. Pulk, Jurco, Ott/Miller, you've freed up ~2-3M in cap space. That makes a deal like:

Fowler <----> Tatar+ very possible, at least from a financial standpoint. DET still end up maxing out the cap, but it leaves them with strong depth both a forward and D. Meanwhile, ANA dumps a little salary and brings in a player to fill out their forward depth.

The thing is, when you're against the cap, you don't always get to be picky in trades. But you're lucky that it's Fowler you're trading and not some seriously unwanted piece. Shouldn't be too problematic.

I think I saw some discussion about Detroit's cap situation on the Finnish forums, and they pretty much have to do a ton of moves just to get the maximum benefit from their LTIR guys as it is (I mean sending guys to the AHL, not trades). I doubt they are willing to add any more cap, even if it was possible. And wouldn't a Fowler-Tatar swap open up 1,25 million of cap space at most, depending on the additions? I don't think that's quite enough to get Lindholm signed long term.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Nice relatively cheap signing!

Their bottom 6 clearly needed some help...

Silfverberg-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Rakell
Ritchie-Vermette-Garbutt
Raymond-Wagner-Boll

Injured : Thompson

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
There are hundreds of younger Vermette's in the AHL and in the ECHL available for minimum 1-year contracts.

How many AHL and ECHL players can play in the NHL get 30+ points and win over 55% of faceoffs?

Cogliano-Kesler-Rakell
Ritchie-Vermette-Garbutt
Raymond-Wagner-Boll

Silfverberg isn't playing on the top line he will continue to be playing with Kesler

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Cogliano-Kesler-Rakell
Ritchie-Vermette-Garbutt
Raymond-Wagner-Boll

There's no way the Ducks are done tinkering with their lineup, but those lines probably wouldn't be accurate right now. If we're going by what we have now, it'd probably be:

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Raymond-Vermette-Rakell
Garbutt-Wagner-Boll

Again though, Ducks have like 9 NHL D, so a trade or two is clearly coming, and it will affect the forward core.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Always liked Vermette, always wanted him on the Ducks, and always felt he'd be a great fit. Today, it's for a much lesser role than in years past, but since that's reflected in the money, it's still a very good fit in my mind.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Wait, so ARZ buys him out of his contract that was for 3.75M and are going to have to pay him 2/3 of that over the next 2 years..

When they could have just trade him for future consideration to the Ducks and retained 50% of his contact.

The end up only having to pay him 1.85M instead of the 2+M, and don't have to deal with any cap hits past this upcoming season..

Probably would have gotten a late pick for him since Ducks would rather him Vermette on a 1 year deal at 1.85 than 2 years at 1.75.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Love this signing. Cheering for the my teams favourite trading partner on the East here

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wait, so ARZ buys him out of his contract that was for 3.75M and are going to have to pay him 2/3 of that over the next 2 years..

When they could have just trade him for future consideration to the Ducks and retained 50% of his contact.

The end up only having to pay him 1.85M instead of the 2+M, and don't have to deal with any cap hits past this upcoming season..

Probably would have gotten a late pick for him since Ducks would rather him Vermette on a 1 year deal at 1.85 than 2 years at 1.75.

Or the ducks weren't certain they wanted Vermette but no longer have an option with such a barren list of forward depth

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Or the ducks weren't certain they wanted Vermette but no longer have an option with such a barren list of forward depth

Had this been a June buy-out I could see teams not wanting to trade for him, and wanting to see who they can sign, but he was buyout not long ago.

Since the Ducks actually need forwards signed to expose in the expansion draft, I don't think that's true.

Seeing how the Ducks are likely to just protect 8 skaters vs the 7F and 3D since they have more than 3 good young dmen not sure about that, but its possible, I haven't really looked to the Ducks expansion plans too much, so that's a fair point.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Had this been a June buy-out I could see teams not wanting to trade for him, and wanting to see who they can sign, but he was buyout not long ago.

Seeing how the Ducks are likely to just protect 8 skaters vs the 7F and 3D since they have more than 3 good young dmen not sure about that, but its possible, I haven't really looked to the Ducks expansion plans too much, so that's a fair point.

What does that change? Maybe the ducks wanted a second year so they could expose him in the expansion draft.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Always liked Vermette, always wanted him on the Ducks, and always felt he'd be a great fit. Today, it's for a much lesser role than in years past, but since that's reflected in the money, it's still a very good fit in my mind.

I've always kind of hoped for Vermette too. Now I just hope that maybe he can find the parts of his game that he lost again. Boudreau would've been good for that. But alas...Randy.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Depending on how badly he actually fell off last year, this is a solid contract in a vacuum. I'm not sure is it actually a good contract given Ducks salary/cap situation. At the moment it seems that they're not only exceeding their internal budget, but they are also getting close to the actual cap.

Person or persons need to be moved, and it doesn't bode well for BM contract negotiation wise. Might easily see another case of nickleddy.

Tough to play well on a bottom 5 team, your motivation is very low,bottom line, even if he can just PK and win draws well( which he always has) he's worth the cash

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I wanted to take a crack at Anaheims line up for the upcoming season with Vermette.

LW Cogliano C Getzlaf "C" RW Perry "A"
LW Ritchie C Kesler "A" RW Silfverberg
LW Vermette C Rakell RW Noesen
LW Raymond C Wagner RW Garbutt

LD Lindholm RD Vatanen
LD Fowler RD Bieksa
LD Despres RD Stoner

Goalie's #1 Gibson
#2 Bernier

Scratched List
RW Boll
RD Manson
RD Holzer
C Thompson (+ LTIR) out until March 2017

AHL possible recalls during the season.
LD Theodore San Diego AHL
RD Montour San Diego AHL
RD Guenin San Diego AHL
LD Jeff Schultz San Diego AHL
RW-LW Tropp San Diego AHL
C Sgarbossa San Diego AHL
D-RW Bickel < PTO
G Tokarski San Diego AHL

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
While that distributes the offense better throughout three lines I think we're better served putting Rakell on the top line at LW, Vermette as 3c, and Cogliano on his wing.

Also Manson is not likely to be an active scratch switch out one of Stoner or Bieksa.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wanted to take a crack at Anaheims line up for the upcoming season with Vermette.

LW Cogliano C Getzlaf "C" RW Perry "A"
LW Ritchie C Kesler "A" RW Silfverberg
LW Vermette C Rakell RW Noesen
LW Raymond C Wagner RW Garbutt

LD Lindholm RD Vatanen
LD Fowler RD Bieksa
LD Despres RD Stoner

Goalie's #1 Gibson
#2 Bernier

Scratched List
RW Boll
RD Manson
RD Holzer
C Thompson (+ LTIR) out until March 2017

AHL possible recalls during the season.
LD Theodore San Diego AHL
RD Montour San Diego AHL
RD Guenin San Diego AHL
LD Jeff Schultz San Diego AHL
RW-LW Tropp San Diego AHL
C Sgarbossa San Diego AHL
D-RW Bickel < PTO
G Tokarski San Diego AHL

I'd say propbably Stoner in the press box and Manson on the ice. If it was up to me I'd also switch Vermette and Rakell, then send Raymond back to SD and bring up Kerdiles.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If Kerdiles isn't ready, Raymond is preferable

Why does anyone think Vegas would be interested in expansion drafting old players like this who can be had for next to nothing ?

They're definitely not drafting Vermette if someone like Silfverberg is available. I haven't really considered what this signing does for out protected list and we won't know until our inevitable trades are made but I doubt Vermette would be taken. However. It's worth keeping in mind that Vegas isn't always gonna take the guy who seems to be the BPA from every team. Some picks will be made to get past the cap floor. Some will be made to get veteran leadership. And some will be made simply to stock the AHL team so they can be competitive out of the gate so that our prospects have a solid foundation of talent to play with. All I'm saying is it's not wise to believe that the BPA from each team is gonna be taken. A good chunk of the players taken may not even remain in the Vegas system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad