An "out of the box" fix for "all star" weekend

Jul 10, 2010
Make the all star weekend and ALL festivities a "Top Junior and NCAA showcase" and replace the CHL prospects game with this

You'd have the compete, a chance to view the top 35 or so North American prospects, give them exposure and let teams have easy access to scouting

Plus you'd get to see them goof around in the skills comp while giving all NHL players a much needed break

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Love the extra quotation marks in the thread title.

The rest, not so much.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I propose an intangibles allstar game. Events include the locker room pep talk challenge, talking calmly with the referee to get calls your way, motivational bench speeches, and back checking extravaganza.

The star players can rest while the real warriors of the game can show off their skills and why NHL fans love this game so much.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I propose an intangibles allstar game. Events include the locker room pep talk challenge, talking calmly with the referee to get calls your way, motivational bench speeches, and back checking extravaganza.

The star players can rest while the real warriors of the game can show off their skills and why NHL fans love this game so much.

Would something like this work?

http://www.theonion.com/article/nfl-adds-passing-concussion-protocol-pro-bowl-skil-55155

I haven't seen the NFL's pro bowl ratings this year to see if it helped.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Want to fix the ASG? Find a way to make the players care.

Until you can do that it's always going to be a waste of time.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
So essentially throw away the All-Star Weekend completely without actually "fixing" it.

In the words of the Shark Tank, "For that reason, I'm out."

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
You could expand this beyond North America...get top prospects from around the world. Maybe have the youth of the national teams compete against each other in a tournament. Maybe locate it in a real hockey city, like Toronto or Montreal - or you could even do both! And to get the ratings up, you could schedule the tournament at the end of December, or the start of January.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Make the all star weekend and ALL festivities a "Top Junior and NCAA showcase" and replace the CHL prospects game with this

You'd have the compete, a chance to view the top 35 or so North American prospects, give them exposure and let teams have easy access to scouting

Plus you'd get to see them goof around in the skills comp while giving all NHL players a much needed break

On a scale of 1 to 10, that's not a very good idea.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The winning allstar team gets home ice advantage in the playoffs. That will motivate the players pretty quickly.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Why do people care that the NHL All-Star game isn't competitive? It's a showcase event to get the best players in the league together. Stop pretending like it's something it's not and just enjoy the guys loosening up and having some fun. Or just don't watch it, that's an option too.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Want to fix an All Star Game. Go find another league with an all star game. The NHL got it right with the 3 on 3 tournament.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The winning allstar team gets home ice advantage in the playoffs. That will motivate the players pretty quickly.

Terrible idea. It's terrible in the MLB and it's a terrible idea for the NHL. Why does it have to be an important game? Across all sports the all-star game is just a fun event that is mostly for kids to enjoy. Why do people care if the players are just there having fun? I seriously don't understand the obsession with trying to make it some competitive event where the best players in the world can get hurt playing a meaningless game. You think guys try to avoid the all-star game now? Just imagine if it was a real game, everyone would suddenly be injured.

This whole obsession with making the all-star game competitive is like going to a Globetrotters game and walking away saying "Man, those Generals really mailed it in tonight, I want my money back".

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
2 games. 3 on 3. 2 20 min halfs

Rookies v sophs
Regular game. East v west. None of this divisional crap.

You get one game where the players care just a little bit more, and one to see the best of the best.

And reduce the payout for the winner, or at least cap it. It clearly made no difference in entertainment value.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The casual fans show up for the star players. If you don't have the stars of the NHL playing in the all-star game - the building will be almost empty.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Approximately 5 people watched the Top Prospect game on Monday. It was nationally broadcast. Did OP even watch it ?

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
My fix is to constantly change the format into something new and fun. I am serious, there is no way to make it similar to playoff hockey, so you might as well keep it fun and fresh by resetting every few years.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So essentially throw away the All-Star Weekend completely without actually "fixing" it.

In the words of the Shark Tank, "For that reason, I'm out."

Yeah, this. I'm also out.

To be fair, I'm very interested in an NCAA vs CHL all-star game. Actually really like the idea.

But how is it even remotely related to the NHL all-star game let alone replacing it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad