An offensive dynamo as #1 center? or two way all situations center as the #1?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A revised OP

The new rules on contracts means, going forward, team will have fewer core players with big contracts and they will be taking up more cap space individually. The league is also trending towards two way hockey with most top teams and the last 3 Cup winners devoid of one way players. They may have 1 or 2 in their top 9 but thats about it.

With that in mind, would a team be better off with a Crosby type or a Toews type as their #1 center tying up a good chunk of cap space? By Crosby type I mean an offensive dynamo and by a Toews type I mean a all situations two way center.

My answer was a Toews type. My thinking was having your top paid center simultaneously your #1 offensive center and #1 defensive center puts you in a little better position and gives you roster flexibility behind them (particularly at forward). Thats doesn't mean Toews is better than Crosby or that you can't win with a Crosby type center.

Last edited:

Clock

May 13, 2006
Tough to answer because I would think much of that would depend on the makeup of the rest of the team.

At this stage, I think I'd still rather have a Crosby for this team just to get that level of raw offensive talent, but... yeah, that's a tough one.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tough to answer because I would think much of that would depend on the makeup of the rest of the team.

At this stage, I think I'd still rather have a Crosby for this team just to get that level of raw offensive talent, but... yeah, that's a tough one.

Its definitely a tough one. And you're also correct the makeup of the team would impact things as well.

I wasn't really asking in relation to the Sabres though. More in a general sense which type of player is the better one to tie up a big money in. The new contract rules, as we've already seen, are starting to increase the percentage of cap space top players will be taking up. That was the deciding factor for me. I'd rather have the money tied up in a player that can help you win in every area of the game. More bang for the buck if you will. Thats not to say I wouldn't want a Crosby. :laugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If choosing for the Sabres right now, give me Crosby. We could very well have our Towes/Bergeron in SR.

If I was given an expansion team and told that I had the choice between Toews or Crosby, I take Toews.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
If you start from zero and need to pick one guy to start building around I would pick Toews. If you already have Mikhail Grigorenko on your team outperforming Toews then getting Crosby makes a lot more sense.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Toews but by a small margin and not because INTENGIBULS. I like his game and it seems like he really does compete and contribute on all areas on the ice. HOWEVER; in our situation, Crosby. I say this because we have centers in Greg and Samson. we need the "elite best player" center to really be a big producer for us.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If I were starting a team, the 1st forward selected would be Toews.

Who is going to score more? Crosby

Who is going to win more? Toews.

You take two identical lineups and swap out Crosby/Toews over an entire season, I would say team Toews gets more wins. He's just a natural leader and plays in every and all situations.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If you were to swap out Crosby and Toews on their respective teams, my guess is that Chicago and Pittsburgh stay about the same in terms of standings and wins. To me, that says they're fairly close in terms of importance to their team and overall effectiveness. Crosby lacks Toews defensive game, and Toews lacks Crosby's offensive capabilities. The difference between them is pretty small though, so it's not like you can make a bad call.

That said, I'd lean towards Crosby just because of his game-breaking ability. Crosby's capable of just taking over games and winning them nearly on his own. Toews is too, but I think Crosby does it more regularly.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Most skilled player is Crosby but skill doesn't always win you championships.

A friend of mine (current assistant coach in the NHL) told me about 2 years back that he would pick Toews as the best player in the NHL FWIW.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is the first time I've ever whole heartedly agreed with you..

Pittsburghs just built poorly compared to Chicago. Crosby is the easy choice.

I agree and thats sort of what I was trying to incorporate in my OP. I was using Crosby and Toews as examples of the two kinds of #1 centers in the league. Crosby is the best of the offensive dynamo types and Toews is the best of the all situations types. One could argue Crosby is so good offensively that he is better than Toews or the best center period. That wasn't really my argument.

My question wasn't so much who is better of the two (though that plays into it) as much as it was about which is the better TYPE of the two to have as your #1 center and build a successful team around. This is with incorporating the way NHL contracts are restricted now and how the game is changing towards more and more two way players. Not many one way players on the Cup winners these days.

With the above in mind I picked a Toews type but not by a lot. My reasoning was with your top paid center taking up more cap space these days. I think having one thats simultaneously your top scoring center and top checking center starts you off in a better position. That said I can see the other argument that if you have the offensive dynamo you can add the defensive centers behind them and not need them to provide as much offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad