Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
These guys have the competitive fire in their bellies. They'd rather coach than sit around on the dole. A mere handful of openings in the hockey world's most exclusive club come up every year...unless they've got a better offer, they'd all jump at the chance to coach here.

Or they could be like Barry Trotz, the local guy who decided to not coach mere minutes from his dad and waited for a better opportunity to come around.

I wouldn't doubt some of them would coach here if absolutely nothing came up but this league heavily recycles coaches and the best ones will have their pick of jobs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or they could be like Barry Trotz, the local guy who decided to not coach mere minutes from his dad and waited for a better opportunity to come around.

I wouldn't doubt some of them would coach here if absolutely nothing came up but this league heavily recycles coaches and the best ones will have their pick of jobs.

I mean he didn't want to coach period anymore and wanted a management job. He held out for the role he wanted.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don't care who we get as long as he's a good coach. I'm surprised by how many don't want Arniel, i would be willing to give him a short contract.
People associate him with Bones and expect he would coach that same way. I don't see him blowing up the playbook, it would look bad if he was promoted and in his first year the team took a step backwards because the players are learning a new system.

People just don't want more of the same. Bones' coaching style was effective, but left a lot to be desired. Offense dried up and our defensive core crumpled when put up against a legit contender's offense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I mean he didn't want to coach period anymore and wanted a management job. He held out for the role he wanted.

He still didn't jump at the opportunity to get back in the league right away. I think the report was we were looking at Montgomery too, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one who was waiting for the right fit rather than the first head coaching job that came around.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Need to draft and develop coaches to apparently because the good ones will never sign here.
All these “Good ones” have been recently fired because they were unsuccessful. I don’t want a name in Winnipeg. I want someone with an executable plan who is in step with the GM and a draft and develop team. Play our youth. We don’t have to be the best version of ourselves in October and November if it’s allows us to be the our best in May.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
All these “Good ones” have been recently fired because they were unsuccessful. I don’t want a name in Winnipeg. I want someone with an executable plan who is in step with the GM and a draft and develop team. Play our youth. We don’t have to be the best version of ourselves in October and November if it’s allows us to be the our best in May.
If I had any photoshop skills at all I would put Chevy and Chipman’s face in here, “The best I can do is another alumni coach”

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As with FA's and trade restrictions it will come down to the best coaches available who are willing to move their families to a small market in the middle of the prairies. Like it or not, that impacts the jets on all these types of decisions. Its a factor, albeit not the only factor of course, a good team helps.

And that is why Jets should look at young up and comers who are not yet established big names. Or try to find one who has been overlooked/underestimated, like possibly Nelson.

Just handing it to Arniel because he is willing would be a mistake, though I would try to be open to seeing what he could do.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we all better ne prepared to be disappointed, the plan looks like Bones was going to be here for 2 years and Arniel would take over, is that still the plan? I guess we will find out when all the other top fight coaches go elsewhere.

Coaches are extremely hard to evaluate. Leafs keep hiring the obvious next greatest coach of all time and then firing him after 2-3 seasons. All the top rated coaches end up getting fired multiple times.

Hire a really smart guy with enough self-awareness to recognize his own faults and act accordingly. :laugh: A young guy with fire-in-the-belly and hockey knowledge up the wahzoo, plus real toughness and a personality the players would go through a wall for.

Maybe they could create such a guy with AI. :laugh:

I will be upset if it's arneil as well but naming lowry as interim instead of hiring a coach mid season was 100% the correct thing to do

I may or may not have been the correct thing to do but turning the reigns over to an assistant to finish a season is certainly a common enough thing. Didn't fix anything. Didn't break anything that wasn't already broken.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Doesn't matter who coaches if there's no personnel changes...

Maurice looks like Scotty Bowman now - but he's still playing two scoring, one checking and one plug fourth line... his man D coverage is still confusing... Forsling is not a legit first pairing...

But Tkachuk, Barkov and Bennett all have that playoff fire - Jets players have to find that, no coach can make that happen especially when Scheif is now 31

Arniel is fine with me but I want Chevy to offer whatever it takes to get Buchnevich from the Blues... some kind of move like that - top six needs heart surgery

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I will be upset if it's arneil as well but naming lowry as interim instead of hiring a coach mid season was 100% the correct thing to do
The players on the team knew management gave up on them in November when they made Lowry head coach. It was a terrible decision. That was still the 2nd worst coaching decision after keeping a coach who quit in the offseason.

Reactions: kenobiwan

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The players on the team knew management gave up on them in November when they made Lowry head coach. It was a terrible decision. That was still the 2nd worst coaching decision after keeping a coach who quit in the offseason.
yeah, it totally would have been better to hire a coach mid season instead of waiting until the off season when far more coaches become available and you have far more time to make the decision...

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
yeah, it totally would have been better to hire a coach mid season instead of waiting until the off season when far more coaches become available and you have far more time to make the decision...
Yeah, settling on an unqualified head coach was a great use of a cap team and did wonders for the team culture. It was classy watching a team underperform and the players lashing out in the media. But at least the Jets got a lot of national coverage of what a joke the franchise had become for players to be a part of.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, settling on an unqualified head coach was a great use of a cap team and did wonders for the team culture. It was classy watching a team underperform and the players lashing out in the media. But at least the Jets got a lot of national coverage of what a joke the franchise had become for players to be a part of
holy shit you are acting like there were so many options out there, it was either select from the very very small list of coaches available or play it out with lowry and wait until more become available later...

who do you think we should have hired? because the person people cried that we didn't hire is currently available this season and I don't think I heard one mention of his name this past week...

and just people lowry wasn't a good option doesn't mean we should have just rushed into a different option that would have been worse

Last edited:
Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That season was pretty unfair to Lowry... they had already checked out on Maurice and he was part of that staff - what exactly was he going to change halfway through

If anything they should have given him another year

Reactions: LowLefty

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
holy shit you are acting like there were so many options out there, it was either select from the very very small list of coaches available or play it out with lowry and wait until more become available later...

who do you think we should have hired? because the person people cried that we didn't hire is currently available this season and I don't think I heard one mention of his name this past week...

and just people lowry wasn't a good option doesn't mean we should have just rushed into a different option that would have been worse
You never know who was available. You just made a fantasy world where the choices are Lowry or worse. I don't need to defend your straw man.

You don't know what was available and neither do I. That's the job of the GM. Coaches get fired mid season all the time many times with success with a new coach. But suddenly if the Jets lose a coach mid season it impossible to find a decent replacement. Ok. You do you.

You can't just punt a season in November in a season where the Jets should have been competitive. You can't just punt a season in November when you are in the prime of so many players. Lowry was a punt and everyone in the organization knew it.

That was a season of complete apathy from the players and in turn the fans because the organization quit on them all. Fans got tired of going to the games and caring more than the guys on the ice. Players across the league got to hear how truly dysfunctional this organization had become straight from the horse's mouth.... and a few others. They could have brought in any other coach from outside the organization just to jingle keys and cause a distraction. Anything would have been better than a coach who was under qualified and everyone on the team knew it.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You never know who was available. You just made a fantasy world where the choices are Lowry or worse. I don't need to defend your straw man.

You don't know what was available and neither do I. That's the job of the GM. Coaches get fired mid season all the time many times with success with a new coach. But suddenly if the Jets lose a coach mid season it impossible to find a decent replacement. Ok. You do you.

You can't just punt a season in November in a season where the Jets should have been competitive. You can't just punt a season in November when you are in the prime of so many players. Lowry was a punt and everyone in the organization knew it.

That was a season of complete apathy from the players and in turn the fans because the organization quit on them all. Fans got tired of going to the games and caring more than the guys on the ice. Players across the league got to hear how truly dysfunctional this organization had become straight from the horse's mouth.... and a few others. They could have brought in any other coach from outside the organization just to jingle keys and cause a distraction. Anything would have been better than a coach who was under qualified and everyone on the team knew it.
I didn't make up a fantasy world at all lol. majority of the best coaches are employed during the season.. very rarely can you find a good coach sitting on the couch, seeing as you couldn't even name 1 coach it seems to me like you have no actual answer to who we could have got

you say it's the gm's job to find the coach, maybe he looked at all the available options and figured it was best to wait until the off season to see if better options became available, just look at all the options that were available after the season was over, trotz, monty, cassidy, deboer

it wasn't even a normal coaching change either, maurice quit gave no time to find a replacement either

you keep saying they punted the season... as if hiring a coach they didn't like would have been a better option

Reactions: surixon

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Must be nice to be the individual who gets to decide what privileges people are entitled to

Convicted pedophiles get second chances for f***s sake. Q may have had poor judgement, but he didn't commit a crime
Poor analogy. Quenville would get plenty of second chances. He could coach in Europe, in the minors, probably in juniors as well. A pedophile would likely not get a second chance at certain jobs - like those involving young people - if that was their previous job prior to being caught. They would however get plenty of second chances in jobs that didn't involve being around minors.

If Quenville really wanted to he could still be making a few hundred thousand a year in the options available to him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Doesn't matter who coaches if there's no personnel changes...

Maurice looks like Scotty Bowman now - but he's still playing two scoring, one checking and one plug fourth line... his man D coverage is still confusing... Forsling is not a legit first pairing...

But Tkachuk, Barkov and Bennett all have that playoff fire - Jets players have to find that, no coach can make that happen especially when Scheif is now 31

Arniel is fine with me but I want Chevy to offer whatever it takes to get Buchnevich from the Blues... some kind of move like that - top six needs heart surgery

It's funny. Tkachuk had no playoff fire in Calgary and Barkov was a playoff no show for years. I think it's just as simple as Maurice has a roster of player types perfect for his system.

Buchnevich's so called playoff fire didn't get the Blues to the playoffs the last two years. He has a whopping 1 goal in 20 playoff games, that is Ehlers bad.

Adding him won't do much of anything without an actual scheme that gets the most of our top 6.

Playoff fire is largely a myth imo. Get the team to play to its strengths, that is the key imo.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's funny. Tkachuk had no playoff fire in Calgary and Barkov was a playoff no show for years. I think it's just as simple as Maurice has a roster of player types perfect for his system.

Buchnevich's so called playoff fire didn't get the Blues to the playoffs the last two years and only out of the first round once the last 5 years.

Adding him won't do much of anything without an actual scheme that gets the most of our top 6.

Playoff fire is largely a myth imo. Get the team to play to its strengths, that is the key imo.
Tkachuk had more playoff fire than us when he was in cowtown

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That season was pretty unfair to Lowry... they had already checked out on Maurice and he was part of that staff - what exactly was he going to change halfway through

If anything they should have given him another year
Yeah, they had checked out long before Maurice quite - and they checked out on Lowry too.
When the coach quits, there's usually no plan to fill in for him - so the assistant get it.
Not ideal but in the grand scheme of things, I think the org knew at that point that there were issues other than a departed coach.
Finding the right coach to deal with that was on the top of the list but would take some time - so they let the season slide.
So Lowry was the disposable coach - and they'd see what was available in the off season.
I have no issue with that plan other than Lowry getting left holding the bag -

What was also interesting is that Lowry did try to get the guys going with a simple plan that included a lot of hard work and little more - no surprise the "checked out" team didn't support that plan. I'd be surprised if any coach would be interested in stepping into that mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad