an honest challange

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I am of the mindset to close this thread as it will become a vicious merry-go-round.

One thing I have learned about deadline day since Twitter came along is the best info out there comes from the Toronto media and a couple of Montreal sources. Keep in mind everyone in hockey has TSN on in their war rooms.

I will take Chia at his word that he was working on something major and needed to clear space and waived Cunningham and that deal fell apart.

The beat reporters tend to get their rumor information from third party sources like agents.

Agents have definitely used the media before to try to force a trade. But they arent in a position tovleak who we want back. Trying to guess who we want and at what price never gets leaked as far as ive ever seen.

If someone says eriksson and seidenberg are in play... i said that myself without any sources for my info. Common sense was easy to see that other gm would ask and chiarelli sure wouldnt answer thatthey are untouchable.

I said seguin was very possibly on his way out weeks before his trade but i had no insider info and i had no idea he might go to dallas or we might get eriksson back.

All i needed was my common sense even though i was called an idiot by everyone that responded.

We all know stewart was in play... yandle was... vermette was. But stewart went to a team no one rumored. I dont remember anyone saying rangerd were in on yandle either.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Hate to answer a question with a question or questions but I must:

What is a "challange?"

Is it a French challenge? And how do you pronouce that? Accent on the second syllable I'm guessing.

On an unrelated note, if you have a sore throat, take a "lozange", and if someone gave you that sore throat, seek "revange."

OK, Just having fun...

Last edited:

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
You certainly made your point. The only things we heard PRIOR to a bruin deal was that they were in on something.

What I'd like to know is what happened to the deal on Saturday night after the game?

I wonder if BC bruin would weigh in and let us in on it?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Trades are also a two way street.

Many seen to overlook that.

Regardless of NMC and NTC's GM's still ask some players where they would rather go if there is more than one club offering the same return.

For instance, Devils had a better offer on the table for Zid but Zid preferred Detroit, I think the better offer was from Boston. (I know Zid waived his NTC but just saying)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You certainly made your point. The only things we heard PRIOR to a bruin deal was that they were in on something.

What I'd like to know is what happened to the deal on Saturday night after the game?

I wonder if BC bruin would weigh in and let us in on it?

It was the Connolly move. It was contingent on Tampa landing Coburn.

iiBruins17*

I could've swore I saw something about us being interested in Connolly last summer

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Can anyone show me even 1 single insider rumor leaked to us or twitter that chiarelli was after connolly or talbot or that cunningham was going on waivers or caron was bout to ve dealt... or any of it?

I guess we might find a rumor we were offering a draft pick :)

Seriously people... how can we continue to believe we know all of chiarellis thoughts when NOTHING ever gets leaked?

Its the same every year

But im ready for someone to show me im wrong

Insiders are read throughout North America, they certainly are not going to waste their time discussing 4th line players. That should be the local beat journalists, but in Boston they are nothing more than JJ's apparatchiks.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Agents have definitely used the media before to try to force a trade.

You'd be surprised to find out how many agents actually work out the trades.

Recent most notable one: Vancouver Canucks didn't trade Luongo. His agent, Pat Brisson, worked out that trade with Florida and Vancouver accepted.

Not sure how widely known that is, someone else can google it if they want.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Recent most notable one: Vancouver Canucks didn't trade Luongo. His agent, Pat Brisson, worked out that trade with Florida and Vancouver accepted.

hope you know I love your participation here dom and I definitely believe you are at least 100 times more inside than 99% of the rabble here. love kirk too. I cant name all the guys here who ive enjoyed their 'inside info' because I know id forget at least 1 or 2. I definitely have felt my fandom of the team has been upgraded a lot from having people like you share what you know here.

I just get frustrated at the critism that gets directed against the team and how some members of this board are willing to use these rumors as fuel for their arguments.

but yeah, I personally wouldn't be too shocked to find out that agents are a huge source of rumors for many media people because ive seen it happening boldly right on talk radio at times and definitely read it in news paper articles how agents get named as sources.

I think an agent was the source of the krug talking to the khl rumor that popped up this past summer. I remember a couple years ago that a rumor came out that boston had given tim Thomas agent permission to find a trade for his client. I know when martin erat wasn't working out in Washington that it was his agent that went to the media and started requesting a trade.

some agents have more tact and probably leak their agenda more subtle but theres a lot of agents over the years that are a bull in a china shop.

to me though, all the examples I can find of agents being involved... just speak towards their own client wanting out. there might be a couple cases that an agent would say my client will only accept a trade to this 1/2 locations and actually try to force a gm's hand into trading the player exactly where the player wants. and in those cases, I don't think the agent has any say at all what the return is.

for example suppose tomas vanek wants to get traded from islanders and we all think he wants to end up in Minnesota. his agent might put it out there to a team like montreal that vanek wont resign if dealt there as a rental. he might tell the islanders vanek wont resign if they keep him. he might enforce vanek's no trade protection and limit the number of teams vanek will agree to move too... but ultimately the agent cant force islanders to deal vanek to Minnesota for a fourth round pick.

vanek can still end up surprising everyone when he moves to montreal and some prospect that no one realized was up for grabs like colberg could still end up being the return.

the fact that vanek is going to be moved... that's a legit rumor supplied by an agent and given to the media. but vanek moving specifically to montreal for a return of colberg and a second or whatever the deal was, is not rumored to us from the agent or the gm's involved.

most the rumors were that the islanders wanted a first and a prospect or young player in return for vanek, but its pretty easy for even a non-insider to guess that the islanders wanted a first. most teams want a first when they are dealing a good ufa. im sure Edmonton wanted a first for petry. I bet buffalo wanted a first for stewart. it just doesn't feel like it requires a lot of inside info for some media guy to say that phoenix wanted a first for vermette.

anyhow im late for work... but I really don't want this to come across as if im attacking our own insiders here. I mostly just want to open peoples eyes that inside rumors are fun and are to be enjoyed but aren't always supposed to be treated as gospel to use to attack the team

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You know, a lot of stuff gets heard and 99% of it can't be let out for obvious reasons.

From just this morning

Dominic Tiano @dominictiano · 16m 16 minutes ago
Carl Soderberg news? Twitter tonight. Be here.

Sean Smith ‏@sgsmith16 15m15 minutes ago
@dominictiano teaser

Andrea Gail ‏@GailHurd 4m4 minutes ago
@sgsmith16 @dominictiano he is a tease. I'm his GF & he won't even tell me!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You know, a lot of stuff gets heard and 99% of it can't be let out for obvious reasons.

From just this morning

@dominictiano teaser

I look forward to the news, Dom!!

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I find the vast majority of the trade rumors, the out of the box speculation by fans and the supposed "leaks" from insiders somewhat interesting, but generally not worth a dime.

For all of the rumors that don't pan out, there's hundreds of legit discussions about trades that we never have and never will hear about. When Connolly went to the B's, a GM in the league was shocked and asked "Connolly was on the block????"

To a large extent, we hear what others want us to hear. As someone mentioned, agents are sometimes the ones floating the initial rumors. They sometimes take a life of their own after that.

What's legit, what's not, I think you have to really step back and not get too worked up about any of what you hear. This year, as is the case every year, fans of ALL teams got a bit crazed chasing rumor after rumor. It becomes humorous after a while.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Can anyone show me even 1 single insider rumor leaked to us or twitter that chiarelli was after connolly or talbot or that cunningham was going on waivers or caron was bout to ve dealt... or any of it?

I guess we might find a rumor we were offering a draft pick :)

Seriously people... how can we continue to believe we know all of chiarellis thoughts when NOTHING ever gets leaked?

Its the same every year

But im ready for someone to show me im wrong

so basically you are saying that since the 'rumored' rumors didn't materialize, they must not have been true, and since the trades that did happen weren't a part of the 'rumor mill', then therefore all rumors are inherently false?

did I get that right?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

So true, and heard the same thing with the Clarkson deal, his agent proposed the deal and the two teams accepted, guess that is why agents get the big bucks.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I have no idea what your point is.

I think his point is that you always see these sorts of arguments:

"He tried to get X, but as usual didn't close the deal".

"He was going to give up that? He's a moron."

and, on the whole, they are baseless. We get very little if anything of the true picture. Criticizing Chia on the end game is fair, but we often see criticism of specific moves without know any of the facts. Hell, even on the end game we are privy to almost nothing.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

From just this morning

@dominictiano teaser

You are the man!

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site

From just this morning

@dominictiano teaser

Alright, so my plans for the night are now cancelled until there's some Soderberg news on twitter... until then I'l be hoping it's a signing and not an injury announcement.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
So, on an internet fan board people are not supposed to bat possibilities and rumours around? Never going to happen. It's why many people come here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So, on an internet fan board people are not supposed to bat possibilities and rumours around? Never going to happen. It's why many people come here.

Yeah, I never understand why some folks want to stymie a discussion if it interests people. I also laugh at the OP's premise because nearly all the deals that happened at the deadline were not reported, so saying none of the B's deals were rumored is meaningless.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

From just this morning

@dominictiano teaser

Hope its 3 years at $2.75 per :D

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Sportsnet today gave Chiarelli a failing grade.He ranked 19th among GMs .His moves got a C and they said what he did was not gonna cut it.
So I say what difference does it make if there was a leak or not?He still failed to fix things.Defence full of holes and no scoring.Call it negative but it not lying.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
so basically you are saying that since the 'rumored' rumors didn't materialize, they must not have been true, and since the trades that did happen weren't a part of the 'rumor mill', then therefore all rumors are inherently false?

did I get that right?

Hope not. Thanks to cryptic leaks by guys like Dom we kinda have a feel for what is going on behind the scenes. For example we know thanks to leaks that Chia was interested in Stewart, but just because he didn't get him doesn't make these rumors not true.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yeah, I never understand why some folks want to stymie a discussion if it interests people. I also laugh at the OP's premise because nearly all the deals that happened at the deadline were not reported, so saying none of the B's deals were rumored is meaningless.

I think many of us who have been around here a long time would get a laugh at the irony. Back in the day the OP was constantly making trade proposals, which is cool, but just a little ironic based on this thread.

Suggesting a fan web site won't have all the elements of fandemonium is just not based in realism. Besides, information delivery has changed enough to even catch the principals unaware. For example TSN broke the Stewart to Minny trade, to Stewart himself!

Last edited:

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
The negative nancies here cry on and on how chiarelli was after this bad trade or that bad trade. Its tossed out as gospel to fuel the agenda. But my point is that these people are transparent. How can they know what we were offering for yandle or vermette or anyone? How can they even claim toknow we wanted those people?

We see proof here who chiarelli wanted and not a single one of us had any clue at all. I didnt once guess myself we would trade for any of these guys

Thats reality...chiarelli doesnt leak his business... i like rumors as much as anyone but the best rumor is never anymore accurate than an educated guess when it comes to chiarelli because the guy keeps everything from us until the trade is finalized

I believe that Connelly and Talbot were fall back options if he could not land anyone better. Last season Chiarelli admitted in his press conference that he was working out a bigger trade and couldn't get it done. I suspect this year was the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad