An experiment for this season

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
You know how the Devils home score is notorious for undercounting shots? Why don't a few of us track stats live while we watch the games and see how much we differ from the Devils home scorer and even each other

Who is in?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You know how the Devils home score is notorious for undercounting shots? Why don't a few of us track stats live while we watch the games and see how much we differ from the Devils home scorer and even each other

Who is in?

I would do this for a game...Not the whole season though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
10 is a lot...I think I would do it though? I just fear it would make me watch the game different from the way I usually do? Are you thinking shots for and against?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's a shame, my work schedule actually picks up in the fall/winter... otherwise this is something that I'd actually do :laugh:

For anyone that does consider this, if you don't already have GCL, it'd be more than worth it to drop the $5/month on NHL Vault.

This would be impossible to do live, and despite there being a 24-48 hour delay on games, you'd have access to all the games all season long.

Edit:
And for comparison/reference sake, you can go here: http://www.nicetimeonice.com/
Under Game Links, there is a Play-by-Play link that will tell you what the official score keeper recorded and when.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Would this experiment only work if someone committed to counting shots for all 82 games? The point is that the definition of a shot is subjective and the Devils home counter tends to be more conservative than the counters at other arena.

Or is the point to get as many people counting whatever games as possible, not to get an accurate answer, but just to show that most people would count more shots than is official?

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Would this experiment only work if someone committed to counting shots for all 82 games? The point is that the definition of a shot is subjective and the Devils home counter tends to be more conservative than the counters at other arena.

Or is the point to get as many people counting whatever games as possible, not to get an accurate answer, but just to show that most people would count more shots than is official?

For best results we'd probably would need all home games by 5 people I guess. Either way it would be an interesting even at a small sample size to see how much they under count

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I should ask my wife...she actually kept stats for the hockey team when we were in school... time, shots, shifts and minutes that kind of stuff. I think we still have some old hand written NCAA stat books in the house somewhere.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
wow reminds me of baseball games and keeping stats. As someone else suggested, maybe starting now and doing last season is the way to go. I have gamecenter live and i would be willing to rewatch a game maybe and count the shots (especially if its a good jagr producing game!)

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

To kick it off you should have everyone count shots for 1 game to show the disparity. Then if you feel it's still worth the effort, rotate the job and keep track of what the original variance was so you have a feel for who counts high/low as you compare with the official stat.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
wow reminds me of baseball games and keeping stats. As someone else suggested, maybe starting now and doing last season is the way to go. I have gamecenter live and i would be willing to rewatch a game maybe and count the shots (especially if its a good jagr producing game!)

I guess we could do that its just idk how many have gamecenter to access those old games and asking people to pay 5 bucks to get it seems like it would get less people to do it.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Shots on goal is very tough to determine, i was just thinking.

If a shot would be going wide of the goal and the goalie makes the save or blocks it, it shouldn't be counted as a shot. I wonder how many of these questionable shots are happening in a game. And i wonder how easy it will be to count these or to determine if it will or will not be a shot.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What's even hard is a loose puck in the crease that gets banged at 3 or 4times

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember an article from before the 2004-05 lockout where Vancouver's goalies were complaining about their hometown scorekeeper for being so stingy with shot totals among other stats. I vaguely recall one anonymous source saying that certain scorekeepers were just lazy in that any time you count a shot on goal, you also have to assign a shooter. And some scorekeepers weren't as diligent when it came to the goal mouth scrambles.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
yeah a shot is so subjective.. maybe we have one of the laziest or oldest score keepers in the league. It would be a lot of work if you recorded every single possible shot, you would have to watch the replays more often.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
like a previous poster said though, there are times when a player "shoots" the puck 3-5 times from point blank range but only gets credit for one shot. Also how can you really tell when a shot is going wide or not, especially long distance shots? Sometimes there could be 5 or more shots in 30 seconds and how can you truly tell if a shot would be going wide when the goalie blocks it?

Are they calling things on the fly or going back and watching the replays, or just going back to watch the replays rarely.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
shots on goal is not subjective at all really. If the shot would have gone in the net if not for a save by the goalie - you count it.

Blocks, deflections, shots wide, crossbars, posts. None of those count.

I bet if 10 of us did the same game we would have as much as 20% difference in our totals.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Sounds easy but its not. You need different views from different camera angles to be sure.

watch at 32 seconds, Cammalleri shoots into the Capitals goalie's glove
was that puck going wide of the net? maybe an overhead shot would show buts its close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad