GDT: Amerks/Cyclones PLAYOFF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Probably not. He‘s pretty bad defensively.

That's being polite. :D

I do wonder if running Schmelzer into Luukkonen was the last straw? He had a snit a game or two before that too that put them down a man. He's still thin as a rail and does it's not even how he plays defensively that is the biggest worry for me (which at his size is a problem) but how he handles the puck anywhere but in the offensive zone on the PP. He makes Ristolainen-level puckhandling mistakes and doesn't have the mass to at least get in someone's way.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wonder if Adams views him as part of their RD depth for next season?

The Sabres dressed 12 different D this season and Laaksonen didn't get a single game when guys like Prow and Wolanin got games

Not a rumor-starter guy, but Laaksonen, a non-Adams pick, may not be long in the org, despite the hilarious RD depth atm:

Henri Jokiharju
Casey Fitzgerald
Oskari Laaksonen
Albert Lyckasen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Also, I got the answer from another before this (same answer)

Thanks for keeping on them about this. He went from PP1 point man and an all-star last year to widely exposed for how terrible he is in his own zone this year. Any time I see someone penciling him into a lineup, I know they haven't seen an Amerk game with him in it. Same with the "pump and dump" idea from a few months ago.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not a rumor-starter guy, but Laaksonen, a non-Adams pick, may not be long in the org, despite the hilarious RD depth atm:

Henri Jokiharju
Casey Fitzgerald
Oskari Laaksonen
Albert Lyckasen
Laaksonen is not a good 5v5 AHL dman. He is as bad 5v5 as he is good on the PP. Its doesn’t take a conspiracy theory to see why he’s not in favor.

Plus our right side depth is Dahlin/Joker/Samuelsson/Bryson/Fitzgerald. Don’t get hung up on handed-ness. It would be crazy to promote or favor anyone simple because of it.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's being polite. :D

I do wonder if running Schmelzer into Luukkonen was the last straw? He had a snit a game or two before that too that put them down a man. He's still thin as a rail and does it's not even how he plays defensively that is the biggest worry for me (which at his size is a problem) but how he handles the puck anywhere but in the offensive zone on the PP. He makes Ristolainen-level puckhandling mistakes and doesn't have the mass to at least get in someone's way.
I was wondering this as well. He played it terribly and left UPL exposed.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Laaaksonen is not a good 5v5 AHL dman. He is as bad 5v5 as he is good on the PP. Its doesn’t take a conspiracy theory to see why he’s not in favor.

Plus our right side depth is Dahlin/Joker/Samuelsson/Bryson/Fitzgerald. Don’t get hung up on handed-ness. It would be crazy to promote or favor anyone simple because of it.
Oh, I'm big time on Dahlin at RD. Fixes everything, and he can do it.

My pointing out on RD, for me, is more focused on ufa depth acquistions, and later rounds of the 22 draft.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for keeping on them about this. He went from PP1 point man and an all-star last year to widely exposed for how terrible he is in his own zone this year. Any time I see someone penciling him into a lineup, I know they haven't seen an Amerk game with him in it. Same with the "pump and dump" idea from a few months ago.

Np. Like I said, he's a notable prospect.

Anyone who watches knows how bad he is 5v5, but so is most of the team, and with them running 7D the past 2 games, it's seriously telling how much faith they have in him that he can't crack that...

Reactions: Jacob582

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Oh, I'm big time on Dahlin at RD. Fixes everything, and he can do it.

My pointing out on RD, for me, is more focused on ufa depth acquistions, and later rounds of the 22 draft.
I’m with you on the draft not worried as much about UFA acquisitions. We have more than enough flexibility to not worry about specific handed-ness in free agency.

Np. Like I said, he's a notable prospect.

Anyone who watches knows how bad he is 5v5, but so is most of the team, and with them running 7D the past 2 games, it's seriously telling how much faith they have in him that he can't crack that...
I’d also add how easily he gets knocked around is probably another factor. He would have been eaten alive against Belleville.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Guys that get the "they are a gamer" label come in a few different flavors, too.

You have the mentally tough guys that thrive in big pressure moments and you have the guys that don't work that hard in practice because they care more about the game.

I don’t know your exact context here honestly, but I want to share that this entire situation with AI was misconstrued. I like sharing it and share it somewhat often because I think AI gets a bad rap undeservingly because of it.

The reason AI was dismissing practices was because he his best friend was shot and killed around the time of that press conference. He was struggling to cope with it while he was grieving. Combine that with rumors of his team seeking a trade for him as the MVP of the league. Also, I think I remember reading he was drinking before that presser. Not communicating as well as he could have in that situation obviously. His documentary goes through the situation well.

Yeah, young AI was a knucklehead sometimes, but that dude worked his ass off. Could run for days and plenty of people act like he didn’t work hard because that one presser.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t know your exact context here honestly, but I want to share that this entire situation with AI was misconstrued. I like sharing it and share it somewhat often because I think AI gets a bad rap undeservingly because of it.

The reason AI was dismissing practices was because he his best friend was shot and killed around the time of that press conference. He was struggling to cope with it while he was grieving. Combine that with rumors of his team seeking a trade for him as the MVP of the league. Also, I think I remember reading he was drinking before that presser. Not communicating as well as he could have in that situation obviously. His documentary goes through the situation well.

Yeah, young AI was a knucklehead sometimes, but that dude worked his ass off. Could run for days and plenty of people act like he didn’t work hard because that one presser.

As a Georgetown fan and a Sixers fan since Dr J was a Sixer and Patrick Ewing was a Hoya, I loved that AI was a Sixer.

He also couldn't care less about practice and it was one of many reasons why he never maximized his talent. Larry Brown was very public about his frustration that AI did not take practice seriously. AI felt like he didn't need to work hard in practice and didn't see it through a coach's eyes that the team needed him to take it seriously.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

There are few sports I care less about than the NBA but from what I know AI was a stand up dude who put his body on the line constantly for his team. He was also one of the few who showed up and worked hard for USA Basketball when they embarrassed themselves one time. I know he had his personal issues but I believe that even though he came from a tough environment he was a good guy.

I got to sort of meet him twice when I lived in Philly and worked in Bala Cynwyd which is a nice area just outside of the city. One time I was walking back from lunch and saw a new Rolls in front of the bank so I look inside and there is AI waiting for his wife (I assume). I kind of made eye contact and nodded and he smiled and did the same. Not too long after a bunch of my coworkers and I went to a local restaurant after work for a couple of drinks and AI came in with his entourage. When I walked by I said hi and he said hi back. One of my coworkers had a big crush on him and she said so when she walked by and he just smiled and said thanks as nice as could be. I know they aren't much but it left me with a good feeling about the guy - better than a lot of other athletes I've happen to meet.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
As a Georgetown fan and a Sixers fan since Dr J was a Sixer and Patrick Ewing was a Hoya, I loved that AI was a Sixer.

He also couldn't care less about practice and it was one of many reasons why he never maximized his talent. Larry Brown was very public about his frustration that AI did not take practice seriously. AI felt like he didn't need to work hard in practice and didn't see it through a coach's eyes that the team needed him to take it seriously.
We might actually agree (at least partially). Feel fee to respond obviously, but this’ll be my last post about it.

With a guy that laid his body on the line every game like that, he decided he can’t go as hard in practice given his size. He was 6 foot nothing, 160 and nothing for Christ sake and played as hard as anybody I’ve ever seen. He said he wouldn’t have been able to consistently play in games if he gave his all every practice. And I honestly agree with him. He wouldn’t have been able to play many more nights if he went balls to the wall in practice. He missed that one practice because he was hurt and couldn’t go (at least that’s what he said). That being said, he could have communicated what was going on much better, but that wasn’t a strength of his. All the while millions of people hated him because of his tattoos/culture and where he came from.

Larry Brown said things like:

“If you could just spend more time working on your craft, and not just compete every game as hard as you possibly can, you can help us maybe take it to the next level. You’d be a great example, to me, for the younger kids and if they see you not doing all the right things, it’s very difficult for a coach to get the most out of his team. And he listened to me. He was real respectful.”

“But at the end of the day, I’m so proud I got to coach him and be around him because he helped me as I moved forward. I wish I had it to do all over again to coach him because I think I could’ve done a little better job with him…

I don’t blame Larry Brown or anything. I think the situation gets misconstrued with about 90% of people (not you specifically). AI got an incredible amount of disrespect for a guy that gave more than just about anybody I’ve ever watched on a court. Being an MVP and 6’ 160lbs during an era where Shaq/Kobe/Duncan/KG existed is just about reaching your potential IMO. He couldn’t have been a whole lot better.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We might actually agree (at least partially). Feel fee to respond obviously, but this’ll be my last post about it.

With a guy that laid his body on the line every game like that, he decided he can’t go as hard in practice given his size. He was 6 foot nothing, 160 and nothing for Christ sake and played as hard as anybody I’ve ever seen. He said he wouldn’t have been able to consistently play in games if he gave his all every practice. And I honestly agree with him. He wouldn’t have been able to play many more nights if he went balls to the wall in practice. He missed that one practice because he was hurt and couldn’t go (at least that’s what he said). That being said, he could have communicated much better about it, but that wasn’t a strength of his. All the while millions of people hated him because of his tattoos/culture and where he came from.

Larry Brown said things like:

“If you could just spend more time working on your craft, and not just compete every game as hard as you possibly can, you can help us maybe take it to the next level. You’d be a great example, to me, for the younger kids and if they see you not doing all the right things, it’s very difficult for a coach to get the most out of his team. And he listened to me. He was real respectful.”

“But at the end of the day, I’m so proud I got to coach him and be around him because he helped me as I moved forward. I wish I had it to do all over again to coach him because I think I could’ve done a little better job with him…

I don’t blame Larry Brown or anything. I think the situation gets misconstrued with about 90% of people (not you specifically). AI got an incredible amount of disrespect for a guy that gave more than just about anybody I’ve ever watched on a court. Being an MVP and 6’ 160lbs during an era where Shaq/Kobe/Duncan/KG existed is just about reaching your potential IMO. He couldn’t have been a whole lot better.
Allen knows he could have worked on his craft more.

Exhibit A:

Remember when I came out to L.A. for the first time our rookie year? You picked me up at the hotel and we went out for some food, and you asked me what I was getting up to later.

I said I was going to the club. I mean, we in L.A.! I’m going to the club, Kobe. Come on, man.

And what did you say?

“I’m going back to the gym.”

You’re probably the only dude in the history of the game where the mystique wasn’t exaggerated. The Mamba was no myth, man. It didn’t even do you justice. One, two, three in the morning, we knew where you were.

Allen loved Larry and Larry loved Allen.

Part of why Allen loved Larry was the same reason why he loved big John Thompson at Georgetown. They tried their best to get the most out of Allen.

But, he liked to go to the club more than the gym.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Suzie with no updates

did you get her number?

Allen knows he could have worked on his craft more.

Exhibit A:

Allen loved Larry and Larry loved Allen.

Part of why Allen loved Larry was the same reason why he loved big John Thompson at Georgetown. They tried their best to get the most out of Allen.

But, he liked to go to the club more than the gym.

some athletes just hate practice. They don’t feel they can improve anything in their game. if you are older and have injury history coached know you save things for when it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad