Confirmed with Link: Amerks coach hire: Seth Appert of the USNTDP

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It’s their top sport. Work colleague was there when Puppa played for them.
Yeah its just not a huge school, and its not super close, so I'm just surprised that there's the overlap. I'm not surprised people are RPI hockey supporters, just that they have the affiliation in general

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I wonder how much of a role Ralph Krueger played in this hire? Or if it was mostly an Adams hire.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He added this, which is very important for context:

Aka, management compartmentalization.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wonder how much of a role Ralph Krueger played in this hire? Or if it was mostly an Adams hire.
I remember Adams saying that Krueger would be involved in the selection. It sounds like he was.
Seth Appert Rochester Amerks coach announced by Buffalo Sabres

Adams "“Seth has a proven track record of developing talent at various levels and we are looking forward to him being the next head coach of the Rochester Americans. His approach to coaching and leadership, both on and off the ice, is a natural fit with the philosophy Ralph Krueger and I have started to implement as we build the organization. Seth will be an asset to Rochester and to the Sabres organization, and I’m excited to see him succeed behind the bench with the Amerks.”

Appert: “It’s honor to become head coach of the Rochester Americans and be part of the Buffalo Sabres organization. I know the passion of both fan bases and I look forward to helping develop players for the Sabres while building on the winning culture in Rochester. I would like to thank Terry and Kim Pegula, Kevyn Adams and Ralph Krueger for this incredible opportunity and their belief in me.”

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
A coach (RK) who hasn't exactly excelled in his current role or previous NHL one has an awful lot of say in organizational decisions. What happens if it is apparently obvious he is the weak link in the chain for on ice performance? The GM seems handcuffed at that point. I fear this will be the case and do not like the amount of authority the coach, who hasn't delivered anything of value yet, has.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
A coach (RK) who hasn't exactly excelled in his current role or previous NHL one has an awful lot of say in organizational decisions. What happens if it is apparently obvious he is the weak link in the chain for on ice performance? The GM seems handcuffed at that point. I fear this will be the case and do not like the amount of authority the coach, who hasn't delivered anything of value yet, has.
Not a problem. Adam Mair is being groomed.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I missed the beginning of this press conference but from the little I’ve heard I like what Appert has said so far. He seems well spoken.

Last edited:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Appert is a name dropper: "My good friend Blashill won a calder cup."

And he also uses the term "papa bears" to refer to AHL vets, which is a little awkward.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't say Appert's said anything bad, but certainly nothing standing out to me...

Just sounds like a guy. I'm not sure how he's any different than Taylor, apart from Taylor having proven AHL success, specifically with this team...

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I wouldn't say Appert's said anything bad, but certainly nothing standing out to me...

Just sounds like a guy. I'm not sure how he's any different than Taylor, apart from Taylor having proven AHL success, specifically with this team...
yeah, this dude is milquetoast. I have no opinion of him, other than that he seems more like a sales rep.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Summary:

-Buffalo media's asked typical dumb questions (i.e. "Do you read the criticism on twitter?!", no really, that was asked)

-Appert's happy to be past RPI, which had a lot of non-hockey bs to do (fundraisers).

-(slightly contradicting Kevyn?) Talked about winning over development, but later talked balancing the two

-Talked on veterans being there more for culture than scoring points

-Some typical salesman stuff ("are you coming to practice, or are you investing in practice"). usual ra-ra stuff.

-Pretty whitebeard otherwise; it was forgettable.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Also not the most reassuring quality from a coach
yes! That concerns me almost as much as when Seth said his head wasn't in the game for a while at RPI. Who the f*** gives that kind of answer when they are taking over a coaching job? I am not a fan of this hire.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is this on wgr, guess I'll have to listen

Oh I see the link

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
yes! That concerns me almost as much as when Seth said his head wasn't in the game for a while at RPI. Who the f*** gives that kind of answer when they are taking over a coaching job? I am not a fan of this hire.
I guess to be fair to my quoted comment, he was asked directly about his poor performance and also, had a functional (i still didn't like it) excuse for underperforming.

All in all, i still think it was a dumb answer. That's the sort of question that should get a canned response.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
That's probably what clinched the job interview for him. The new regime is into transparency.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The NTDP is a pretty darn strong program. Seth was an Asst coach for the 2017 squad and became HC afterwards. The 2017 team which was particularly strong and had a roster that includes some of the NHL's best. So why don't folks take a moment to ask Jack Eichel about Seth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad