American Prospect Update Thread

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yes, this is definitely an intriguing development.

Another angle is if Sudbury got wind of Musty wanting to come to the OHL -- but to another team. The OHL has a rule that allows a team to declare a first-round pick "defected" if they don't report to camp. A team gets a compensatory first-round pick -- one spot later than the spot in which the player was drafted -- the following year if they trade him by Sept. 15. There's talk of another highly-ranked Ontario-born prospect (not Ritchie) signing a tender with Muskegon, so teams with high picks might be looking to maximize value for their franchise rather than settle for a lesser player.

OHLWriters: OHL Defected 1st round draft pick Flashback Trade Tree - Lucas Lessio

Here's another story about compensatory picks.

OHL draft holdouts have power, but teams can pay a long game
That’s actually very interesting. So they could draft Musty with full intentions of trading him. Her hun declared a defection trade hun for a haul and then have next years 2nd overall pick as well? Especially to do this in a year when none of the Ontario kids played any hockey.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
That’s actually very interesting. So they could draft Musty with full intentions of trading him. Her hun declared a defection trade hun for a haul and then have next years 2nd overall pick as well? Especially to do this in a year when none of the Ontario kids played any hockey.
Yes, as I understand the rules, that is correct. Now, it's still a gamble because they have to be certain that Musty is willing to report to another OHL team. If he just goes to the NTDP, there's no compensation.

Edit: It's just a hunch, but Musty is originally from the Buffalo area, no? Can you think of another western NY product who made a big splash in the OHL? Mind you, it was after he spent two years with NTDP, but still. If I was a betting man ... They just convinced Liam Gilmartin to give up the college route and go to OHL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Will be interesting to see what happens. Those tweets don't seem very confident, though, with how much hedging language they used. IMO if you had the sources to know Sudbury is considering Musty with the 1st overall pick, I don't think you'd also need the NTDP roster to be released to confirm, either. Sudbury would know what's happening with Musty ahead of the NTDP roster release.

Reactions: JiggsNY

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I can't imagine a kid picking the OHl instead of the NTDP. I know some of the pros and cons but that seems like a bad decision in my opinion. Either one prepares you just fine for the next level but only one allows you the honor of playing for your country.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Let alone the flexibility in a D+1/2 year coming out of the NTDP vs OHL gives you...

Reactions: Dux917

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Hope we see the final roster soon, seems like it has been all over the place compared to prior years when you had a good idea who was making it beforehand.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
@Brock and Russ are both well connected, and @Brock is as reputable as it gets in the OHL. Big pull by the OHL. Musty has a lot of hype behind him, so I'm excited to see how he does. I just hope he didn't bail on an NTDP commitment, so we don't have to deal with the pettiness for years. I have zero issues with him going to the OHL. It's the next step USAH needs to take. We should want top players going to the WHL, OHL, USHL, and the NTDP each year and still have a strong NTDP program.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can’t muster the desire to be worked up by where players who haven’t even reached junior hockey choose to play. Chances are USAH will select some good players, and at least a few of these kids will be high picks. I don’t really care which ones that becomes. It’s too hard to predict this stuff below the junior level.

I do agree that players who have a family member in the game are probably overrated in the selection process, but I don’t watch these players to be able to know who should’ve made these teams at the time they were selected.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Damn this is pretty disappointing from a USA/ NTDP standpoint. Like you said I just hope we avoid the pettiness. If he’s the top player in our age group hopefully we can avoid that. But it’s annoying he won’t be involved in the U17s and 18s perhaps as the NTDP usually just takes the program kids and/ or OHL still in season.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
No Musty...

Shaugabay, Whitelaw, Svoboda, and Adams are the other 'names' not there.

Its disappointing in a way, but also it’s a good thing for the state or USA hockey. If we can leave off Musty, Whitelaw, Shaugabay, Adams, Svoboda etc and still have a great NTDP then we’re in a good place. Some years the NTDP is too stacked for its own good and great players get overshadowed or overlooked. Or guys get shifted out of their natural positions. It’s a good thing if we have several terrific players signing tenders and contributing in the USHL at 16.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Its disappointing in a way, but also it’s a good thing for the state or USA hockey. If we can leave off Musty, Whitelaw, Shaugabay, Adams, Svoboda etc and still have a great NTDP then we’re in a good place. Some years the NTDP is too stacked for its own good and great players get overshadowed or overlooked. Or guys get shifted out of their natural positions. It’s a good thing if we have several terrific players signing tenders and contributing in the USHL at 16.

I imagine Shaugabay probably declined. It's really hard to get Minnesota kids to leave high school programs like Warroad.

It's also possible those names just aren't that good and/or were early developers. Happens every year with names everyone expects to be there and then they fall off the map not long after.

Reactions: JiggsNY and JotAlan

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I imagine Shaugabay probably declined. It's really hard to get Minnesota kids to leave high school programs like Warroad.

It's also possible those names just aren't that good and/or were early developers. Happens every year with names everyone expects to be there and then they fall off the map not long after.
Sure of course that could be the case. Hopefully not, but yeah. In past years it felt like the roster was named and you'd look at it and go yeah that's just about everyone who should be there, and then also other kids you never heard of to fill out the team. Over the last number of years it feels like there's been many more high profile omissions getting left off because there's just not enough spots. Many of the cuts in recent years would be slam dunk rostered just a little while ago.

And yeah I forgot he was playing at Warroadnot surprising if he turned it down.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
After how goalie injuries helped ruin the 17’s season this year, I think three is a good decision.

What's the likelihood of both goalies dealing with injuries all year, though? It's not common.

There's not enough games for 3 goalies to play enough to continue developing, and that's the goal at 16. If they had chosen just 2, the odds are extremely high the 3rd would be playing U16/U18/Prep instead, and would jump at the chance to fill in with the NTDP if injuries were a problem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What's the likelihood of both goalies dealing with injuries all year, though? It's not common.

There's not enough games for 3 goalies to play enough to continue developing, and that's the goal at 16. If they had chosen just 2, the odds are extremely high the 3rd would be playing U16/U18/Prep instead, and would jump at the chance to fill in with the NTDP if injuries were a problem.

I think though that you have to think of it as 5 for two teams as opposed to 3 for one team. Players move between the two teams often when there are injuries, especially this past season. I think when you have five goalies you’ll probably have one injured often enough that of the healthy goalies you can keep them playing often enough.

When you have to put a guy outside the NTDP in a game, you are conceding that you are going to be getting poor goaltending. The guys they find as replacements can’t get up to the speed of the higher level of hockey quickly. Development is important, but I also don’t think it’s worth ruining a season over. I’m also not sure it’s such a bad thing to get less games and better coaching in a better environment than more games and worse coaching in a worse environment. I think it’s close enough that picking three makes some sense.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think though that you have to think of it as 5 for two teams as opposed to 3 for one team. Players move between the two teams often when there are injuries, especially this past season. I think when you have five goalies you’ll probably have one injured often enough that of the healthy goalies you can keep them playing often enough.

When you have to put a guy outside the NTDP in a game, you are conceding that you are going to be getting poor goaltending. The guys they find as replacements can’t get up to the speed of the higher level of hockey quickly. Development is important, but I also don’t think it’s worth ruining a season over. I’m also not sure it’s such a bad thing to get less games and better coaching in a better environment than more games and worse coaching in a worse environment. I think it’s close enough that picking three makes some sense.

The 5 for 2 teams makes sense if they're highly confident one of those U17s is good enough to play up for any significant amount of time, otherwise it's only relevant for the U18's USHL games. I sure hope one of them is a Knight, Commesso, etc. and capable of that, but I don't think having 3 of a Homer/Mbereko/ etc. level goalie changes anything in terms of the program's ability to adapt to injuries.

Chicagohockey99

Aug 10, 2020
Well confirmed Musty going to the OHL. At least we got Gabriel Perrault to commit to the team and therefore USA. Wonder if Jacob Perrault switches to USA or if we see a split nationality brothers situation like the Foligno’s.

Edit: same with Sawchyn, great to get him looked in USA

There are a total of three duals on the team Sawchyn, Perrault and Weiermair . I guess that is a positive sign for US hockey that they all went in a US direction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad