American Prospect Update Thread

Chicagohockey99

Aug 10, 2020
@Brock and Russ are both well connected, and @Brock is as reputable as it gets in the OHL. Big pull by the OHL. Musty has a lot of hype behind him, so I'm excited to see how he does. I just hope he didn't bail on an NTDP commitment, so we don't have to deal with the pettiness for years. I have zero issues with him going to the OHL. It's the next step USAH needs to take. We should want top players going to the WHL, OHL, USHL, and the NTDP each year and still have a strong NTDP program.

Actually that would be a fantastic line Moldenhauer in the middle and Delic and Musty on the wings. Musty and Moldenhauer are the star two man team from NJ Avalanche and Delic and Moldenhauer played on the Titans together for three years and has been playing in Slavic Europe this year. That line in two years is an NHL bound line!!!

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think it is always big loss for USA Hockey as a whole when guys declines NTDP spots and even more so if they are top prospects who are going to Canada. Imagine losing Eiserman to CHL next year. That would be big image loss for USA Hockey.

Reactions: Dux917

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I think it is always big loss for USA Hockey as a whole when guys declines NTDP spots and even more so if they are top prospects who are going to Canada. Imagine losing Eiserman to CHL next year. That would be big image loss for USA Hockey.
Yeah hopefully we don’t make a habit of it. Eiserman would be in the QMJHL territory correct? Can’t think of any too New England kid opting for the Q. Or has being at shattuck long enough made him eligible for the WHL? I don’t think so.

Reactions: SK94 and Dux917

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018

Agree. Much more a fan of them going to play NCAA hockey.

OHL is the only real problem, as there are simply less players in the WHL territory and most New England kids don't/won't to go to Quebec and play in the QMJHL.

If the OHL signs up a younger player that's one thing, but when they swoop in a grab a player that has already committed to a college, etc - thats tough

Last edited:
Reactions: SK94

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Thought Adams was almost a lock for the NTDP team - but he quickly finds a home for next season. A real good '05.

Reactions: JiggsNY

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I think USAH should worry less about monopolizing its talent with the NTDP and more about improving its depth to a point where guys like Musty can go #1 overall in the OHL draft and the NTDP can still build a strong team. That's another important step for the program where these events aren't incompatible, but instead complimentary.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Yeah hopefully we don’t make a habit of it. Eiserman would be in the QMJHL territory correct? Can’t think of any too New England kid opting for the Q. Or has being at shattuck long enough made him eligible for the WHL? I don’t think so.
As a Massachusetts kid, yes, he is in the Q territory and I would be shocked if any team was able to get him to give up the NTDP and college route. There have been so few high-profile Mass. products that have chosen the Q, I wouldn't need all the fingers on one hand to count them -- and none in this century have been as good as Eiserman. Jeremy Roenick is the best Mass. kid to ever play in the Q, and Keith Yandle is the best one that comes to mind in the last 20 years, with Jimmy Sharrow and Conor Garland being some others. (Adam Erne is a Connecticut kid.) Of course, the best American to ever play in the Q was Pat LaFontaine, but he was a St. Louis kid who came through the Detroit pipeline before the CHL carved up the States into regions for each of their three leagues.
EDIT: Eiserman has not committed to a college yet, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
In your opinion, which 2005 players have the most potential? And which crop ntdp is more talented 2004 or 2005?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In your opinion, which 2005 players have the most potential? And which crop ntdp is more talented 2004 or 2005?

I don’t know the answer to your first question, but will try to answer your second question. It seems like there’s near unanimous agreement that the 2004 crop is one of the best in a long time and there’s a lot less excitement about the 2005 crop.

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's hard to compare them. The '04s had the pre-COVID world for a lot easier scouting and they also had the high profile YOGs.

It really just depends on how the top players perform. The 2005 class has some highly hyped players (i.e. Musty, Minnetian, Smith, etc.) but lots of players get hype when they're young.

Pre-U17 hype is largely meaningless. Hockey followers were much more excited by the '00 birth year than the '01 birth year, too.

Reactions: JotAlan

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
It's hard to compare them. The '04s had the pre-COVID world for a lot easier scouting and they also had the high profile YOGs.

It really just depends on how the top players perform. The 2005 class has some highly hyped players (i.e. Musty, Minnetian, Smith, etc.) but lots of players get hype when they're young.

Pre-U17 hype is largely meaningless. Hockey followers were much more excited by the '00 birth year than the '01 birth year, too.

Good point about the 00 vs the o1 class. I subrcibe to Neutral Zone and for what it's worth they are not overly enamored with the 05 class. They see it as lacking in high end talent but they are quick to acknowledge that the year of COVID has made scouting more than an inexact science and they firmly subscribe to the belief that development is not linear.

Chicagohockey99

Aug 10, 2020
Good point about the 00 vs the o1 class. I subrcibe to Neutral Zone and for what it's worth they are not overly enamored with the 05 class. They see it as lacking in high end talent but they are quick to acknowledge that the year of COVID has made scouting more than an inexact science and they firmly subscribe to the belief that development is not linear.
It's funny in talking with CHL and College coaches , I get the indication that for example as forwards go the 05 year is relatively strong. I mean western Canada has already had 10 or so 05's playing in the modified WHL season this year with much success not to mention on the world stage. I think it is really hard to assess much this year as kidshave had a wide range of conditions to deal with :for example Ontario - had no ice , while other markets had allot of ice. I don't think there was much efficient or accurate scouting at all given this situation with Covid and I am not sure Neutral Zone is such an accurate source or other sites like it in the current times.There have just not been adequate scouting resources allocated to form a reasonable picture. In many cases people just looked at the kids when they were much younger. Some of the upcoming OHL draft is based on performance in Bantam hockey. Some kids have grown over half a foot or more. The coming year will be the equalizer as markets open up. I think there will be allot of surprises as the fall 2021 season starts. I think you can at least look to draft results: USHL, OHL, WHL, National Team Selection as a good litmus test as those organizations of any organization dedicated the most resources ( watched tape, talked to coaches, seen games where possible ) to identifying who they need as it directly relates to their success.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
He's QMJHL territory, so he's not really a CHL risk.

Just curious as to why you would think that? The player that comes to mind is Conor Garland.

I wasn't very familiar with his junior career. I was wondering why he chose the Q option and why (despite big scoring numbers in Moncton) he lasted until the fifth round?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Just curious as to why you would think that? The player that comes to mind is Conor Garland.

I wasn't very familiar with his junior career. I was wondering why he chose the Q option and why (despite big scoring numbers in Moncton) he lasted until the fifth round?
Not answering for WHB, of course, but his answer doesn't surprise me. As a long-time watcher of the Q, Massachusetts kids are a rarity. I don't know why he gave up his commitment to Penn State, but I suspect the deep-pocketed Moncton owners made him a generous offer.

As for why he fell to the 5th round? He was in his second year of draft eligibility and was blossoming in his third year in the CHL -- as many do. At the time, he was five-foot-eight, not that fast (although his edgework and mobility were very good) and not that strong.

I remember watching him with Moncton and the skill was evident. He had great vision and the hands to deliver the puck to teammates at just the right time and place.

Was I convinced he'd be an NHLer? No, he had a lot of things to work on and he did just that. He's a good example of the value of properly developing a player after the draft.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
What is everyone’s expectations for this draft? 4 Americans in the first round? More or less?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Beniers, Hughes, Lucius, Samoskevich, Coronato and I’ll say one of the following defenders will slip into the back end of round 1: Peart, Johnson or Morrow.

So 6? I guess Mackie or Coronato could slip or none of those blue liners go in the top 32 so maybe 5 is a better conservative answer but I’ll stick with 6.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
American 1st rounders...I'd say between 8-9 including dual nationals

Locks: Beniers, Hughes, Lucius, Coronato, Sillinger
On Bubble: Samoskevich, Behrens, Duke, Hreshchuk, Pastujov
Long-shot: Broz, Peart, Morrow
Super Long-shot: Boucher, Johnson, Ufko, Blake, Stillman, Spacek

Reactions: razor ray

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What is everyone’s expectations for this draft? 4 Americans in the first round? More or less?
Going to be a hell of a lot better than last year's draft that is for certain lol.

My gut says 6 or 7..Pastujov is getting overlooked some, kid was the only forward on US doing much of anything at the u18. He has been doing it all year long. I think he goes higher than many are thinking right now.

Morrow is another that looks filthy dynamic...should be a 1st rounder but who knows..Zac Jones went 3rd round and I felt he was a borderline first rounder.

Morrow and Pastujov are my 2 US kids to really focus on as players who go higher than thought.

Reactions: razor ray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad