American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Canada named their U18 summer camp roster. As expected Perreault and Tullio was named. Stephen Halliday wasn't and it is interesting if USA hockey could still do something with him. He is not USA hockey camp either so probably not but it would be interesting to see him in Hlinka tournament. 02 group is not great so Halliday would be nice addition. It is hard to understand how Tullio was not offered a spot becacuse he was interested to join NTDP. He would be probably second or third talented forward right now.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Americans at the Los Angeles Kings camp:

#NameWeightBirthplaceDate of BirthPos
39Alex Turcotte186Island Lake, IL2/26/2001Fwd
46Blake Lizotte172Lindstrom, MN12/13/1997Fwd
48Brock Caufield154Mosinee, WI3/9/1999Fwd
49Jake Slaker183San Diego, CA6/28/1996Fwd
59Adam Goodsir181Okemos, MI7/3/1999Fwd
52Arthur Kaliyev194Tashkent, UZB6/26/2001Fwd
44Mikey Anderson197Roseville, MN5/25/1999Def
62Cole Hults189Stoughton, WI5/22/1998Def
67Braden Doyle162Lynnfield, MA8/24/2001Def
85Derek Mullahy176Scituate, MA3/20/2001Goal
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Americans at the Buffalo Sabres development camp.
#NameWeightHeightBirthplaceDate of BirthPos19/20 Club
32Michael Lackey2146'4"Washington, DC5/6/1997GUnsigned
50Adam Scheel1906'3"Lakewood, OH5/1/1999GNorth Dakota
51Darion Hanson1816'3"East Bethel, MN5/19/1997GUnion College
24Lawrence Pilut181 5'11"Tingsryd, SWE12/30/1995DBuffalo Sabres
33William Borgen187 6'2"Moorhead, MN12/19/1996DRochester Americans
36Bryan Yoon1816'0"Parker, CO1/27/1998DColorado College
56Casey Fitzgerald1855'11"North Reading, MA2/25/1997DRochester Americans
76Ryan Johnson1706'0"Irvine, CA7/24/2001DUniv.of Minnesota
85Mattias Samuelsson2206'4"Philadelphia, PA3/14/2000DWestern Michigan
45Dawson DiPietro1745'11"Medina, OH11/15/1995FWWestern Michigan
52Andrew Oglevie1815'10"Fullerton, CA2/16/1995FWRochester Americans
72Tage Thompson2056'5"Glendale, AZ10/30/1997FWBuffalo Sabres
75Eric Cooley1745'9"West Mifflin, PA05/05/1998FWNiagara Univ.
80Aaron Huglen1655'11"Roseau, MN03/06/2001FWFargo Force
94Caleb Moretz1745'10"Fairbanks, AK07/14/1998FWRIT (NCAA)
95Josh Passolt1816'0"Hayward, WI09/13/1996FWWestern Michigan
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yes, i included Pilut because he is technically still eligible for US. Chance he ever wear US sweater is probably pretty much zero but anyways...

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Canada named their U18 summer camp roster. As expected Perreault and Tullio was named. Stephen Halliday wasn't and it is interesting if USA hockey could still do something with him. He is not USA hockey camp either so probably not but it would be interesting to see him in Hlinka tournament. 02 group is not great so Halliday would be nice addition. It is hard to understand how Tullio was not offered a spot becacuse he was interested to join NTDP. He would be probably second or third talented forward right now.
he definitely wouldn't hurt...

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Happy to see Cross Hanas make the Hlinka roster, he had a kinda rough 16 year old year for Portland but he did great in camp and looks strong for his draft year

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
0 point in 5 games in camp...that’s probably why a player didn’t make the team. Also there are many factors in making a team and some players don’t check all the boxes.
again, not all about stats - use their damn eyes and see the kids that are far more talented than those that find a way to put up a few points...pure f***ing stupidity..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Schingoethe and Stranges decisions are all about them not playing for the NTDP. Keane is a different situation, unless he also was invited to the NTDP, but chose not to accept. He may not be as good as his reputation. He played infrequently with London last season because of their defensive depth.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
again, not all about stats - use their damn eyes and see the kids that are far more talented than those that find a way to put up a few points...pure ****ing stupidity..

You play in 5 games vs opponents all trying to make team and you put up zero points and think that player is worthy of making the roster? That’s stupidity. It’s not all about stats but putting up zilch doesn’t help the cause to make a team. Based On the tryout there is zero chance he should have made that team.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think Schingoethe and Stranges is all about them not playing for the NTDP. Keane is a different situation, unless he also was invited to the NTDP, but chose not to accept. He may not be as good as his reputation. He played infrequently with London last season because of their defensive depth.

Absolutely disagree. As a scout you probably know as much if not more about why some players aren’t chosen. Reputation at this point only gets you so far - you have to produce eventually. If you are telling me a player that had zero points in 5 games deserved to make team then you are nuts. It’s nice to see kids earn spots rather than be given spots.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You play in 5 games vs opponents all trying to make team and you put up zero points and think that player is worthy of making the roster? That’s stupidity. It’s not all about stats but putting up zilch doesn’t help the cause to make a team. Based On the tryout there is zero chance he should have made that team.
you meet up for a week or so in the end of June to play a quick few games to make this team..all you keep saying is someone didn't put up stats therefor they didn't belong - yet it seems time and time again that the names that get cut from these teams are the guys that either bailed out on the USNDP or turned down an invite..I do know people that were there, Stranges and Schingoethe is 100% a f***ing joke they got cut..but that is how USA Hockey plays it at times, and why they get snubbed down the road from our pro players. you want to say other kids produced more to earn it?? you let me know which kids that made this team are far more talented than either of those two..if you think there are 20 better players outside of the USNDP than those two, this is going to be the greatest year in USA Hockey history...sorry, I am not buying that crap at all. regardless if they put up 0 points or 10, they simply weren't making this team and that is the shame of it..USA Hockey needs to be the bigger and better person here and not act like a 5 year old that got their toy taken away from them when a player snubs them or turns them down..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Absolutely disagree. As a scout you probably know as much if not more about why some players aren’t chosen. Reputation at this point only gets you so far - you have to produce eventually. If you are telling me a player that had zero points in 5 games deserved to make team then you are nuts. It’s nice to see kids earn spots rather than be given spots.

Stranges had over .5PPG playing in the bottom six on the best team in Junior hockey this past season as a 16 year old. With a bigger role, he probably would've been close to 1PPG or could've had more than that. He's a very good player. Five bad games doesn't make someone not good enough to make a roster when there's a much larger sample of their play. We all know that most players have spots locked up before this camp, so I doubt it had much to do with how he played at this camp. It might've made it easier for them to rationalize this to the public though with 0 points in five games.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
you meet up for a week or so in the end of June to play a quick few games to make this team..all you keep saying is someone didn't put up stats therefor they didn't belong - yet it seems time and time again that the names that get cut from these teams are the guys that either bailed out on the USNDP or turned down an invite..I do know people that were there, Stranges and Schingoethe is 100% a ****ing joke they got cut..but that is how USA Hockey plays it at times, and why they get snubbed down the road from our pro players. you want to say other kids produced more to earn it?? you let me know which kids that made this team are far more talented than either of those two..if you think there are 20 better players outside of the USNDP than those two, this is going to be the greatest year in USA Hockey history...sorry, I am not buying that crap at all. regardless if they put up 0 points or 10, they simply weren't making this team and that is the shame of it..USA Hockey needs to be the bigger and better person here and not act like a 5 year old that got their toy taken away from them when a player snubs them or turns them down..

You understand it’s a totally different selection committee that picks this team vs the ntdp right? I talked to about a half dozen scouts last year and they agreed that schingoethe had a really poor ntdp camp and didn’t deserve a selection (which he got after a few kids turned down offer). Stranges signed on then backed out. Character is important too isn’t it? They want players that want to wear the red white and blue - it’s just not another jersey.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Stranges had over .5PPG playing in the bottom six on the best team in Junior hockey this past season as a 16 year old. With a bigger role, he probably would've been close to 1PPG or could've had more than that. He's a very good player. Five bad games doesn't make someone not good enough to make a roster when there's a much larger sample of their play. We all know that most players have spots locked up before this camp, so I doubt it had much to do with how he played at this camp. It might've made it easier for them to rationalize this to the public though with 0 points in five games.

As I stated before - they are looking for certain type of players. Players have to check all the boxes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You understand it’s a totally different selection committee that picks this team vs the ntdp right? I talked to about a half dozen scouts last year and they agreed that schingoethe had a really poor ntdp camp and didn’t deserve a selection (which he got after a few kids turned down offer). Stranges signed on then backed out. Character is important too isn’t it? They want players that want to wear the red white and blue - it’s just not another jersey.
you think this is a different committee? you think they all don't get fed by the same hands? they do...I am not going to argue over this as I know you care and follow USA Hockey as well - for me, when it comes to USA Hockey if it smells like shit, looks like shit, it probably is shit - years and years of seeing how they "run" things, it is just par for the course.

I hope all the kids there step it up and win the damn Gold, I truly do - but this is not the way you conduct yourself at this level...be bigger than this, they sadly rarely ever are. I don't want to detract from the kids that are there, they do deserve focus and hopefully elevate many of their statuses..

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
you think this is a different committee? you think they all don't get fed by the same hands? they do...I am not going to argue over this as I know you care and follow USA Hockey as well - for me, when it comes to USA Hockey if it smells like ****, looks like ****, it probably is **** - years and years of seeing how they "run" things, it is just par for the course.

I hope all the kids there step it up and win the damn Gold, I truly do - but this is not the way you conduct yourself at this level...be bigger than this, they sadly rarely ever are. I don't want to detract from the kids that are there, they do deserve focus and hopefully elevate many of their statuses..

I get a lot of info from people that I trust their opinions and consensus that I heard backs up what I watched that he didn’t have best camp and was borderline selection. Add in character issue and I probably take a kid that wants to wear the USA jersey vs a kid that chose chl. Sorry buts that the truth. Other players I saw that had great hype in years passed and didn’t show well at camp didn’t make it either...it’s open competition now and spots should be earned and not given. Kids develop at differnet ages and the kid that was a no miss stud a year or two ago may have been passed by others. If you told me Xavier parent wasn’t going to be drafted this year a few years ago I would have said you are crazy...

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

A good "scout" would never base their opinions or team selections based on 5 games of glorified pond hockey when a player just finished an entire season in a top junior league. Let's not pretend what USAH is doing during the Hlinka selection process is scouting.

I get a lot of info from people that I trust their opinions and consensus that I heard backs up what I watched that he didn’t have best camp and was borderline selection. Add in character issue and I probably take a kid that wants to wear the USA jersey vs a kid that chose chl. Sorry buts that the truth. Other players I saw that had great hype in years passed and didn’t show well at camp didn’t make it either...it’s open competition now and spots should be earned and not given. Kids develop at differnet ages and the kid that was a no miss stud a year or two ago may have been passed by others. If you told me Xavier parent wasn’t going to be drafted this year a few years ago I would have said you are crazy...

Stranges screwed up with how he handled the NTDP. No one has ever disputed that except London fans. But it's pretty ridiculous to suggest he doesn't want to wear the USA jersey. It's literally one of the two main reasons the players even bother with the Select 17 camp - to possibly play for USAH or to land a scholarship, etc., the latter of which isn't relevant for Stranges.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He didn’t make the Michigan cut yet was awarded an at large bid and spot on all star team. Why would USA do that if they held such a grudge?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this seems to be the only truth you have said, maybe you didn't even catch yourself..

upload_2019-7-1_22-46-28.png

check out that bottom line you wrote "Also a pretty good idea not to screw over USA Hockey if you want to play in future tournaments with them." yep, this about sums up everything some of us have been saying..and exactly the point. spin the other stuff all you like, this is the truth right here...

Reactions: William H Bonney

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
this seems to be the only truth you have said, maybe you didn't even catch yourself..

View attachment 242163

check out that bottom line you wrote "Also a pretty good idea not to screw over USA Hockey if you want to play in future tournaments with them." yep, this about sums up everything some of us have been saying..and exactly the point. spin the other stuff all you like, this is the truth right here...

Kind of ties into character/off ice box to check off doesn’t it?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kind of ties into character/off ice box to check off doesn’t it?
lol, no it doesn't. Making a decision to impact your future at 15/16 years old does not check off any box on character/off ice regardless how it hurts USA Hockey's feelings. Again, none of us liked what happened, but this kid could have gotten pressure/advice, etc to go to the OHL instead of the USNDP - now that makes him a bad kid because he bolted? I didn't like how late in the process he did this at, and I am on record saying it sucked - but this does not at all show a kids character or question him off ice lol. I see dozens of kids decommitting from college year in and out, they must all be horrible kids with off ice issues as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad