American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Jake Toporowski the star defensemen from the Chicago Mission as well is not on here. This kid was amazing in tier-1 and is on par with the top 6-7 dmen from this group IMO. The only thing I can think of is he told them he was going to play for Spokane in the WHL as he was a high draft pick over there and his father played there as well. But a treat to watch and one of the best defensemen in the nation.

I thought I saw earlier this year that he has already signed with Spokane, but now I'm not seeing official reference to it anywhere. In any case, he'll be with Spokane next year.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Eagan defenseman Nick Wolff committed to Minnesota-Duluth today. Bruising defenseman with upside likely as a merciless shut-down, defensive D good for a game-changing hit or two.. draft eligible, will be interesting where he falls after going back to mn high school for senior year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Jake Toporowski the star defensemen from the Chicago Mission as well is not on here. This kid was amazing in tier-1 and is on par with the top 6-7 dmen from this group IMO. The only thing I can think of is he told them he was going to play for Spokane in the WHL as he was a high draft pick over there and his father played there as well. But a treat to watch and one of the best defensemen in the nation.

Wow is that the Toppers son? Is he as crazy as his old man was?

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Posted in the USHL thread but no one has been in there for months so I thought some American prospect fans could help me out. Can someone explain to me the USHL draft process. I get confused with the phase one and two process as well as the tender process. Which one is "more important" to a team?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Posted in the USHL thread but no one has been in there for months so I thought some American prospect fans could help me out. Can someone explain to me the USHL draft process. I get confused with the phase one and two process as well as the tender process. Which one is "more important" to a team?

The Phase I Draft is for '98 birth years only and the Phase II Draft is for 94-97 birth years or any additional 98's that are remaining.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Thanks. Do you know how the tender process factors into the draft?

Teams can use up to 2 tenders per year on players eligible for the Phase I Draft('98s this year). The first tender signed takes the place of the team's first Phase I pick, and the second tender signed takes the place of the team's second Phase I pick. A tendered player has to dress for at least 50% of that team's games the following year.

Should also add that Madison will be an expansion team next year, and they'll get a handful of tenders for players of any age to help build their team next year.

It's tough to say which of the two drafts is "more important". The Phase II draft can have a more immediate impact on a team the following year, but selecting well in the Phase I draft can yield more high-end talent down the road.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Teams can use up to 2 tenders per year on players eligible for the Phase I Draft('98s this year). The first tender signed takes the place of the team's first Phase I pick, and the second tender signed takes the place of the team's second Phase I pick. A tendered player has to dress for at least 50% of that team's games the following year.

It's tough to say which of the two drafts is "more important". The Phase II draft can have a more immediate impact on a team the following year, but selecting well in the Phase I draft can yield more high-end talent down the road.

Thank you very much for the input.

smalt021

Oct 19, 2011
STL
Tweet from US Hockey

USANTDP @usantdp
Honeybaked defenseman Ryan Bederka added to #NTDP #TryoutCamp. Verbal commit to @MSU_Hockey.

smalt021

Oct 19, 2011
STL
Actually 2 changes:

Update - March 18, 2014
Defenseman Hank Sorensen (Plymouth, Minn.) has been added to the camp roster.

Update - March 23, 2014
Defenseman Ryan Bederka (Brighton, Mich.) has been added to the camp roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Commitments for next year's NTDP U17 are starting to leak:

F - Logan Brown
F - Clayton Keller
F - Trent Frederic
F - James Sanchez
F - Riley Tufte
D - Luke Martin
G - Joseph Woll

Max Jones and Chad Krys were rumored to be early commits already as well but confirmations should leak soon if true.

Anyone else see any others?

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How soon do they generally announce the NTDP u17 team? The camp is over now right?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Riley Tufte tweeted this:

riley tufte ‏@rileytufte27·21h
Such a honor to make that team! #USA

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Can someone who has actually seen him play offer some insight on Jordan Schmaltz from UND? He was the Blues 1st rounder 2 years ago.

How about Tommy Vannelli? He seems to be doing well in juniors.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's the Team USA entry list for the IIHF U18s next month.

There are 9 NTDP U17 players on the list but Luke Kirwan isn't one of them which is shocking to me.

All U18 players are on the list but Ryan Bliss, Nathan Billitier, and Ryan Wagner have been down with the U17s for a few weeks so it's highly likely they are out of the running. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more of the U18s may be in jeopardy.

The following non-NTDP players are on the list:

F - Kyle Connor (Youngstown Phantoms - USHL)
F - Ryan Donato (Dexter School - USHS)
F - Nick Schmaltz (Green Bay Gamblers - USHL)
D - Brandon Carlo (Tri-City Americans - WHL)
D - Blake Siebenaler (Niagara IceDogs - OHL)
G - Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers - OHL)
G - Eric Schierhorn (Muskegon Lumberjacks - USHL)

They don't typically add too much from outside the NTDP but they would be crazy not to bring Nedeljkovic. The U18 goalies have been inconsistent their entire 2 years at the NTDP and Nedljkovic is a fantastic goalie and is without question the best '96 American goalie but there's no reason to leave him home since you can have 3 goalies. No need to add any defensemen outside of Hanifin and Werenski. Connor and Schmaltz also deserve spots but I don't think they'll add both since there are U17 forwards that deserve spots and have performed well with the U18s.

Thoughts?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Schmaltz is still in playoff contention with Green Bay. I only see him going if GB is eliminated.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I can definitely see Ned joining the team as soon as Monday.

A few of the others listed have played with u18s prior and have done absolutely nothing. I don't think they are going to go outside the NTDP with the exception of Ned. BUT, you never know !!!

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Here's the Team USA entry list for the IIHF U18s next month.

There are 9 NTDP U17 players on the list but Luke Kirwan isn't one of them which is shocking to me.

All U18 players are on the list but Ryan Bliss, Nathan Billitier, and Ryan Wagner have been down with the U17s for a few weeks so it's highly likely they are out of the running. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more of the U18s may be in jeopardy.

The following non-NTDP players are on the list:

F - Kyle Connor (Youngstown Phantoms - USHL)
F - Ryan Donato (Dexter School - USHS)
F - Nick Schmaltz (Green Bay Gamblers - USHL)
D - Brandon Carlo (Tri-City Americans - WHL)
D - Blake Siebenaler (Niagara IceDogs - OHL)
G - Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers - OHL)
G - Eric Schierhorn (Muskegon Lumberjacks - USHL)

They don't typically add too much from outside the NTDP but they would be crazy not to bring Nedeljkovic. The U18 goalies have been inconsistent their entire 2 years at the NTDP and Nedljkovic is a fantastic goalie and is without question the best '96 American goalie but there's no reason to leave him home since you can have 3 goalies. No need to add any defensemen outside of Hanifin and Werenski. Connor and Schmaltz also deserve spots but I don't think they'll add both since there are U17 forwards that deserve spots and have performed well with the U18s.

Thoughts?

Donato and Siebenaler have been taken to international tournaments with mostly NTDP rosters before so might that give them a small advantage? I agree that there's really no need though as U17 callups, Hanifin and Matthews especially, have been very good. Injuries still a possibility though.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Donato and Siebenaler have been taken to international tournaments with mostly NTDP rosters before so might that give them a small advantage? I agree that there's really no need though as U17 callups, Hanifin and Matthews especially, have been very good. Injuries still a possibility though.

Outside of the goalie situation they do not need to bring anyone in. They are strong enough by adding Hanifin, White and Matthews (all who have been tremendous and consistent all year) with the possibility of still taking Werenski. Only way I see anyone else getting added is through injury and there are sill many terrific players to pull up from the 17's. Typically they take 13 F and 7 D to worlds along with 3 goalies. I believe roster will be announced April 1st.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Will Brendan be drafted?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=225471

His numbers look decent.

I don't want to go off topic too much but I don't think he is thread worthy, but shouldn't he be a part of the 2014/2015 draft looking at his age?
Moved these Brendan van Riemsdyk posts out of Trevor's thread. From THN's Prospect Watch, one scout opined:
This is a crucial year for little bro. Brendan is up for the NHL draft and in a wide-open class with very little consensus among scouts, he could be a dark horse pick.

“He thinks the game the right way,†said one scout. “Big kid with great bloodlines – the skating held him back early on.â€

Also, a clip of CBA in their championship game. BVR's #17 in white:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Schmaltz is still in playoff contention with Green Bay. I only see him going if GB is eliminated.

:skeptic:

He's been with North Dakota for 2 or 3 years now. Jordan Schmaltz. Blues 1st round pick. Not his brother if that's who you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad