Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reactions: Villella McMeans

SugarSherm

The One and Only
Aug 25, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
It's been a while since I've read the book. May need to do a reread before checking this out but it looks intriguing enough to give it a shot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They took the crappy actor from The 100 and put him in a lead role.

And it showed it was a bad idea. What the hell were they thinking?

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Sooo....THAT scene though, right? Probably the most WTF moment in TV in a long time. I mean, I get it. Explaining to the wife was as fun as imagined. I don't know how I feel about this one yet. I'll give it another episode or two.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
They took the crappy actor from The 100 and put him in a lead role.

And it showed it was a bad idea. What the hell were they thinking?

He was pretty faithful to the book, I thought. Shadow isn't the most charismatic person, he's a leaf being swept along a tumultuous river. Really liked Mad Sweeney, and hopefully he's in it more than he is in the book.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He was pretty faithful to the book, I thought. Shadow isn't the most charismatic person, he's a leaf being swept along a tumultuous river. Really liked Mad Sweeney, and hopefully he's in it more than he is in the book.

Yeah playing Shadow shouldn't require much range.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Im pissed this isnt getting a TV release in Canada

Pretty much subscribed to Amazon prime (Canada) for the year just for this and Man in the High Castle.

Still really haven't found anything else worth watching.

Probably would have been cheaper to just buy the series on bluray :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah playing Shadow shouldn't require much range.

Yeah, maybe I expected too much given that I love the book. But whatever, if I can ignore Steven Strait in The Expanse, I can ignore the more jacked version of him in this one.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, maybe I expected too much given that I love the book. But whatever, if I can ignore Steven Strait in The Expanse, I can ignore the more jacked version of him in this one.

He's pretty shut off early in the book (which is my favorite). He becomes more settled within himself as it progresses.

I liked the first episode a lot, but I think the show has another gear to hit. This wasn't a hit-the-ground-running sort of episode. Then again, that's not unlike the book either.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
His children's work is quite odd too :P

But yes, watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it.
Wife was put off a bit by the stylized hyper violence that periodically showed up but I figure that's the Starz factor. Overall she's willing to watch the second episode but definitely is of the opinion that a lot of mind altering substances were involved in the creation of the story :laugh:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
His children's work is quite odd too :P

But yes, watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it.
Wife was put off a bit by the stylized hyper violence that periodically showed up but I figure that's the Starz factor. Overall she's willing to watch the second episode but definitely is of the opinion that a lot of mind altering substances were involved in the creation of the story :laugh:

Fair about his children's work. Although there's not the same level of surreality there.

I'm not sure where they're going with the hyperviolence. There's only really one moment of it in the book and Shadow doesn't even witness it take place. (I'm assuming we are taking about the gore)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Fair about his children's work. Although there's not the same level of surreality there.

I'm not sure where they're going with the hyperviolence. There's only really one moment of it in the book and Shadow doesn't even witness it take place. (I'm assuming we are taking about the gore)

Yeah, the gore. Like I said, I think it's a Starz thing. Look at Spartacus for example. Just probably one of those 'hey look we have lots of blood and few boobs on our shows' moments to draw in a few extra people of that ilk. May taper off after the first episode.

Also, Ian McShane is one of the reasons I think the wife kept watching the show through to the end. I mentioned ahead of time how much I like him as an actor, and after his first scene at the airport/on the airplane she absolutely loved him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, the gore. Like I said, I think it's a Starz thing. Look at Spartacus for example. Just probably one of those 'hey look we have lots of blood and few boobs on our shows' moments to draw in a few extra people of that ilk. May taper off after the first episode.

Also, Ian McShane is one of the reasons I think the wife kept watching the show through to the end. I mentioned ahead of time how much I like him as an actor, and after his first scene at the airport/on the airplane she absolutely loved him.

Fair. I think the amount of blood is supposed to go along with the dark humor and also has roots in some of the classic works of mythology out there. Humor, because the amount of it in the Vikings scene is patently absurd. And I'm thinking of things like in The Iliad where Zeus makes the skies rain blood. That sort of over-the-top concept is at home in this aesthetic where a buffalo literally has fire coming from his eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad