GDT: AMERICA ON TOP OF THE HOCKEY WORLD! USA USA USA

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
First full tournament I’ve gotten to watch in years. Wish we had a few closer games, but overall it was a blast to watch.

Schneider had a really really good tournament. Sure, he misplayed the puck 4-5 times in a couple of track meet games where Canada curb-stomped the opponent. Otherwise, he was virtually perfect and most importantly played his best hockey when it mattered most. He was their best defenseman against Russia, and was probably the second best against US (I thought Drysdale had an off game).

It’s not the best metric in such a short tournament, but was he on for a single goal against? He moved the puck well, threw big hits, jumped into the offense at the right times and was positionally sound. I’m pretty excited about him.

Berard was even better relative to expectations. The tenacity, grit and effort was obviously noticeable. My favorite part was his confidence though. He was constantly tapping his stick on the ice asking for the puck. A bunch of times, the announcers accidentally called him the center because he was so frequently supporting the D between the hashmarks in the defensive zone or carrying the puck up the center of the ice. A lot of swagger.

He was also regularly trash talking after the whistle and threw a couple of hard hits. I don’t know if he’ll get top 6 minutes next year, but I’d expect him to play a bigger role.

Good stuff as a Rangers fan.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hell of a coaching job by Lealman. Team USA took out a team of Canadian thoroughbreds by getting their workhorses to outwork them, and their racehorses going full tilt all night. One team played with a higher compete level than the other, then protected the lead like a pro contender. Was hoping for a more competitive game from the Canadian side, but it was good to watch some hockey again.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hell of a coaching job by Lealman. Team USA took out a team of Canadian thoroughbreds by getting their workhorses to outwork them, and their racehorses going full tilt all night. One team played with a higher compete level than the other, then protected the lead like a pro contender. Was hoping for a more competitive game from the Canadian side, but it was good to watch some hockey again.

I wonder if he gets a look as an NHL coach or a coach in the pros. these are the times that these coaches get the credit they deserve and maybe a chance at pro hockey

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Also, for those of our own fans who wanted Byfield over Laf.

Please line up so I can kick you all in the nuts.

Thanks.
i understand it was a short tournament and this year has been different then any other in the past.....but byfield has to be a disappointment in regards to the praise he has been receiving. all i have heard is how hes a year younger then laff and is better, well a year removed he really didnt elevate his game how youd expect. he will still end up a great player im sure but the debate is definitely over about who the better prospect is

Reactions: bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hughes vs. Kakko was a debate (albeit not the debate everyone made it out to be.)

Lafreniere vs. Byfield was never a debate --- at least not past November for anyone who was being objective.

Schneider - Showed pretty much what you expect him to be in playoff environments and as an important part of a winning team.

Zegras, Lundell and Sanderson - reminding us why the Rangers thought so highly of them.

Berard - Showing the type tenacity that gives him a legit shot at the NHL.

USA Hockey - Providing a ROI that began in earnest about 15 years ago.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if he gets a look as an NHL coach or a coach in the pros. these are the times that these coaches get the credit they deserve and maybe a chance at pro hockey

He probably does. But selfishly if he's helping Berard along at Providence, I wouldn't be too disappointed. You want them to go through the major pros. I think it helps to know the current crop of pro players and systems for a bit before you get to the NHL. Helps with matchups and systems as well.

That being said, a staff can account for that lack of knowledge.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
LOL so butthurt over a barrel. This is what you get when whatever Canadian channel it was spends an hour long pregame proclaiming BEST TEAM EVAR!!!! before the game is even played.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think the second goal was really terrific. Ridiculous hands. Most players even at the nhl level would never have lifted it over the goalie in such a tight spot with very little time. Most would have just tried a wrap around which goalie would most of time stop

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Of course, if Lafreniere played and Dach didn't get hurt, Canada wasn't losing to anybody. LOL. That being said. happy of our boys. Zegras was the guy I heard the Rangers were eying if they didn't move way up with the lottery.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zegras is a boss not only for his performance, but also for calling out the ridiculous love that Levi got all tournament.

Hes got some of that Patrick Kane swag. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barrel thing was a cover up and Zegras himself put that Canada logo on a recycling bin LOL

If he were a football player I'd probably roll my eyes because those guys talk too much, but as a hockey player it was such a breath of fresh air that he called out Levi.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If he were a football player I'd probably roll my eyes because those guys talk too much, but as a hockey player it was such a breath of fresh air that he called out Levi.
Many Canadian fans complaining about this and the “Canadian garbage can” lol reminds me of when they made up that the Americans stomped on a Canadian flag in their locker room. :laugh: Hell hath no fury like a Canadian whose hockey team lost

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Many Canadian fans complaining about this and the “Canadian garbage can” lol reminds me of when they made up that the Americans stomped on a Canadian flag in their locker room. :laugh: Hell hath no fury like a Canadian whose hockey team lost

Trevor Zegras was so classless eh, I hope when he plays my NHL team my team's goon beats him up.

-Every Canadian

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad