Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well, SN sucks ass. So I'm fine with it. Amazon could put a software engineer who doesn't know anything about hockey on the intermission panel, and they'd be better than who they currently have.

Amazon would undoubtedly have a better streaming experience than SN+, which is over a minute behind the live feed, and constantly glitches or crashes.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The war of Mega retailers in these membership's is just getting started.
It's an arms race being watched tightly by Wall-street
Amazon gave a blank check to the NFL for thursday

Paramountplus aligned with walmart and their membership which offers streaming of NCAA, MLS

just trying to gather everything

Target is trying but failing miserably

Last edited:
Reactions: rojac

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Does this sale only apply to Canada , or will it allow Amazon to stream SN Monday Night Hockey to the US ?

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
If this means that I have to pay for an NHL package from Amazon to watch a handful of Oilers Monday night games which I'm currently getting included with my Sportsnet TV package then I'm against it.

We shouldn't have to go to multiple sources to consume the same content.

What's next, Disney+ for Tuesday games, and Netflix for Wednesdays?

Like someone said above, this streaming nonsense is turning into cable all over again, just with extra steps.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Doesn't paint a good picture for Sportsnet financials if this is what they're looking to do.

I do think the future of NHL coverage is through a major streaming service though so hopefully this does well for Amazon and then they pick up the entire ticket in Canada in a couple years down the road.
Really shouldn't be shocking, they've made so many cuts over the years now to save money that it appears cheaper for them to just pawn games off.

Ideally in a perfect world Amazon has success as you say and they put together something similar to Dazn that gives fans a lot more access to the sport.

I'm also curious if TSN offered to buy the games or not.

If this means that I have to pay for an NHL package from Amazon to watch a handful of Oilers Monday night games which I'm currently getting included with my Sportsnet TV package then I'm against it.

We shouldn't have to go to multiple sources to consume the same content.

What's next, Disney+ for Tuesday games, and Netflix for Wednesdays?

Like someone said above, this streaming nonsense is turning into cable all over again, just with extra steps.
Good thing I have all those streaming apps :laugh:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not a fan of streaming services having TV rights, they should still have the games available via cable.
Not a fan of the younger generations’ primary means of consuming media having sports game rights? :huh:

This is where everything is headed, it makes sense

Reactions: DaveG

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
f*** yeaaaaah

can't wait to sit on my primecouch and crack open a primebeer to watch some primehockey on primeday
S52hDd3.jpeg

Possible contender for "tweet that aged better than any other".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad