Am I the only person who thinks NHL16 sucks?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The game is just awful. It's been awful for 4 years now. This turd is what happens when an already morally bankrupt company has zero competition for a particular demand. Ever since 2KSports removed itself from NHL games EA has felt increasingly less inclined to put in any effort into their NHL games. Each iteration is more embarrassing than the next, and the developers and designers should feel bad.

I do not think the game is awful, but other than that I agree with you that we need a 2K NHL game back to push EA.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't necessarily hate it, but I think the poorly executed a lot of things (I only do BAP):

I get and like the fact that the AI is far more adaptive.

I like the fact that your play directs your progression.

What I don't like:
(minor things)
The removal of the custom soundtrack option.

The fact that there really isn't a "long hair" option. If someone wants to mimic Jagr's epic mullet they should have the ability to do so.

(larger thngs)
The netminder for the other team seems to stop just about everythng no matter where you aim--and 999/1000 goals you get are complete garbage

Your netminder is beyond Huet-bad. They can be beat from absoutely anywhere on the ice. If this is supposed to be a "simulation" or more of one than the prev. gen, then both netminders should be in the vicinity of the same overall compuer-generated ability--Not Vladislav Tretiak for the CPU and an epileptic manaee for you.

Even though the concept of offline practicing is good, the fact that you can't actively practice IMHO is an oversight. I don't think this should b a mandatory feature and for some aspects you can'treally "play" the practice like weight training or sprints,but idealy every facet of your EXP you should be able to raise in practice--probably with a "bonus" if you chose to live practice (but not as much asin-game). I.E. If you choose "Stick Handling" for the week, you get an option of either simming the practice for an XP bonus, or you get the familiar cone/ice setup where you can go through the cones and actively practice stickhandling and get a similar XP bonus. ditto on faceoffs, checking, fighting, boardplay, offensive positionig, defenive positionging, slapshots, wrist shots, etc.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Even though the concept of offline practicing is good, the fact that you can't actively practice IMHO is an oversight. I don't think this should b a mandatory feature and for some aspects you can'treally "play" the practice like weight training or sprints,but idealy every facet of your EXP you should be able to raise in practice--probably with a "bonus" if you chose to live practice (but not as much asin-game). I.E. If you choose "Stick Handling" for the week, you get an option of either simming the practice for an XP bonus, or you get the familiar cone/ice setup where you can go through the cones and actively practice stickhandling and get a similar XP bonus. ditto on faceoffs, checking, fighting, boardplay, offensive positionig, defenive positionging, slapshots, wrist shots, etc.

I agree. You could spend time with practicing dekes, shots, saucers, faceoffs etc. and not get punished for failing. Now if you try certain dekes you'll lose the puck 9/10 of your dekeing is low. In practice you could train all these things without the fear of your coach getting mad at you for trying new stuff. The practices could also have some really entertaining mini games to give it some depth.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My biggest grip with this game is how many **** goals happen every game. I'm not exagerating either, every game I play on EASHL has at least one fluke goal if not more. I had one game where FOUR home goals from players having the puck go off a body part or their skate and in... It's ****ing ridiculous.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oh man you're gonna make a lot of people angry. Still I agree with you. Just wanted to voice my opinion that not every one here hates the game.

Its the hard truth for a lot of people. Its a new game that is very different from previous NHL games, especially on the old console. It requires a lot of adjusting ones style and a lot of practice to understand how the new puck physics works.

I was pretty bad at the game when it first came out, like I said I'm 37-4-1 or someting like that in HUT right now, and I started off 0-2-0 because I really just couldn't get a grasp of how to play in each zone. And then I slowly started to figure it out. Now, I know exactly how the puck is gonna play in almost every situation, I know what way to approach the opposition when playing defense, and I learned how to be patient under pressure defensively and make sure you pass to the guys who are opened rather than trying to force a play that isn't available.

I win 80% of the puck scrums I'm involved in, or if I dont win, I make sure the puck is going in a favorable direction when it leaves a pile up area. It takes practice to get good at that, but its definitely not just random calculated luck.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No offense, and I mean this in the least pretentious way possible, but If you're good at the game you usually start off with a really impressive record. With how the Division system is set up people most likely are only playing guys in the lower tiered divisions so it seems like you're kicking ass and taking names due to being really good when in reality it's because you're pretty good and you're playing a lot of scrub HUT players.

Because of this it's really difficult to see how the game actually plays until November/December when people's true rankings start to play out and the people with 37-4-1 records like yourself start to play each other and not guys who are 25-22-3.

It happens to me every year. I start off really hot and notice how effective the poke check is and how deking can be so deadly if done right and what passes I can get away with. Then when I start playing guys that are actually good I realize that no, puck control is still incredibly unrealistic and games are usually the same thing over and over again because there's only so many ways to score. The game ends up being less impressive than I thought because in the beginning you're able to get away with cooler things due to talent-level discrepancy between you and your opponent.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Outshot someone 39-23, lost 7-2. Basically once I let them in my zone, I'm at risk to be scored on. You think you take away the good scoring areas, and then some glitch goals flies in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Online gameplay is truly awful.

When i play a video game I like to play it like I would a real game of hockey. I like a proper break out, getting in over the blue line, posting up and making the best available play. Unfortunately in this game that isn't possible.

The poke check is terrible. People just mash it all day because it's so overpowering and now with the latest tuner EA makes it even better. So when I try to break out of my zone for some reason my players refuse to take off with me. The wingers are on the boards facing me so when I make a pass they cant take off. They are stuck mid circle and before they can do anything at all there are 2 players on them mashing poke check and the puck can never get out of the zone. Instead I have to twist and turn and be a figure skater which is the exact person I hate to play against.

When you get in over the blue line you have to twist and turn and make your own lanes again. You cant pass the puck because the invisible shield which extends 12 inches around the stick of each opposing player will intercept every single pass even when they're not watching the play. Yet if i make a tape to tape pass my player cant pick it up for the life of himself. Sounds realistic eh?

In NHL 16 you cant hit, you cant pass and you cant break out of your zone. But hey who cares since the guys who think they are heros for mashing poke check and figure skating now have the game of their dreams.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
First game I played I thought the passing just sucked but then once I found out the gameplay was 'hardcore' I haven't had a problem with it. I remembered playing offline games on hardcore and how the passing was and since then I'm fine with it. Sometimes it's hard to make the perfect pass because it's harder, but I like it since you actually have to be good at the game and not just easily be able to get passes through arcade style

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I agree. You could spend time with practicing dekes, shots, saucers, faceoffs etc. and not get punished for failing. Now if you try certain dekes you'll lose the puck 9/10 of your dekeing is low. In practice you could train all these things without the fear of your coach getting mad at you for trying new stuff. The practices could also have some really entertaining mini games to give it some depth.

Agreed. I would even expand the idea to this:

When you pick your weekly training, every training regimen you pick (or your coach assigns) goes into the practice pool. If you choose to sim practice you get the random increase based on what the practice advertises--noting that some practices have to be simmed like weight training or sprints--no reason to add a QWOP game to NHL. ;).

If you choose to partake in live practice, you're only allowed to go into the practices chosen, and each time you do it it counts as 1 practice session. i.e. if you select faceoffs 3 times in the week, and you do a live faceoff practice, it counts as 1 session--you can sim the other 2. When you're doing the practice session (and you can practice all aspects--fighting and aggressivness need this as well), it counts successful tries, not a finite XP. When doing a life practice you can't get less than what's randomly possible for a simmed practice, but you can get more XP than a simmed one, but not as much as in-game. It's why I say successful attempts and not a finite XP--I don't think you should be able to grind XP in practice without playing a single game.

And yes, the mini games. You could not only have minigames for stickhandling, defense, offense, breakouts, deking, forecheck, faceoffs, fighting, and boardplay, but you can also tweak the difficulty in-practice based upon the team. Using the Blackhawks, for an example, if you're practicing faceoffs, practicing against Dejardins or Shaw it's easier to win a faceoff, but weighted less. If you practice against Toews or Kruger, your change of winning is less but weighted more for slighly higher XP earned per win. Same with something like boardplay. If you're working on boardplay against Teemu Teravainen it's going to be easier to be successful but should be weighted less. A guy like Seabrook of course wighted more but harder to win. It should also be limited to players within the system of the team you're on.

Personally, I think that would be great.
~~~~
I think I may ahve spoken too soon on the netminder difficulty--or a tuner update was downloaded. Last night I was able to score. A lot. My netminders were still sieves but even at allstar difficulty it went from acing a 4'x6' cinderblock wall to someone who's actually beatable in a realistic way.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
The game is okay so far imo, but it's certainly not perfect.

My complaints in no order:

- EASHL/drop-ins are fun with a human goalie, CPU goalies make too many incredible saves on one-timers and high percentage plays, yet they let in weak shots from the point with no one near them.

- The ''invite a friend'' option for drop-ins on Xbox One is broken, I hope it gets fixed soon.

- The fact there's no soudtrack is pretty lame, not dramatic tho.

- The speed is alright in every game modes except EASHL. I'm just not a fan of everyone having the exact same player and it feels sluggish as hell but that's just me.

- The fact you don't have to upgrade you player at all is kinda boring. It takes away a big part of the experience, for me anyway. A mix between the old system and the class system would be nice.

- Passing is a pain in the ass and inaccurate as ****, also hitting is broken and needs to be tuned up.

- CPU interceptions are OP and need to be toned down.

- I know it's no biggie but the fact you can't change your hair style and color, why?

- I haven't played a lot of goalie games yet, but I just think it feels awkward overall. I just prefered the old controls but I'll probably get used to it.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd gladly trade keeping the passing at the way it is for a hitting buff.

There is no reason why you your guy should brush off someone as they're protecting the puck along the boards. Protecting the puck is supposed to keep it in towards your body so you can make it difficult to pick up after contact, not give you a magic forcefield.

The amount of goals i've given up because the guy does this along the boards and somehow gets off a pass is infuriating.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
As long as GM mode and be a pro are good I will be satisfied

Yeah but there is no 3 min period option for be a pro. Just the 20 sim. Typically I try to average three games a day since I only got an hour a day to play. Wish they added the 3 min periods back in.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
- I haven't played a lot of goalie games yet, but I just think it feels awkward overall. I just prefered the old controls but I'll probably get used to it.

You can change the goalie controls back to the old ones in the settings menu.

But I agree with the OP, this game is pretty bad.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Yeah but there is no 3 min period option for be a pro. Just the 20 sim. Typically I try to average three games a day since I only got an hour a day to play. Wish they added the 3 min periods back in.

The 3 min periods this yr is NOT really 3 min. i'd say it's even longer than the previous 4 min periods of the past games. I wish they'd fix this too so i can play more games a day.

These 3 min periods are looong..

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
My beef with this game: (HUT)

Menus are lagging bad in this game.
Games are lagging bad in this game.
Too many glitches in the market place.
No new legends, in fact, they took two of the biggest out of the game.

I mean... I'm nostalgic with the legends, I would like to see more than Mr. Norris (Swedish players I mean) and it would be great with more than one Russian. I get it, they have to pay to use certain players in the game, but by God PAY THEM!!!!

Forsberg, Sundin, Näslund.... Add legends for the SHL as well; (Kenny Jönsson, Jörgen Jönsson, Stefan Liv) You name it...

This is the problem with monopoly, nothing gets better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad