Am I the only person who thinks NHL16 sucks?

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
This just might be the worst game since 09. Tons of glitches, and the online play is terrible. They call it Hardcore and brag about the realism, until you realize what it really is, is them taking all the annoying things about real hockey, multiplying them times 10, and taking a lot of good things away. It's luck of the draw if your pass to the wide open player will be received, or whether your poke check will work. I lost a game 3-2 in which I outshot my opponent 45-16! And no, it's not because I suck. I have a winning record pretty much every year.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Yeah ive been *****ing about this in two other threads so might aswell start here too.

It is awful. Its not like i can stop playing it, but it really blows.
Every god damn pass gets intercepted by some random poke and the goals scored...wow. Goalies often make insane saves and always lets random poopers with clear sight from the blueline past them.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah ive been *****ing about this in two other threads so might aswell start here too.

It is awful. Its not like i can stop playing it, but it really blows.
Every god damn pass gets intercepted by some random poke and the goals scored...wow. Goalies often make insane saves and always lets random poopers with clear sight from the blueline past them.

Yes! Off the post and in, like clockwork. NHL09 was pretty much the first game of its generation, they cleaned it up for NHL10, but damn, it's going to be a long year if the difference between being good or bad at this game is whether or not you know the glitches. I like working the puck around and making plays, not worrying about whether or not this shot my goalie can clearly see is going in or not

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Yeah. Ive been playing HUT for 30 games now and really this game feels like it takes so much less skill than 15.
Every god damn team has Helm+Hagelin+Cogliano etc throwing random pucks at the net and somehow pulls it off.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I don't find it fun. There comes a point where you try to make certain elements too real.

Another example is Madden this year with ****ing holding, hands to the face, and PI calls all game long. Yes, that's what I want in my video game. A 15 yard completion on 3rd and 12 called back by phantom holding. I now relive why I hate the NFL so much on Sundays every time I fire up my console.

Reminds me of the idiots that constantly wanted hand balls to be incorporated into FIFA.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
It's pretty unplayable. Of course we will all play it but the balance of realism and fun is so far off. The other team AI isn't programmed to play defense hey are programmed to play offense so while you're on offense you just get bum rushed which isn't realistic or fun. The goalies are worse then ever. I feel like they have a shooting algorithm that is very in favor of the computer while not having their play play be at a similar level. I never get scored on the cycle or rush just a cheap fluke that my goalie ignores. Low rated 70-80 computer players can outplay stars and I have guys that are 6'4 getting laid out by Tyler Ennis types.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
It also seems as though your computers are actively trying to sabotage you. Getting in the way when you decide to rush the puck up yourself(because even your simplest pass to a wide open player might not be received), or overskating rebounds you create, or worse other team's rebounds.

Sep 19, 2008
IT's a bit difficult and I'm still struggling to win on pro settings but I still enjoy it

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't find it fun. There comes a point where you try to make certain elements too real.

Another example is Madden this year with ****ing holding, hands to the face, and PI calls all game long. Yes, that's what I want in my video game. A 15 yard completion on 3rd and 12 called back by phantom holding. I now relive why I hate the NFL so much on Sundays every time I fire up my console.

Reminds me of the idiots that constantly wanted hand balls to be incorporated into FIFA.

Ding ding ding.

Offline i think it's fine. Online though? Terrible. It's slow, unresponsive, clunky and a chore to play.

Don't believe me? Go play a game on hardcore superstar and then go play a game online. The difference is disgusting.

I love how every EA fanboy's answer to this argument is "hurr sounds like you need to get good." No, i don't need to get good when i've been winning consistently since i got back into these games with 11. It's not realistic, it's not fun. It's garbage (offline is ok i guess)

Online is so bad it made me go buy Destiny so i can find another timesink. This is legit the last EA NHL game i buy. I disliked 15, i think i might dislike 16 even more.

Aug 6, 2012
This game blows online. I can't remember the last time I scored a sick goal... its just a bunch of ****** looking goals. It feels like I'm playing pond hockey with middle schoolers.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
This game blows online. I can't remember the last time I scored a sick goal... its just a bunch of ****** looking goals. It feels like I'm playing pond hockey with middle schoolers.
Had a guy quit earlier after I scored two against the grain slapshots that hit the goalie in the shoulder and dipped over him and finally went in after 2-3 seconds. Awful stuff

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
This is hands down the worst NHL game I have ever played. Offline is ok, but it's constantly freezing on me.

Online is horrendous. Where do I even begin?

-The passing is complete ****. I had a 2-0 tonight and I went to pass backdoor and was pointing my joystick towards the open player...only to pass the puck into the opposite corner....
-The puck always gets tied up on the side of the net and players over skate it.
-Passes always hit skates and get redirected.
-Pokechecks and stick lifts are way too OP
-Basically to win in Hut you just have to spam poke check and go for back door goals or shortside goals when you come out from the corners.

And more! While I was playing tonight I was making a list of all the things I hate about it, but I can't remember them all now.

I'm heavily considering trading in NHL for 2k16. Thank you EA for ruining my favorite game...again.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Game is terrible. I wish I hadn't pre-ordered it. I've played it maybe twice since it came out. If I hadn't pre-ordered it I'd still be in my 10 hour trial from EA Access...I've played it maybe 3 hours. Like someone said, it's a chore to play. Wish I hadn't bought it digitally so I could trade it in.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I have a love hate relationship with this game but I still think EA is heading towards the right direction. I agree to point where you have to stop being super realistic since it is a video game but I still think the game is fun in a challenging way. NHL 15 in comparison was super bland and boring to play. I'd always get bored from playing half way through my first game. There are somethings they have to fix like the AI behind the net. I also agree that this game is a total gongshow in terms of crappy goals. There are so many own goals or just pure garbage ones. They have to tone that down big time. Oh & fix the god damn chop.

Last edited:

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Anyone else notice how the computer can do really cool board moves to move past a pin or in a fight they can pull you to the ground but they don't give the player an option for those....did they just not map the controls for that?

Domrie

go crazy [PS4]
Jun 18, 2012
Anyone else notice how the computer can do really cool board moves to move past a pin or in a fight they can pull you to the ground but they don't give the player an option for those....did they just not map the controls for that?

When you get pinned, you move your analog. Sometimes your guy can move, sometimes you can't. I would guess it's dependent on strength and size

Fights, you can still pull people. Move the LS to start pulling and pushing, and you could also do it after a dodge too.

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
When you're in the offensive zone passing to your defense is almost impossible. Either the pass goes somewhere random or they're almost always out of position....

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
I just got an refund from Xbox on my digital edition, EA didn't give me the correct amount of packs and the game play is beyond frustrating, maybe next year EA.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Gameplay is improved, everything else is a disaster.

- Glitch where controller goes crazy and skips
- Glitch where players won't save in your lineup
- Glitch where you put player on auction and it freezes
- Twice in HUT now they've released special packs which aren't showing on market
- My free packs which I get each week are now not showing up

Pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad