Am I the only person who thinks NHL16 sucks?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm just curious. Now that this game is nearing its end, if you could put a number to it, how many times have you had to restart this game because of crashes of some sort? Mine has to be in the 600's easily. It's been a bad year. Looking forward to moving on to 17.

Depends if you're playing EASHL.

It'll freeze every time if the captain doesn't pause at intro.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Depends if you're playing EASHL.

It'll freeze every time if the captain doesn't pause at intro.

Well, I was kind of looking for more of a number than an explanation but you are probably right. That should be in the instructions no? Any way you slice it six hundred crashes is a bit over the top.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I almost made the mistake of getting NHL 17, but luckily playing it today with EA access let me see howhat they haven't addressed a damn thing. I miss 2k, EA actually gave a **** and put in effort when they had competition.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Strange complaining. I guess it could be different for offline modes but online I found NHL 16 to be the best so far and I've played every version since EASHL came out.

The experience of course depends on your own expectations and your skill level, and of those playing around you.

Gameplay wise the only real complaint I have is the disappearing pucks that sometimes go through the boards. And it would be great to have an option to get rid of trolls as well. CPU replacements for quitters should be worse than they are now.

Snipez*

With the right sliders, NHL 16 played great for me. It was pretty realistic.

Mar 12, 2009
Why would you buy the next game in the series if the last one sucked? What are you? Crack-addicts?

Look at post 2 in the thread. Guy says it's awful, but "it's not like I can stop playing it". Sums it up. If you really hate it, don't play. I personally prefer single player modes and enjoyed it so I'll be getting the new one (provided it doesn't drive off a cliff in quality), but it was the first time I decided to get rid of it at the start of the summer while it still had some value, rather than play it all summer.

Every year people complain regardless of how the game comes out. My only complaint with GM/Franchise mode is that their seems to be a pretty significant randomness factor in how much development progress your players make from year to year, which can be off putting when your managing certain players minutes a certain way all year, only for the pay off to be largely influenced by random chance.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Look at post 2 in the thread. Guy says it's awful, but "it's not like I can stop playing it". Sums it up. If you really hate it, don't play. I personally prefer single player modes and enjoyed it so I'll be getting the new one (provided it doesn't drive off a cliff in quality), but it was the first time I decided to get rid of it at the start of the summer while it still had some value, rather than play it all summer.

Every year people complain regardless of how the game comes out. My only complaint with GM/Franchise mode is that their seems to be a pretty significant randomness factor in how much development progress your players make from year to year, which can be off putting when your managing certain players minutes a certain way all year, only for the pay off to be largely influenced by random chance.

It's the same behaviour a beaten wife might display. Just *** stupid.

Go waste your money on something else than continue to line the pockets of these developers even they apparently care less and less about putting out a quality game.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
NHL 17 is very, very good once again. I enjoyed 16 a lot, but 17 is definitely a clear step up.

That said, I also think they made the game a little worse compared to the Beta. The beta was the best NHL Gameplay I've ever played. The actual game feels a little bit more clumsy, while also appeasing to the cheese players online more(Although still a vast improvement in this regard to last year).

EASHL is the best its ever been though. The game has the perfect amount of randomness, but still allows you to have a lot of individualistic skills. Perfect mesh of real life hockey and video game hockey I think.

The new game modes are quite fun, Franchise mode is sick, and Draft Champions will undoubtedly be a huge hit for a lot of people. With HUT, I think for a lot of people losing the ability to trade and do collections with friends and stuff will hurt for a while, but Sets are very cool and has been extremely well implemented. Once people warm up to the idea I think they'll find themselves having a lot of fun with this as well.

All in all, through 20 hours with the early access so far, I think this years game is a huge step up from last years. A solid 8/10. If they had kept gameplay untouched from the Beta, I'd be tempted to give it a 9.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I've been playing 09 again because my one broke and it's so much better than any of the new ones. So much more of a realistic feel. Obviously it still has issues but it's funny how the game has actually got worse over such a huge time period.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Late to the party (got it for cheap recently after refusing to pay anywhere close to full price when it came out a year or so ago), but holy hell, the defense AI sucks. Playing defense, in general, sucks.

Seems like every time I take control of a player, he gets walked because the player takes a stutter step after I take control of it. And if I leave the AI to defend, he never takes the man. Seems every single goal scored against me is a cross-ice one-timer because my defenseman never covers his man.

Even the CP defenders suck defensively. The only thing they seem to do well is intercept passes, but they don't actually cover their man, don't take away my ability to take a shot in dangerous areas.

It's like whoever programmed this game doesn't understand what players are supposed to do when they don't have the puck and are defending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad