Am I ridiculous?

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Just thought I'd pose this question to you guys. I just turned 30 and I've been playing hockey in various forms since I was 15. I just started playing again for the first time in 3 years (roughly). I always used to be one of the best guys in my leagues (B Level) and now I'm not. My skating has turned to **** for some reason. I have issues stopping, can't remember my technique. My question is, am I crazy for wanting to take skating lessons?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
no, not at all. If you wanna relearn how to skate well again, go for it. Nothing ridiculous about it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
one or two good hours with someone who knows what they're talking about could make you not only remember what to do, it could make you better than you were in time. of course, lessons only work if you practice on your own as well.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Skating is as easy as like riding a log...er...falling off a bike...er...well heck - it ain't easy. It is quite counter-intuitive. If I miss a week or two of practice, I have to gain my confidence back before I feel right.
Did you take lessons when you first started skating or were you "self-taught"?
Like STAALed said, if you want to take lessons to improve your skating - go for it! Who's gonna stop ya?

}:)>

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
No, not at all.

I go to powerskating all the time and I've been skating since I was 4, including proper skating lessons.

Just go, be a sponge and have fun!

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I say go for it, I don't think it will take much to get your skating back.

I'm in a similiar predicament. I started playing in a pretty competitive rec league 2 years ago after a 7 year layoff and quickly found out I'm not the player I used to be either. I didn't so much lose my skating tecnique but I lost my speed, stamina, hands, periphial vision, shot, ect, ect....

I've had games where I got a bit discouraged, thinking I can't help like I used to but after 2 years it's slowly starting to come back

I'm 39 now playing against a bunch of speedy 20 year olds. I'm a defensive defensman now after I used to be a power type winger. The point is when you get involved in a close, hard fought, give your all type game, there is no better feeling and I know for me personally anyways I'm glad I persevered when it would have just as been as easy to say I can't cut it anymore.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
JM47 said:
always self taught. thanks for the replies. I guess I just feel weird taking lessons now thats all.
I am 37 and play rec hockey.(I played as high as junior B when younger) I have considered taking a lesson to try and improve.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Theres a guy on my team that last season led us in all categories Goals, assists Points......and over the break in the last season hes started taking power skating lessons....i played against him last night and it was just crazy how much more of a force he was on the ice im seriously considering taking the class as well and ive been playing since i was 4 now im 20 GO FOR IT MAN it can only help you. Practice cant harm anything!

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Hell, I wish I had money to take skating lessons.. I know my skating isn't as optimal as it could be. If you're getting back into hockey, skating is the most important skill there is. If you can't skate properly, it's hard to use your other skills.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
sevenSteen said:
Definately take 'em.

I thought this thread would be about you wanting to make the NHL at the age of 30. ;)

hahahaha.

Wow after reading the replies I feel like an idiot for not signing up yet!

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
go for it man, if it makes you a better player, you'll have more fun.

power skating was my bread and butter as a kid, taught by David Roy, Philly Flyers skating coach and it did wonders for my game when I was around 13/14

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Ok it is totally worth it. After I got over the embarrassment of being one of three adults in the class it was great. It's kinda funny seeing 30 yr old guys skating with 8 yr olds... Anyway it is definitely worth the money, time and embarrassment. I also get my skates sharpened by Bob at noicingsports.com - a huge improvement over my local rink.

Go4Gold

Jul 14, 2006
Do it! Power skating is an amazing form of excercise and if it helps you get out and get active plus its something you enjoy - then I think its a great idea.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I found once I hit the age of 30 I couldnt play the same either....always getting hurt I think all those years of sports growing up have to hit you at some point in your life but if I were you I would not hesitate to take some lessons maybe there is just a flaw in one part of your game that is affecting all of your play...good luck

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Honestly, skating lessons are a waste unless you can get some testimonial.

Power skating or actually hockey camps are where it's at, anyways to answer your question. No, you're not!

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I know this is an old thread (the original poster is probably done with his class by now) but IMO you can always be a better skater and relearning the fundamentals is never a waste.

BTW, keep in mind that muscle strength, especially in your core, is about as important as technique. If you've gotten out of shape since the last time you skated you might also want to visit the gym -- work your quadriceps, hamstrings and front and back abdominals. It really makes a difference.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Well the class is almost over and I will probably take more. I will say that it did help. Mainly going to the rink and just skating is what helped the most. The fact that I didn't have a puck to play around with and I had to skate for 30 minutes straight helped. I was expecting a bit more from the class...haven't learned much but the ice time is invaluable.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Definitely skate as much as you can -- much of what I know now I owe Laura Stamm's Power Skating book and trying specific exercises during public skating.

I'm taking a hockey skills class and, though I really enjoy it, I don't get to work on the specific skills or problems I'd like as much as I'd like to. It helps, but I'm much more successful in the class doing things I've already tried on my own. It's rare for me to get an instructor's undivided attention, but if he can give a quick piece of advice or correct my stance he will. If you've got the money you might consider a private instructor. Or, there are some new hockey programs that are springing up -- you skate on a 1/4 sized rink on some kind of pseudo ice, they videotape you as you skate and together you analyze your technique.

Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad