Alzner upside?

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Over on the caps board there is a pretty strong debate over Alzners upside. Some argue that he will be, when developed, an offensively limited #3 defensive defenseman. Others he could possibly evolve into a #1 or 2 shutdown d-man who contributes ~40 points a year.

Whats your opinion?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Top pairing with tremendous defensive capabilities.

I guarentee he will get traded alot in his career though.

Apr 6, 2004
Honestly that is truely a brainless thing to say, how can anyone besides Ecklund predict somthing like that. Anyways, IMO #1-#3 (likely a 2) with approx 40pts, I'm hoping he get's a little bigger and can become a true enforcer with that cannon from the blue line.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think he will be the type of defenseman that will always leave you wanting a little bit more...more offense, more physicality, more of an "edge". in that respect, I think he'll be frustrating to watch if he is on your team. nonetheless, he is a safe NHL pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Serious question: How on Earth can you guarantee something like that?

He's the kind of defender you'd see get moved at deadlines alot. Something everybody needs and could be easily attained. He isn't superb but he can be a good bargaining chip. And he isn't indespencable.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
He's the kind of defender you'd see get moved at deadlines alot. Something everybody needs and could be easily attained. He isn't superb but he can be a good bargaining chip. And he isn't indespencable.

If he's something that everybody needs, as you just said, that by itself would make him INDISPENSABLE.

Apr 6, 2004
Finn, you make little to no sense with your arguement not to mention there's hardly any support to back up your point.

And in regards to the comparison to Regher and Foote ... Foote in his prime was a damn good #2 d man behind Blake in Colorado, would be ok with me but I'd like to see more offense.

Bam Beet*

He's in the Robyn Regher, Adam Foote mold. His high side is around those guys.

I'm not sure he's physical enough to be compared to those two. He's probably just as good defensively though. Maybe a bigger, stronger version of Jordan Leopold. A great two way defenceman who can put up 35-40 points a year and play smart positionally and use his stick effectively in his own end.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Any chance he starts the season in Washington?

There were pre-draft rumblings that he was one of the most NHL-ready prospects, is this true?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Alzner is not a hitter. He'll top out to be a Scott Hannan type defenseman. Solid and reliable, nothing flashy and isn't going to put up big numbers.

Ess_37

Aug 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Alzner is not a hitter. He'll top out to be a Scott Hannan type defenseman. Solid and reliable, nothing flashy and isn't going to put up big numbers.

This is what I'd agree with. Being a Hitmen fan, and watching him throughout the year that is the comparison I would draw. I think that he might be able to put up bigger numbers than Hannan, but not by a wide margin.

The thing about Alzner is that you never really notice him. He doesn't make the spectacular plays, but rarely makes bonehead mistakes. Not overly physical, but is more than capable of making solid hits.

I see him as a #2-3 defenseman, and someone who can be the point man on the second PP unit.

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

Hannan's a perfect comparison for Alzner. He'll be solid both ways, not flashy, and not as capable as Phillips is.

You could call him a top-pairing defenseman, but only if he can complement a true #1.

IMO Ellerby and Plante have some legit Pronger-like upside; with the size, skating ability, physique, and offensive flair to take over hockey games. However, there's no telling to what extent they'll develop.

The thing about Alzner is the guy is GUARANTEED to be a top-3 defenseman over the course of his career.

Ellerby/Plante have more upside, yet are higher risk. They could be the next Pronger, or the next Kurtis Foster

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is what I'd agree with. Being a Hitmen fan, and watching him throughout the year that is the comparison I would draw. I think that he might be able to put up bigger numbers than Hannan, but not by a wide margin.

The thing about Alzner is that you never really notice him. He doesn't make the spectacular plays, but rarely makes bonehead mistakes. Not overly physical, but is more than capable of making solid hits.

I see him as a #2-3 defenseman, and someone who can be the point man on the second PP unit.

Good post and agree with your analysis.

I've seen the Hitmen alot as well. I think this is a very good read on Alzner. I see him as a 2/3 with mid 20 to 30's point total. Steady, smart, solid but I don't see high offensive upside. Very good skater who will make the smart pass. For a pretty big body guy, Al is surprising not physical. A good prospect who will be an NHLer but a cut below recent Dub bluechip d draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad