Alzner upside?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The thing about Alzner is that you never really notice him. He doesn't make the spectacular plays, but rarely makes bonehead mistakes. Not overly physical, but is more than capable of making solid hits.
This is pretty similar to what Caps fans have seen (and had heard about) from another former Calgary defenseman in Jeff Schultz. Alzner's smaller and more mobile, of course, but those same steadiness qualities when it comes to decision-making has already been apparent in Schultz's stay with the Caps this past season.

As for whether or not Alzner can make the Caps this fall, it is possible. Washington plans to upgrade its defense but I could see a scenario where they add just one defenseman and Alzner wows them into making the team (at least temporarily). Morrisonn, Jurcina, Schultz and Pothier should each be on the club next fall. That leaves Alzner to battle with Green, Eminger, Erskine and Boumedienne (at this point) for one of the last couple of roster spots. Green can be sent down to Hershey, while Eminger could be traded between now and training camp. Boumedienne could easily wind up back in Europe with a lackluster training camp performance.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Alzner reminds me a lot of Wade Redden, at both ends of the rink. Won't be a 50-60 point guy, but he has a very high hockey IQ and makes all kinds of good decisions with the puck. He won't be a dominant point man, but I do think he'll be a guy who sees a fair bit of PP time and puts up 30-40 points/season pretty consistently over the course of his career. I certainly think his offensive upside is substantially higher than guys like Regehr/Foote/Hannan who are basically 20-point players throughout their careers.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I think this thread is WACK. We're heard so many comparisions from Regehr, Foote, Redden, Hannan, Stuart.

Here is my take on him, good defensively, nice shot from the point, good passing skills, mobile, good size, and uses the body well. I think he can become a #1 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad